Loud tranny whine in overdrive

Established Member
At about 1500 miles, I was accelerating on the higway in 4th gear when all of a sudden the tranny started whining loudly and the shifter started vibrating (metal on metal whirring noise). I came to a complete stop, and even with the gear selector in neutral, it was still whirring loudly. I put it into first, and with a thunk the noise went away.

Ever since then, when crusing in overdrive gears and at just barely part throttle, I get a noticeable whine noise. I can hear it over my Alpine 9815 turned up to vol 15 (fairly loud). This is incredibly noticeable at 70-80mph, but also noticeable in 5th around 50-55mph. It only does it at part throttle, like maintaining speed or just slightly decelerating. It does not make a noise under acceleration (mild or aggressive) nor full deceleration.

Before I went to Las Vegas 2 weeks ago, I left the car with my SVT dealer. I explicitly told them how to reproduce the problem, and left them with contact information if they could not duplicate it. I come back 7 days later, and of course they didn't do shit. A friend told me they left it outside for 4 days before touching it. When I dropped it off, they said they'd get to it that day. :rollseyes:

They wrote on the service paper that they could not reproduce problem and that they heard "normal rear-end noise." I can promise you this noise is not normal, it sounds like transmission whine due to too much backlash - if you've ever heard that before.

Has anyone else had this problem??

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
The tranny in those cars are normally very noisy. Take it in to your dealer and have them check it out for you. Sounds like something is wrong.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can you take it to another SVT dealer for a look-see?

Users who are viewing this thread