low intercooler coolant?

lgonz051

Established Member
Breaking in the clutch and I have not been dogging it all and i noticed my intercooler coolant level was low. Not empty, but maybe an inch lower from the last time i remember. My question is do these things need to be re-filled over time? Just had an oil change and the oil is not milky, and im not blowing white smoke through my tailpipes. And i cannot find any leaks on any of the hoses. I have however been driving with the a/c on full blast and I did have the LDC head cooling mod installed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As long as you are just topping off and don't open the system at all you will fill at the reservoir. No need to burp the system then. The normal mix is 50/50 (distilled water and coolant), and also add a little Water Wetter. If you are just adding a small amount of coolant, you can add straight distilled water. Start the car and let it run and get up to normal temp. Then start adding coolant after the thermostat opens.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Due to the age of these cars at this point it has become important to watch for this to happen.

1. If the pump stops working it is possible for some coolant to boil out and drop the level, so check your pump.

2. If an H/E has gotten nicked by a stone it can seep out coolant and drop the level, a pressure test will show where it is leaking if it is.

3. A high percentage of water in the coolant mix can promote more electrolysis action than 50-50 mixes unless sufficient water wetter additives and the like are used. Even correct mixes can see electrolytic action over time. This can effect both the H/E and the intercooler, be aware of this.

4. A leaking intercooler in the intake can be catastrophic. The only early warning you will get is low coolant. If you find low coolant make sure you find out WHY!!! So that if it is internal in the intake from the intercooler you will fix it before you hydrolock the engine and bend up a bunch of rods and trash the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread