Lowballing, need Opinions

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I always price things well over what I actually intend to get for them, that way when I get ridiculous lowballs, they are actually more in line with what I wanted to get originally, and I can work with them.

In the event that I don't get any lowballs, then I get more than what I really wanted for an item.

That said - if I was selling a car for 23k, and you offered 21k - I would consider that a reasonable offer, unless I had been dropping the price and 23k was the absolute lowest I could go.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
take the car to a mechanic, or inspect it yourself, come up with a list of what it will cost to fix paint chips, tires as needed, maintanence (was the 30k etc factory maintanence done?) does the driver seat need to be replace because of wear and go from there.
when buying a used car from a private party, it doesn't matter if the paint is chipped or maintenance is needed. If it passes an inspection as being roadworthy by a mechanic without any major repairs, the car is sold as is at whatever the seller is asking. If it had everything fixed perfect, the price would be higher to start with, you're getting a discounted price because it NEEDS certain work done usually.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Lowballing, that is offering 25-50% or more off the asking price is generally a sign that the potential buyer is not qualified and is uneducated in the areana that they are in (this assumes that the asking price is in the reasonable range). If you are serious about making an offer approach the seller with a reason(s) why you want to pay less.

Taking OP's example where the asking price is $23k, take the car to a mechanic, or inspect it yourself, come up with a list of what it will cost to fix paint chips, tires as needed, maintanence (was the 30k etc factory maintanence done?) does the driver seat need to be replace because of wear and go from there.

If you can only afford $15k this will prove to be the wrong car for you. If you are thinking that the car is worth $21k you are probably in the ballpark.

Exactly, I can't stand when I have stuff for sale and people just throw an outlandish offer out there. If someone is within reason, I will work with them, but asking 25% off of the price, take a walk.

Users who are viewing this thread