lower pulley disassembly

TRBO VNM

I honestly don't recall. I had one come off when I was trying to take the whole lower cage off, so I had to spin the pulley off and then still get the rest off. Then when I bought that stock caged lower, the pulley was loose so you could align it after install and get the retaining bracket bolted on.

If I had my car in the garage I would just loosen the nuts and figure it out for you, but it is in my other garage with no lift and limited room. Sorry.

If you still can't figure it out by the weekend, I will have some extra time then to take a look at mine. Right now I have a couple of cars I am working on and need to knock some stuff out this week.

BTW, I did have a tool made similar. It has 3 dowel pins in it with a hole cut out in the middle so I could still use the allen tool and socket as designed to do a lower kit install and my tool also has a stop on it for the ratchet. then I just use a pipe on the tool I had made. So I think it is reverse thread since one time the pulley did pop loose.

hotcobra03

Established Member
ok..i got mine apart today...it is threaded and is tight..it took the threads with it coming out..there is enough to file and reattach i hope...heres pic of my tri bar..as you see i didnt have a choice not to try...

i have gotten new rubber to put in..im going to have to make 3 posts to replace these..
its dark now i will take a pic of how i held it to remove with just a breaker bar and heat

IMG_9561.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
it was reversed thread..

for the rubber,,its a trial..i went to a hose supply store and i got a 1 1/4 hydraulic hose..its looks like power brake hose from a truck ..its rubber around steel braided hose..its around a 1/2 thick or more..it just goes over my pinky finger ..so i got my brain thinking on what to use for a post...im thinking a shock bolt/stud for truck ,this has the shaft and can be threaded into try bar with a nut to lock it..with keeping all three even in weight as i can...i was thinking guide pin for caliper also..

i will post more pics tommorrow

hotcobra03

Established Member
ok here are some more pics...

my plan is now to find 3 wheel studs to press into tri bar..than i have a 1/2 steel pipe..in going to thread the pipe to screw onto stud..that will be my new post..that will be repairable from autozone visit..

the hole is 9/16 now..i dont want to hunt a tap that large so i changed plan to a stud with tube threaded it should hold fine...

IMG_9563.jpg

the black metal piece i think was for a hitch for a riding mover..
IMG_9564.jpg

the crossmember is from my f150..nice crack from huck bolt

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9562.jpg

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
here is pic of new post..the rubber is just for show , wheel stud will be pressed in than the steel is threaded,,1/2 x20

IMG_9583.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
If you can successfully rebuild it that will be great. They do wear out and unfortunately are discontinued, so damn hard to find a replacement.

hotcobra03

Established Member
im so close...i have made all the post but to tight with the hose i got..i have 1 small piece of the rubber i was using that fits snug in hand...

took awhile to file threads on allen but got it to spin on tight to tribar...its alittle over kill but can have post made by machine shop for a custom fit after some trial time...

here are some more pics
IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9588.jpg

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I have a little to add to this post. I broke my lower pulley where is is connected to the hex head shaft. I also broke two sockets trying to get the hex head bolt to loosen. I should've taken picture of it before i remove the lower pulley.
Here is what it should've looked like.
dsci0386m.jpg

I did not find any posts to take apart the lower pulley. I rent a pulley form OReilly's.
dsci0377z.jpg

The crank pulley came off with a slight pop. I was using a 3/8 racket and didn't have muscle it too hard to get the pulley off.
dsci0374.jpg

dsci0376w.jpg

Here is the caged pulley on the car with the lower pulley removed.
dsci0373d.jpg

Here is a picture of the caged pulley removed and the lower pulley removed also.
dsci0378j.jpg

I was able to get a pipe wrench on the hex head shaft and with a couple of whacks with a 2lb hammer it broke loose.
dsci0379.jpg

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have a little to add to this post. I broke my lower pulley where is is connected to the hex head shaft. I also broke two sockets trying to get the hex head bolt to loosen. I should've taken picture of it before i remove the lower pulley.
Here is what it should've looked like.
dsci0386m.jpg

I did not find any posts to take apart the lower pulley. I rent a pulley form OReilly's.
dsci0377z.jpg

The crank pulley came off with a slight pop. I was using a 3/8 racket and didn't have muscle it too hard to get the pulley off.
dsci0374.jpg

dsci0376w.jpg

Here is the caged pulley on the car with the lower pulley removed.
dsci0373d.jpg

Here is a picture of the caged pulley removed and the lower pulley removed also.
dsci0378j.jpg

I was able to get a pipe wrench on the hex head shaft and with a couple of whacks with a 2lb hammer it broke loose.
dsci0379.jpg

where is the tri bar? so far it doent look beyond repair

the hex bolt is easy if you put a bar through driveshaft trans yoke..to hold crankshaft...

an update on mine..since repair its been great..still feels just as tight..

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
where is the tri bar? so far it doent look beyond repair

the hex bolt is easy if you put a bar through driveshaft trans yoke..to hold crankshaft...

an update on mine..since repair its been great..still feels just as tight..

The tri-bar broke off, it somewhere on the runway, my last event in which i lost all power. See where the rust is at in the last couple of pictures, that's where the tri-bar used to be at. It broke near the threads. Since there is rust there now it must have been fractured already.

I did put a bar thru the driveshaft. I broke two sockets. The hexhead is now stripped. I have removed it twice before. The first time was back in 2006.

I already have another one, just need to install it now.

hotcobra03

Established Member
The tri-bar broke off, it somewhere on the runway, my last event in which i lost all power. See where the rust is at in the last couple of pictures, that's where the tri-bar used to be at. It broke near the threads. Since there is rust there now it must have been fractured already.

I did put a bar thru the driveshaft. I broke two sockets. The hexhead is now stripped. I have removed it twice before. The first time was back in 2006.

I already have another one, just need to install it now.

was there any damage done when bar flew off?

question?
when you pulled the pulley,that bearing is staked..you say it poped off easy,did it appear to be a loose fit and stake was all that held it..
this would be about the only thing needed for a rebuild on mine next time

are you staying with stock caged or going metco?

something says we are going to have to in the years to come

racebronco2

Established Member
was there any damage done when bar flew off?

question?
when you pulled the pulley,that bearing is staked..you say it poped off easy,did it appear to be a loose fit and stake was all that held it..
this would be about the only thing needed for a rebuild on mine next time

are you staying with stock caged or going metco?

something says we are going to have to in the years to come

No damage that i can see. I drove the car 60 miles before the battery gave out.

It was i tight fit for sure. Once it popped you still have to use the puller to get it off all the way. It seemed like it was pressed on and the staking was only there just in case. The bearing does have a number on it.

I already have two more stock caged units. One is slightly damaged and would make for a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread