Lower pulley question

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
Well its my first week with the car and ive discovered i have an aftermarket lower pulley. The upper pulley is stock to my knowledge but the lower pulley isnt for sure. Its pretty big. Ill try to get a good picture of it tomorrow but its silver, and i was wondering what kind of boost would a lower pulley put you up to?

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
It depends on what pound lower your running,2 4 6 etc

95SC

Banned
Measure the pulley across from outside edge to outside edge then you will know what you have . Stock pulley is 7-3/4 , every 2lb increases the size of the pulley by 1/2 [ give it or take 1/8]

2lb = 8-1/4 , 4lb = 8-3/4 ....etc

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Let's hope you have a 4 lb. lower as that is the most popular choice. If you intend to keep your Eaton blower, you can then port it and add a 2.76 or 2.93 upper for some serious boost/fun.

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
Well i measured it (on the car) and it measured at 9-1/4 inches. So im guessing its a 6lbs pulley judging from 95SC's measurements for the smaller pulleys. Am i right, or will someone correct me... If so how much boost am i running on that. I took a pic of the upper pulley also. I believe its stock. Stock upper is 3 inch correct?
IMAG1392.jpg

IMAG1395.jpg

IMAG1393.jpg

supraman1990

Established Member
Stock upper is 3.4-3.5" if I remember correctly. That however does look like a stock upper pulley. I agree with everyone else in saying get that thing ported and throw a 2.93 upper on it now. You actually got lucky as the lower is the much more difficult and larger investment of the 2.

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ x2. the lower pulley kits are 400~ give or take, and an upper pulley is around 130 for a good one, so you lucked out my friend. with a 6lb pulley/stock upper i'd imagine you're around 13-14psi. which is about as much as you want on a stock eaton. get it ported and throw a 2.93 or 3.0 on it, and then you'll be makin some power!

ctgreddy

Established Member
that should be a 6 from the measurement. something you might want to check is the size on the alternator. with the bigger lowers you need to run a bigger alt pulley to slow it down or it'll get overspun. you'd want a 3.4/3.5 for the 6lb i do believe.

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
Ok it measured in at about 2-3/4 (it was hard to see) But its definitely under 3 inches.... What do you guys think its running horsepower wise with that pulley, Long tubes, orx, catback, and an intake?

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
Stock upper is 3.65 I believe. Definately need a bigger alt pulley a 3.2 or even larger w/ a #6 lower...

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
where did you buy the car from? Do you know if it was de-modded? That happens alot with these cars

If you know the previous owner, I'd ask them about it....if you don't get the car dyno tuned to make sure it's running correctly.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Ok it measured in at about 2-3/4 (it was hard to see) But its definitely under 3 inches.... What do you guys think its running horsepower wise with that pulley, Long tubes, orx, catback, and an intake?

assuming it's got a decent tune i'd say in the 450whp area. and also like stated I would deffinitely buy a bigger alternator pully, check on lethal they're only around 50 bucks and will hopefully save your alternator from puking an early death.

jjk23

Established Member
image (11).jpeg

Your upper pulley has a bolt and washer sticking out.
My "supposedly" never-pullied car has a little rubber grommet that is flush with the pulley face.
You may not be able to see the pic, its small and might not upload correctly.
I can get a better one and send it to your email or something.
Good luck.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
congratulations.....you just helped a guy out that asked a questions almost two years ago.....

Users who are viewing this thread