Lowered the Cobra (H&R SS)

Tim Lester

Established Member
Originally posted by thexman10
Looks great man................Did you use the stock spring isolators?

Thanks. Yes, I used the stock ones.

Originally posted by CobraBob
Nice Tim. The height looks perfect! How does it corner now? Much better? A little better? I remember when I had Callaway installed their lowering springs on my Camaro it felt like it was hooked on a rail. The cornering was night and day different.

Nice job!!

Thanks, Bob. It corners a heck of a lot better now and I noticed braking is a lot better.

Originally posted by Vrrooom
Looks excellent! Very clean looking car you have there.

Are those replica 18s?

Thanks. Yes, they're 18x9 AFS replicas equipped with Bridgestone Potenza S-03s tires up front and BFG G-Force D/Rs out back. I got the wheels through E-Bay.

Originally posted by fubu795
Your car looks rediculas, I'm definitly making that one of my next mods. What type of Digital Camera do you use, those are extremely clear pictures?

Thanks man. My son took the pictures. He used a Kodak 3.1 MP, 4X Optical zoom, EasyShare DX6340 camera.

Originally posted by Raging Rio
great looking car!

did you buy aftermarket CC plates or no?

Thanks and no, I didn't buy any CC plates.

Originally posted by LCCOBRA
What they asked and also were did you buy thinking of doing lowering springs soon...BTW very nice drop..

Thanks. I bought the springs through Tire Rack. I don't remember the price, but I think I got 'em for $240.

Thanks again guys for the comments. :rockon:

ofourcobra

Established Member
Nice drop man .how is the ground clearance? i live in boston ,where the roads are horrible .Also does it rub ? also what is the advantage of using the urethane isolators as opposed to the stock? thanx,sorry for all the questions but i have always looked away from the h&r because i heard they were just strictly for track cars,and they gave you a rough ride,but your s looks sweet

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Originally posted by ofourcobra
Nice drop man .how is the ground clearance? i live in boston ,where the roads are horrible .Also does it rub ? also what is the advantage of using the urethane isolators as opposed to the stock? thanx,sorry for all the questions but i have always looked away from the h&r because i heard they were just strictly for track cars,and they gave you a rough ride,but your s looks sweet

Not to hijack the thread:coolman: but I have had 2 sets of H&R springs; both the supersports and now the race springs. These certainly don't give a rough ride, just a more firm ride. They don't jar you or your car and provide a nice increase in handling over the stock setup. The are a progressive rate spring so that helps with the ride quality as well. The benefit over the stock rubber isolators vs. the urethane are they are much thicker and firmer than the stock one so it helps with sagging over time you ride height wont change (go lower the more miles on the car), also help with deflection since they are much thick and a much stronger material they will not deterioate and keep handling characteristics the same over time. The SS's sit a fair amount lower than the Race, with my SS's I did have some rubbing issues with the xpipe either dragging over speed bumps or low spots in the road that you would hit at speed. The race springs I dont have any of those issues at all.

04gambitcobra

Established Member
does anyone know what the spring rates are from H/R compared to the new Steeda springs

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
So how'd you install them? S/compressor or droping the irs? Just curious... looks great!

87FOXGT

Established Member
Welcome to the family ! :)

Heres my vert with SSzzzzzz :D

lowered_001.gif

Robohopar

Still a Rook
Established Member
Hey just a quick question...how can i host some pics i wanna post up???? the easiest and fastest way???

by the way your car looks awsome!!! how does the cornering feel now?

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
Looks good!

Did you rewire your foglights in any way? I notice them on without the sidemarkers being on.

Painter

Established Member
Originally posted by 03yllwguy
So how'd you install them? S/compressor or droping the irs? Just curious... looks great!

Read the posts.......A SPRING COMPRessor!! Same one I used on my rears, dont drop the IRS.

RGrossman

Established Member
H&R Springs seem to be pretty level... Chopping a coil off the stock springs seems to produce the same exact ride height. Car looks great!

mosconiac

Established Member
You do not need a spring compressor...and if you use one, you'll likely have to modify it to work.

Just unbolt the shock, pull the two IRS bolts on a side and let it down easily. Some minor work will be required to get the front IRS bolt back in alignment, but nothing major. Just be patient, it will go back in.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
You do not need a spring compressor...and if you use one, you'll likely have to modify it to work.

Just unbolt the shock, pull the two IRS bolts on a side and let it down easily. Some minor work will be required to get the front IRS bolt back in alignment, but nothing major. Just be patient, it will go back in.

How much does it drop down for the spring to clear. Enought to install the MM IRS bushings? Mine's been sitting on the shelf for almost a year now and a spring swap would make me do both.;-)

mosconiac

Established Member
Enought to install the MM IRS bushings?

It does drop enough, but that would be tough work if not on a lift. If you plan to do it from stands it would be murder on your arms, neck, and back as the front IRS bolt is really low. The rear bolt isn't to bad since it is up high in the wheelwell, but the fuel tank would be right behind it.

IMHO, tackling the springs (front & rear) is enough to chew on for one weekend. Plan to space the work over two weekends.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
It does drop enough, but that would be tough work if not on a lift. If you plan to do it from stands it would be murder on your arms, neck, and back as the front IRS bolt is really low. The rear bolt isn't to bad since it is up high in the wheelwell, but the fuel tank would be right behind it.

IMHO, tackling the springs (front & rear) is enough to chew on for one weekend. Plan to space the work over two weekends.

I had planned on sitting the car up on my overkill subframes (2" square tubing) by about 15".

Springs shouldn't be to bad. Took me ~2 hours to change them on my '99. I didn't drop the IRS though.

Painter

Established Member
Its a matter of how long you want it to take........With a spring compressor it only takes 20 min and no modification necessary. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT THE BOLT LENGTH. But hey if you want to go through all that extra work to drop the IRS then go ahead. I tried both ways and the compressor is easiest. Trust me!!!! I think the other guys did not use the compressor and are just telling you the way they did it. Screw unbolting all that shit just compress it and whala its a done deal. The only hard part is once its compressed then you have to back that long threaded bolt back. I used AIR TOOLS to compress and uncompress, much faster . :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread