Lowering Springs

tec7426

Established Member
In what manner of feel did putting on lowering springs do for the driving of your car?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Steeda says:

2003 Cobra Sport Springs
• Steeda's performance lowering springs improve the overall handling of the 2003 Cobra by lowering the center of gravity and reducing body roll and pitching motion. The reduced longitudinal pitch of the vehicle during heavy braking, due to the optimized spring calibration, improves the overall braking efficiency. The higher rate of the front springs reduces the amount of load transferred to the front tires. This causes the load on all four tires to be more evenly distributed providing additional traction to the rear tires. The additional gain in rear traction usually results in reduced braking distances.
The proportionate increase in spring rate also reduces body roll, which limits adverse suspension movement. This confines the suspension geometry to stay within parameters that enhance the tires contact patch relative to the road, The result is improved vehicle cornering and handling, because front and rear tire loading is more evenly distributed. Therefore, higher cornering limits can be achieved because the built in understeer characteristics are reduced and provide for a more neutral yet safe vehicle.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
You have the new Steedas that came out recently that drop 1.25" ?

Originally posted by FKing1
Have Steedas and handling seems about the same as stock, only the car is lower!
Fred K.

WDW MKR

Established Member
My car feels more connected to the road with H&R springs. Between the springs, bushings, and SFCs, it drives like a different car!

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I doubt that springs alone will change anything really... I have never seen a side by side comparison between stock and aftermarket springs only on a road course... But hey, they LOOK cool...

FKing1

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
You have the new Steedas that came out recently that drop 1.25" ?
No, I have a set of the 99-01 style that dropped the frt 1" and rr ZERO! Cut one coil off the rear to get a 1-1/2" drop.
Fred K.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Lowering springs usually have higher rates which in turn amount to less body roll and higher traction.

Fking1, part of the problem might be the 99-01 Cobras are lighter cars than ours so the heavier 03 might not respond the same to springs made for the earlier models? :shrug:

FKing1

Established Member
Originally posted by 03 DSG Snake
Fking1, part of the problem might be the 99-01 Cobras are lighter cars than ours so the heavier 03 might not respond the same to springs made for the earlier models? :shrug:
That was the point of getting the 99-01's. Steeda reps said they would lower the car more than the 03/04 springs or about 1-1/2", which they didn't. All turned out in the end by cutting although was a hassle.
Fred K.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't have lowering springs on my Cobra, but I did have them on my '94 Z-28. Ride was stiffer but not really much to notice. However, cornering was unbelievable. It was like driving a GoKart. So they really do make a big difference in the handling department, not to mention the killer stance! :)

kencobra

Face Down In Cabo
Established Member
Have had my new 03 Steeda springs for 4 days and the front dropped 1 and an 1/8 and the rear dropped 7/8. It does not rider any rougher and there is less nose dive when braking. I think it will drop slightly more over the next few days. Love the look, need to take pics so someone can post for me.
By the way the 185.00 to install was well worth my time, knuckles, and sanity.

Crazee Horse

Established Member
I road raced my mystic before the eibach's, cc plate, bushings, contol arm, etc. I tried it through each iteration and the springs made the most difference in weight transfer and predictability. The CC plates did the most for handling as the cars need more camber and caster to run a road course. The rotors etc all completed the package but bang for the buck are CC plates and new springs. These alone lowered my lap times by 15 seconds on a 1.2 mile circuit.

TRBO VNM

I just put the steeda's in tonight that are for the 03/04 cobra. And a buddy did his as well. jack stands and floor jack, all hand tools. took about 3.5-4hrs.

I am not sure yet about the total drop, but in a week I should know. I drove it around the block and down the street and it feels the same as stock. It will probably be a bit stiffer, but not much.

mwarrior

Established Member
I have the Steeda sport springs on my '01 GT, a little firmer but definitely better than stock (ok so far only the front two went on as we ran out of time, but still).

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I just installed the h&r ss springs along with mm irs subframe bushings, nylatron upper and lower control arm bushings, aluminum front diff bushings. Now I need stiffer rear shocks as my rear suspension is severely underdampened. It is a much stiffer ride and is a little bouncy due to the underdampened shocks. As soon as my amsoil gear lube gets here I'm putting the mjchip/billetflow rear cover brace along with a delrin rear cover bushing. For those that don't know, Nylatron is a material similar to delrin, good bushing material. I'm also installing mm caster camber plates then taking to an alignment shop!

Users who are viewing this thread