Lowering without losing ride quality

j card

Established Member
I'm interested in lowering my car about 1.5 to 2 inches, but I really like the way the car rides now and I don't want to compromise that. I'd rather leave it the stock height than ruin the ride. Has anybody done a lowering job where the ride quality was the same as stock or better? I don't want it any stiffer than it is now.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
Everyone says coil overs improves the ride.

Yes most people say that. I've ridden in one with coilovers and it was pretty close to stock quality ride, but lower and better handling.

You will also find a lot of people who claim that lowering springs won't compromise the ride, but I've never been in a lowered Mustang with springs that it was true on.

I took my Eibach Pro Kit off after about 6 months because it ruined the ride.

If I still had the Cobra, and I wanted to lower it I'd go coil over or not at all.

YMMV

valdo's toy

Established Member
Coil-overs are the way to go, check out Maximum Motorsport's units and don't forget to buy your Caster/Camber plates in the 4 bolt design as the weight of the front of the car is going to be in these plates. You can go this way and you're going to love them, 10k miles on mines and love them more everyday. Good luck and good hunting!!!

spree

Established Member
my H&R SS's made the car a lil stiffer...it's still very comfortable though.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by j card
What spring rates would I need to replicate the stock rates?

A 350lb front and 550lb rear coil-over (cc-plates required) setup will give a stock or better than ride 90%+ of the time and dramatically improve your handling with additional components such as full length subframe connectors and urethane bushings among other items (another entire subject).

TRBO VNM

if you can't spend the money on coil overs, the new steeda's for the 03-04 cobra are very nice. the ride is EXACTLY like stock, but a little lower. The only problem you will have is the rear doesn't lower as much as you might like.

I have never riden in a car with coilovers so I am not sure if they really ride like stock or not. I had eibach on my 03 cobra and it was nice, but you could tell it was stiffer....the steeda's are perfect. I even cut half a coil off the rear and it still feels almost like stock. the only way I can tell is when I hit dips or go over bumps it seems a bit stiffer. But no rubbing at all.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I have BBKs. Friend have Eibach, Steeda, Coil Overs..etc.etc.etc, as far as I am concerned, they all ride great. All keep the stock feel, just a little tighter. Only springs I haven't checked out are H&R's. You'll be happy with any of them.

2003 Silver

Banned
I have the PRO-KIT on my '03 and I love it....ride is a little less than stock, however, the look is more than worth it and it handles excellent!!

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Coil overs are the way to go if you can swing the price. I have the H&R SS and really couldn't tell the difference in ride quality compared to stock. I believe the spring rates on the H&R is 660# and stockers are 600#.

Black306

Established Member
I went a little different route. Motorsport C springs up front and Motorsport J springs in the rear. Dropped the car about 1" all the way around. Rides a little stiffer than stock (650lbs front and rear, stock being 600 front and rear). IMO, the ride height it just right. Not too low, not too high.

attachment.php

WDW MKR

Established Member
I love my H&R SS springs. I may switch to coil-overs, someday, but I'm in no hurry. The SS springs gave me the handling, ride, and look that I wanted. Very similar to stock, w/out the body lean.

Users who are viewing this thread