LS1 Exhaust Can I hear from your guys

tammy

Established Member
LS1 Exhaust Can I hear from you guys

that have it. I would like your thoughts and opinions on the quality, sound, installation and overall happiness with it. Not to mention hp gains if you know. I know several of you bought this system in the first group purchase where are you guys? Is to fast the only one that put his on? I really would like to hear from you all. Are you happy with your choice? What are your likes dislikes of the system? Thanks.

Last edited:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
I don't have it, but, most of them stated they were happy overall. They said it was great quality, etc. Much quieter with the cats installed. Not much louder than stock with the cats, but LOUD without cats. Only real complaint I read was the tips stuck out too far, and most people stated they wished the tips were longer. Some did, however, cut the main pipe about an 1" or so and remounted the tip further in. That is just my take on their posts.:)

CWCobra

Established Member
Tammy:
Don't buy the QMP system!!!

I bought it on 9/30/02 GP, and as I have posted elsewhere on this forum, there is debris trapped inside the mufflers which causes a very annoying BUZZing sound at 2500 rpms. Couple of other guys have same problem. Better to wait, or buy something else.

If you just HAVE to have the QMP 3" system, I'll let mine go for cheap! I've still got the boxes it came in! I'm putting the stock pipes back on tomorrow. PM me if you want all the gory details.
Later,
CW

kom

Established Member
:nono: Now that's not quite fair to Rob and QMP. We all bought the first batch of systems knowing that we were essentially guinea pigs for as new exhaust system and there might be problems. Now that a couple of muffler problems pop up while Rob is away (I assume at SEMA) and can't respond back, you're recommending that people not buy his system. That's no right. I can understand your frustration with the buzzing noise. Who knows, mine may do it too when I put it on. The system is still well made and is high quality. I say don't count the the QMP system out just yet. Give Rob a chance to fix things. I'm sure that Rob will make things right for the people that are having problems. If he doesn't, then don't recommend his system.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I agree with kom - with all due respect, the first batch was bound to have an issue or two. It's kind of like buying one of the first run 03 Cobras (which I did) - not everything is going to be picture perfect, and having the right attitude to start is going to save you a lot of grief & money. Rob will make it right... but you gotta give him time to learn that there is a problem before he can fix it. Expecting a 'perfect' custom-built first-run exhaust set-up that will bolt on and not have any issues for a car that's been on the streets for 4 months is asking a lot. Maybe you'll get it first time around... but that's more the luck-of-the-draw then anything else. I actually ordered mine after i heard of the problems. I have enough faith in the guy to put out a quality product for a good price, and stick by it until it's right. Give it some time dude - it'll all turn out just fine.

Just my $.02

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I agree with Kom, that is not fair to Rob as he IS at SEMA right now. I was one of the main people that suggested this system to people on here after I saw and heard it at the BG shootout. At BG was the first time I had ever met Rob but after talking with him for about an hour I could tell that he was an honest business man who would treat his customers right. I think you at least owe him the chance to make this problem right before you bad mouth his system. And I still stand behind my recommendation of the QMP system to anyone looking for a high quality 03' exhaust. :beer:

larryc7777

Established Member
I'm sure that most of you guys & gals realize taht Rob doesn't make the pipes himself. He contracts the construction & bending duties to an outside source. The problems that a few of us are having stem from that supplier, not Rob or his shop. I believe that he will be back in the shop on Monday. He is a very polite & knowledgeable guy, so I am sure that he will do whatever is necessary to rectify the problems.
I'm in the 2nd GP & hope to get my system soon. I need to make some noise.:-D :burnout:

CWCobra

Established Member
KOM:
Yeah, you guys are right. I was real tired last night, and probably should have been more tactful. No excuses for me...my apologies to all concerned. I do like the system, except for the BUZZ. I'm gonna try to make it work. Another guy said to take off the mufflers, bang 'em good with a hammer, then vaccuum them out. I'll try that today. I'll post results later tonight.

One again: my apologies. I spoke rashly without thinking it through.

Later,
CW

tammy

Established Member
You guys are adding to my state of confusion about this. I would feel :xpl: if I paid over a grand for something he did'nt like. I want a civil sounding exhaust, but one louder than stock and one that will open up the full potential of the motor does this make sense? I wanna HEAR the motor, but I don't want it to deafen me either and be an annoying daily driver. ON the other hand I want it to make the motor breath and produce all the horses it can. This is not gonna be our only mod but this and the Denescharger are gonna be the christmas presents for my husband and I don't want to screw up big time here. The other mod's he'll pick himself but he has made it clear he can't do any mod's till he gets some exhaust that's just his preference I think.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by tammy
You guys are adding to my state of confusion about this. I would feel :xpl: if I paid over a grand for something he did'nt like. I want a civil sounding exhaust, but one louder than stock and one that will open up the full potential of the motor does this make sense? I wanna HEAR the motor, but I don't want it to deafen me either and be an annoying daily driver. ON the other hand I want it to make the motor breath and produce all the horses it can. This is not gonna be our only mod but this and the Denescharger are gonna be the christmas presents for my husband and I don't want to screw up big time here. The other mod's he'll pick himself but he has made it clear he can't do any mod's till he gets some exhaust that's just his preference I think.
Then get a Magnaflow exhaust system. Sounds good, looks good, fits good, performs well and is louder than stock, but not annoying arrest me loud. I paid $740 for it. Do a search on Magnaflow and I bet you wont find one negative post, except for the one guy who wanted to go deaf from his exhaust and was unhappy that it was so quiet, or my posts about it being too loud, but I have sensitive ears too.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
My opinion is well known, but I like my QMP system. The first time installing it I couldn't get the cats in so went O/R. The car sounded great for a week or so then I was tired with how loud it was for a daily driver. I went back on Thursday night and took it back apart and got the system together with the cats. It is now quite and has differently increased SOP and real world power. Now they break free at half-throttle in 1st and I don't have any drone that I notice.

CWCobra

Established Member
Well, I give up!

I spent from 10:30 this morning until 4:00 this afternoon under my Cobra. I took the QMP system off yet again (3rd time), removed the mufflers, banged them with a rubber hammer, shook, shook, shook, and got some stuff out of them. After they sounded all clear when shaking, I put the system back together. Checked and rechecked all connections. Re-torqued the exhaust manifold connections, verified no clearance issues with undercarriage.

Guess what? I've STILL GOT the BUZZ!!!!! No change at all.

At 2500 rpms, it sounds just like a carpenter's electric circular saw cutting thru a piece of plywood. REAL annoying. REAL harsh. REAL LOUD. I'm down to my last theory: one or more of the internal welds in the mufflers is bad, allowing an internal buzzing at a certain rpm.

I know I should be more tactful, but dammit, I paid for this system with a credit card charge on September 30. It is now November whatever, and I STILL don't have an exhaust system.

So pardon my ****ing French!!!! But Tammy, darlin, if you still wanna buy the QMP exhaust, have at it!

Later,
CW
:cuss:

Rwick7

Established Member
I'm sure Rob will mail you new mufflers to weld in. I know that won't make you feel better...but hey...your an exhaust expert now. :)

This is why I'm sitting back and waiting for the dust to settle on all these new (to me) companies...The cream will rise to the top.

03DOHC

Established Member
I heard that exhaust rattle yesterday on Rob's system. Sounds like maybe a baffle/louver/whatever inside the muffler is buzzing. Hope it gets fixed, I can see how that could get really annoying real quick.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
Rob's got it too???? That can't be good.

BUZZ you Later,
CW
Not on "Rob's" system, on someone's car that has Rob's system.

tammy

Established Member
I don't want your system after you beat the crap out of it.:bash: J/K I hate that for you so much and understand your fustrastion (sp). I sure hope it gets corrected soon. I am gonna call the first of the week and talk to Rob and go from there maybe that's best. Of all the group buys from the 1 go around there's not one single 100% happy person with it. If there out there they're not speaking up. Everyone has had some problems somewhere down the line. I'm not saying Rob is at fault things happen I just can't take a chance with this and this much money. Some one gave me info on a Magnaflow system on one of my many threads I'm gonna hunt that thread down and pm them for a sound bite. If anyone happenes to have or can give me advise on the Magnaflow system please do. I guess they make a 3" exhaust as well? How is the sound. Why is this so dang hard to decide on a exhaust? Man I hope my husband likes what he ends up with and he owes me $$ for the bottle of tynenol I've eaten over this.:xpl:

Users who are viewing this thread