LS1 GTO A4 vs '05+ Mustang, SVT Lightning???

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
My last ride was a '02 Mustang GT Conv. and now I have a LS1 GTO A4 with a diablosport tune and K&N CAI. My question is how yall think I'd fare against a stock '05+ Mustang GT and stock SVT Lightning?? There's a few around here and I'd like some opinions on a race from a dig/roll before I try them.

I've seen both the Lightning and the 300 HP GT in the mid 13's stock.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
IMHO... you'd have the edge from a roll with both, especially with the L. They'd both have a pretty good chance if they outlaunched you, and the L probably has the best chance of doing that. Should be some good close races in there.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
grimreefer said:
IMHO... you'd have the edge from a roll with both, especially with the L. They'd both have a pretty good chance if they outlaunched you, and the L probably has the best chance of doing that. Should be some good close races in there.

Thanks for the response. That's what I was thinking. The problem with the GTO's is the IAT sensor pulling timing when it gets even moderately hot. I'm sure on a 50 degree night down here at sea level this LS1 will wake up a little. I've only had her for a few months.

You think I'd be a 5spd 300 HP GT from roll?? I've heard they can trap as high as 105 stock.

Last edited:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
Thanks for the response. That's what I was thinking. The problem with the GTO's is the IAT sensor pulling timing when it gets even moderately hot. I'm sure on a 50 degree night down here at sea level this LS1 will wake up a little. I've only had her for a few months.

You think I'd be a 5spd 300 HP GT from roll?? I've heard they can trap as high as 105 stock.
Your GTO should be capable of higher traps than 105.

IIRC, the Mach1 (M5) and LS1 GTO (M6) comparo was near dead even with the Mach having a bit better time and the GTO having a better MPH. Since you're an auto with a tune you shouldn't have too much of a problem with a stock GT.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
grimreefer said:
Your GTO should be capable of higher traps than 105.

IIRC, the Mach1 (M5) and LS1 GTO (M6) comparo was near dead even with the Mach having a bit better time and the GTO having a better MPH. Since you're an auto with a tune you shouldn't have too much of a problem with a stock GT.

Well with my A4 I don't put down as much power as the 6-speed GTO. I think on a cool night and a good launch I can trap 104 but I don't know about 105. On good runs stock LS1 GTO A4's average 100-103 when it comes to trap speed.

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
sounds pretty much like a drivers race for a dig...with the Edge going to L. From a roll....you will get them but the GT wont be far behind!

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
04PBMGTO said:
Just make sure you launch in 3rd. Trust me.

I tried that at Carolina Dragway and honestly it didn't feel any different than "D". They say the A4 GTO's pull stronger in "3rd" but I don't know.

millerc73

Established Member
You should edge them both out, I raced an auto GTO when my car was stock and each time they would edge me out by a car or so. I then had my car tuned and put a cold air kit on and the roles were reversed with me wining by a car or so. Then I started encountering alot of cars that were faster than mine so I put the turbo on and have been HAPPY!

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
millerc73 said:
You should edge them both out, I raced an auto GTO when my car was stock and each time they would edge me out by a car or so. I then had my car tuned and put a cold air kit on and the roles were reversed with me wining by a car or so. Then I started encountering alot of cars that were faster than mine so I put the turbo on and have been HAPPY!

You raced the LS1 or LS2?? Also what type of races were they??

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
MachME said:
lightning will beat you, gt will be close.

Agreed. A Lightning will 60ft pretty strong and pulls hard through the 1/8th with you catching in the last 1/8th. An LS2 should easily beat both.

04gtstang

Established Member
L will give you a good run, as will the 05GT if the guy can drive.

My dad just picked up an 01L and it was very STRONG in 1st and 2nd gear stock. 3rd was ok. I spent $5 and did the boost bypass mod and my dad bought himself a K&N filter as well. BIG difference and its basically stock. 3rd gear really picked up. Got 2 PSI more out of here as well. If its truely 100% stock then you will catch him a little ways up....if he has done anything to it, then you may not catch him.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
MachME said:
lightning will beat you, gt will be close.

Yeah I know those Lightning's aren't no joke when launched right in a cool atmosphere. When I had my '02 GT I got ate up by a couple of L's.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I have a stock 02 L and I have race several 05+ gt's and 1 6.0 GTO and beatten every one. 2 weeks ago a ran up on an 07 GT. we ran from a 45 roll and a put 5-6 lenghts on him. I also ran a 6.0 gto ( Manual) on the interstate and 5 months ago. I had my wife (110LBS) and my friend tim (130LBS) and I had me heave ass tonnau cover on (200LBS) he had 1 passenger. we went from 45-110 and I had about 1.5 cars on him. Not sure about anyone elses experiances but those are mine.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Predator97SVT said:
I have a stock 02 L and I have race several 05+ gt's and 1 6.0 GTO and beatten every one. 2 weeks ago a ran up on an 07 GT. we ran from a 45 roll and a put 5-6 lenghts on him. I also ran a 6.0 gto ( Manual) on the interstate and 5 months ago. I had my wife (110LBS) and my friend tim (130LBS) and I had me heave ass tonnau cover on (200LBS) he had 1 passenger. we went from 45-110 and I had about 1.5 cars on him. Not sure about anyone elses experiances but those are mine.
40ish rolls and you're beating LS2 GTO's and GT's with a stock L??? :dw:

redgtosamurai

Established Member
Stock '04 GTO will beat the GT from a dig and a roll. Launch in 3rd gear with the TC off and it will be a kill everytime.

The Lightning will be harder and will be a drivers race.

3rd gear in a GTO A4 is its power band. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread