Ls1 in cobra

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
are those motors emissions legal over here?

Im not sure what the aussie requirements are.

I know birdman has the aussie intake and is happy with it, but im not sure about the cams.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Mr. XJR fella, there is no point in arguing further. You think the Ford 4.6 Dohc is a better engine than an LS1. I disagree for several reasons which I've made abundantly clear.

You will never change my mind, and I won't change yours. All the other bullshit is useless.

Continue to think that you "won" our little argument. I will do the same.

Cheers.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Mr. XJR fella, there is no point in arguing further. You think the Ford 4.6 Dohc is a better engine than an LS1. I disagree for several reasons which I've made abundantly clear.

You will never change my mind, and I won't change yours. All the other bullshit is useless.

Continue to think that you "won" our little argument. I will do the same.

Cheers.

For the record I also think the LT5 is a better engine than the LSX series. :fart:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
are those motors emissions legal over here?

Im not sure what the aussie requirements are.

I know birdman has the aussie intake and is happy with it, but im not sure about the cams.

The Boss 315 is Euro V compliant which is the most current Euro emissions standard, but that standard seems to be a little more lax than Tier II Bin 5.

birdman941 said:
I have the Aussie stuff here.

You don't know how many times I've considered scoring a dirt-cheap '96 GT and buying your 5.4 kit.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
The 2v motor has potential, the 4v has even more, albeit it's not a '03/'04 Cobra motor, it's still a great motor!

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
The Aussies love their Boss motors, for sure.
Basically the Boss motors are 5.4 short block with 03-04
Cobra/Mach/Marauder heads, Aussie intake, single blade
75mm TB (Except the 315 which is dual blade),
fly by wire, shorty/mid length headers.
The FPV site states they have "R" heads, but it is NOT true.
The 290/302/315 have higher compression (domed pistons),
more cam and a different calibration than the Boss 260.
The closest comparison to anything we have stateside is the 260.
Basically that is a Navi short block with 03-04 heads.
The few aside from myself who have driven mine (Stock Navi long block)
with Boss intake, LT's and dualblade TB,
are stunned by the response and torque it has.
You gotta drive it to believe it.
Once I get the motor from Al, it will obviously be a lot stronger.
Even in stock configuration, it will slaughter my Mach 1.
Here is a side by side comnparison of the 2000 "R" lower
and the Aussie Boss 290 lower: (Aussie on the left)

IMG_0973.gif

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
wow this got messy, my last post was yesterday like in page 2 lol, to Quadcammer... isn't the LS6 just a H/I on the LS1???
to the OP is good you'll keep your car with the FORD engine, i was against this cause is a COBRA if it was a regular GT or a 6ser go ahead,

LS1-4.6DOHC great engines

o and for the great defenders of the 4.6 can you give me a response to my mechanics question??? (i hate when he does it!!)

WHY DO COMPANIES DO A KMEMBER TO FORD APPLICATIONS WITH LS1 SWAP AND NOT A CHEVY KMEMBER FOR ANY FORD ENGINE?????

lmao

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
wow this got messy, my last post was yesterday like in page 2 lol, to Quadcammer... isn't the LS6 just a H/I on the LS1???

Nearly everything is different between them, rotating assembly, block, cam, heads, etc...

WHY DO COMPANIES DO A KMEMBER TO FORD APPLICATIONS WITH LS1 SWAP AND NOT A CHEVY KMEMBER FOR ANY FORD ENGINE?????

lmao

Because people have been swapping "cheap" Chevy small blocks into Fords for about 50 years now.

I for one do not think the Chevy 350 is a better engine than the 351W at all, but that doesn't stop people from plopping the 350 into fox bodies.

Quadcammer

Established Member
whether or not you like the idea of the swap, to call an LSX a pos is simply ignorant.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
ok, how about can someone just answer some of my questions i posted bac on like pg. 6 or 7.

you say you want to build an engine from the ground, why not bolt on your current one? Full Exhaust, Pulleys, CAI, SRA & GEARS and a dyno tune mid to low 12s thats a very respectable N/A time anywhere

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
you say you want to build an engine from the ground, why not bolt on your current one? Full Exhaust, Pulleys, CAI, SRA & GEARS and a dyno tune mid to low 12s thats a very respectable N/A time anywhere

more like high 11's...my last 01, which still did not have ported intake, headers, pullies, or any weight reduction just ran 12.49 @ 111 with a shitty 1.85 60'...you go full bolt on and tune and drag wheels and you're looking at 11.7-11.8...

cobraracer46

Banned
If he wants to state that the 00 Cobra R makes 375rwhp, then Im fine with that. In fact, I'll concede that point. The 00 R makes 375rwhp on average.

Its still a rare engine with heads and especially an intake that are nearly unobtainium, and given that this kids budget doesn't allow for anything this fancy, its sort of a moot point.

Well, the Cobra R intake might be difficult to get, but the latest update on the 2000 Cobra R cylinder heads: the Ford GT units are readily available as fully loaded heads right from Ford Racing performance parts dealers. The Ford GT 5.4 aluminum block is also easy to score and I would assume that getting your hands on one of the Aussie intakes so you can build a replica 2000 R engine would not be too difficult.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Well, the Cobra R intake might be difficult to get, but the latest update on the 2000 Cobra R cylinder heads: the Ford GT units are readily available as fully loaded heads right from Ford Racing performance parts dealers. The Ford GT 5.4 aluminum block is also easy to score and I would assume that getting your hands on one of the Aussie intakes so you can build a replica 2000 R engine would not be too difficult.

The Aussie intake fits ""C" or 03-04 heads.
It will bolt to Navi heads, but the ports do not match.
It will NOT fit FGT/Shelby/00"R' heads.
FPV says that the heads are "R" heads, but they are not.
I have several Aussie intakes here as part of the Mustang install kit.

Also, just so you are all aware,
Kar Kraft is selling a "Boss 290" engine according to them.
It is not even close to a Boss 290 spec, more like a Boss 260.
Wrong compression, wrong cams, etc.
Don't be fooled or burned.

http://www.karkraft.com/exotic_engines.htm
I KNOW about this stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread