Ls1 in cobra

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
this might sound stupid to some people or make some hardcore ford guys pissed, but i got the idea of maybe throwing an ls1 in my 99 cobra, Anyone think it can be done? Just a crazy thought please dont get mad lol
I got this crazy thought cause im mad and disappointed in my car because i was reading the forums today and i saw alot of people said that 99-01 motors are junk and dont have much pontential and its been bothering me. Are they really that bad? i just got my cobra may of 08 and i feel like its worthless. (only 14,000 miles on it)

WHat the #$&)*)& are you %$&^^&*(^^789678963 thinking!?ui2t5427865
its a ^#^&%7896 &*%&* idea! :fm:

#$@%^$^*(^#$! *&%^%@#&^%$$

- chris

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
oh jesus christ, now LS1s are lacking in reliability? The LS1 has superb longevity and power output.

The ls1 is bulletproof with the possible exception of bent pushrods (not likely unless you do a money shift)

You opened that pandora's box when you compared the LSX to the LT5, not I. Or are you retracting your previous statement? Oh and and Cobra owners don't have to worry about that little problem regarding pushrods.
:pepper:

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
how many LS1s do you know that are hand built by 2 men who had enough pride to sign the engine?

lol, you think those guys care if you get a bum engine? Robot>hand built in terms of consistency.

theres plenty of potential! i know a buddy that has a 2v making 750rwhp. and the cobra motors are built alot stronger than the 2vs..

with enough money, you can make power with anything.

The 99/01 cobra motor, with the exception of the forged crank (and there haven't been many cast crank failures), is not built any stronger than a SOHC motor of the same year.

cobravenom99

Established Member
yea honestly just get a terminator engine and use that instead

Yea i would if i could find the block or one that needs to be rebulit and if they can be found at a not insane price, like i found a boss 330 block, but i dont know what im getting my self into with a boss 330( im talking about the parts and stuff that go in it)

Quadcammer

Established Member
You opened that pandora's box when you compared the LSX to the LT5, not I. Or are you retracting your previous statement?
:pepper:

I never suggested the LSX was more reliable than the LT5. There aren't enough around to make a valid comparison. It is not known whether GM attempted that same record with the LSX motor. There is no reason to think an LS6 wouldn't run at max torque for the same amount of time.

However, for you to suggest that an LSX is anything but bulletproof is simply asinine.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
1. Biased? I have never, and probably will never own a GM product. I have never owned a vehicle with a GM engine. I currently own and drive a Ford with a 4.6 DOHC. Please provide some basis for your allegation that I am biased.

Thread, anyone? Bueller?

2. Gonad? You start 2nd grade this week or something?

Sometimes I have to adjust my approach to the target audience :lol:

3. yes, Im from NJ. Relevance?

I'm from NJ too, I just wanted to verify you share the same absolute stubbornness that I do, and I was right! :beer:

Quadcammer

Established Member
None of your ****ing business. .

I'm not touchy, and by the way the view from UNDERNEATH your skin is pretty fun! Oh and and Cobra owners don't have to worry about that little problem. :lol:

sure sounds like you got a little butthurt to me.

nope, those cobra owners sure don't have to worry about bent pushrods. Just broken oil pump gears resulting in zero oil pressure, spun bearings, ticking heads, collapsed lash adjusters, thrown rockers, broken timing chain tensioner guides, failing timing chain tensioners, etc. Gee, I wonder whats worse.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
I never suggested the LSX was more reliable than the LT5. There aren't enough around to make a valid comparison. It is not known whether GM attempted that same record with the LSX motor. There is no reason to think an LS6 wouldn't run at max torque for the same amount of time.

You're making assumptions again, haven't you learned anything yet? You say everything as if it was a conclusive FACT, when some of your rhetoric is just guesses.

However, for you to suggest that an LSX is anything but bulletproof is simply asinine.

No, you debunked that myth yourself when you mentioned the pushrod failures!!

Quadcammer

Established Member
No, you debunked that myth yourself when you mentioned the pushrod failures!!

lol, you didn't actually read that post. Pushrods don't just up and decide to fail if you look at them funny. When you overrev the motor, you get bent pushrods. Certainly far from the worst case scenario, especially for a dohc owner.

As to your quoted point, of course its rhetoric. I was not there for the internal testing GM did on their LT5 or LS6. However, neither were you.

As for the top speed record, its kind of difficult to claim that one engine is the king if others have not tried and failed. P.S., why hasn't the miraculous 03/04 cobra broken that record?

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
sure sounds like you got a little butthurt to me.

Nobody here is "butthurt" other than you. I don't have to explain who or what I know because I am not the one, unlike you, who came in here all high and mighty thinking I would bow down because of your self built engine and, what was it, eight years experience...LOL, puhlease.

nope, those cobra owners sure don't have to worry about bent pushrods. Just broken oil pump gears resulting in zero oil pressure, spun bearings, ticking heads, collapsed lash adjusters, thrown rockers, broken timing chain tensioner guides, failing timing chain tensioners, etc. Gee, I wonder whats worse.

I'd be willing to bet that I could find a plethora of issues regarding LSX motors if I did the research, but I will leave that to other experts in the field (like Wards's) :poke: and not some self absorbed internet egotist such as yourself.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
lol, you didn't actually read that post. Pushrods don't just up and decide to fail if you look at them funny. When you overrev the motor, you get bent pushrods. Certainly far from the worst case scenario, especially for a dohc owner.

As to your quoted point, of course its rhetoric. I was not there for the internal testing GM did on their LT5 or LS6. However, neither were you.

As for the top speed record, its kind of difficult to claim that one engine is the king if others have not tried and failed. P.S., why hasn't the miraculous 03/04 cobra broken that record?

You are a moron. The LT5 was/is famous for its endurance AT high speed for LONG DISTANCE as verified with the 1990's testing I cited. It's a KNOWN fact that the LT5 posted those numbers under the harshest of conditions. If that's not good enough for you, then good luck dealing with life if reality isn't something you are used to.

Go here and educate yourself: http://www.zr1netregistry.com/endurance_epic.htm

Come back here and tell me THAT information is rhetoric.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
I'd be willing to bet that I could find a plethora of issues regarding LSX motors if I did the research, but I will leave that to other experts in the field (like Wards's) :poke: and not some self absorbed internet egotist such as yourself. Nobody here is "butthurt" other than you. I don't have to explain who or what I know because I am not the one, unlike you, who came in here all high and mighty thinking I would bow down because of your self built engine and, what was it, eight years experience...LOL, puhlease.

Rotfl. Go for it, find me a plethora of issues. I'll wait.

Wards, who subjectively tests for NVH certainly seems to be an expert in the longevity and reliability of motors. I mean, they test them for all of 2 months looking for things like technical relevance.

Considering you enjoy insulting my experience and knowledge on the subject of DOHC, its only reasonable for you to explain what your background is. Obviously I must be speaking with John Colleti

Quadcammer

Established Member
You are a moron. The LT5 was/is famous for its endurance AT high speed for LONG DISTANCE as verified with the 1990's testing I cited. It's a KNOWN fact that the LT5 posted those numbers under the harshest of conditions. If that's not good enough for you, then good luck dealing with life if reality isn't something you are used to.

Go here and educate yourself: http://www.zr1netregistry.com/endurance_epic.htm

Come back here and tell me THAT information is rhetoric.

Simple question:

Has the LS6 tried the same test and failed?

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Rotfl. Go for it, find me a plethora of issues. I'll wait.

Wards, who subjectively tests for NVH certainly seems to be an expert in the longevity and reliability of motors. I mean, they test them for all of 2 months looking for things like technical relevance.

Considering you enjoy insulting my experience and knowledge on the subject of DOHC, its only reasonable for you to explain what your background is. Obviously I must be speaking with John Colleti

Take up your issue with Ward's. You are only quoting a modicum of variables they used to base their results on.

So first you are tired of all this, and now you are insulted. It's not reasonable for me to do anything to satisfy your curiosity regarding my background, supposed or not technical qualifications. I'd say that's just rolling along just fine right here.

You spelled Mr. Colletti's name wrong by the way
:poke:

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Simple question:

Has the LS6 tried the same test and failed?

Stop playing games. I thought we established we were out of second grade.

Was what I cited "rhetoric" regarding the LT5 and its abilities?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
Stop playing games. I thought we established we were out of second grade.

I'll take that as a "I have no god damn clue"

p.s., I don't care how mr. Colletti spells his name. I don't really care for the man.

Users who are viewing this thread