LS2 GTO vs Terminator

Swaie

Established Member
04 cobra: pullied, LT, ORX from APE exhaust in Sherwood AR. Best exhaust shop ever!!!
Mach1: intake, ORX from APE, diablo handheld
2004 Zo6: diablo handheld,dyno tuned, and LT's
1998 Z28(M6) powerdyne 6psi, hooker LT's, dyno tune, LS6 intake, Ported TB, Zo6 injectors.
The first race was the Mach1, Cobra, and the Zo6. The mach1 jumped them out of the hole by 1.5 cars. By the 1/8th (yes we have it marked) the Z06 was leading by 2 cars then the cobra and then mach was in back about 6 cars.
Then the Cobra, Zo6, and my Z28 raced. The the Z06 got us both out of the hole and a the Cobra and I was neck and neck. At the bottom of 3rd going into 4th I started pulling the Cobra pretty good and started pulling on the Z06. At the end of the quarter the Z06 lead me by a 1/2 car and the Cobra was back 1 car from the Z06. This race was ran 4 times didn't really change untill the 4th race when I blew a hose clamp off. So...yea a pullied Cobra will beat a full bolt on GTO, but it will be a pretty close race. Maybe a 1 car length difference. Still will be a good race to see... Don't write off a full bolt on LS2 so quick though(eventhough this is a SVT board) Bigger motor mods really make a difference.(I'm sure you guys know that though)

NA_Cobra

Established Member
04 cobra: pullied, LT, ORX from APE exhaust in Sherwood AR. Best exhaust shop ever!!!
Mach1: intake, ORX from APE, diablo handheld
2004 Zo6: diablo handheld,dyno tuned, and LT's
1998 Z28(M6) powerdyne 6psi, hooker LT's, dyno tune, LS6 intake, Ported TB, Zo6 injectors.
The first race was the Mach1, Cobra, and the Zo6. The mach1 jumped them out of the hole by 1.5 cars. By the 1/8th (yes we have it marked) the Z06 was leading by 2 cars then the cobra and then mach was in back about 6 cars.
Then the Cobra, Zo6, and my Z28 raced. The the Z06 got us both out of the hole and a the Cobra and I was neck and neck. At the bottom of 3rd going into 4th I started pulling the Cobra pretty good and started pulling on the Z06. At the end of the quarter the Z06 lead me by a 1/2 car and the Cobra was back 1 car from the Z06. This race was ran 4 times didn't really change untill the 4th race when I blew a hose clamp off. So...yea a pullied Cobra will beat a full bolt on GTO, but it will be a pretty close race. Maybe a 1 car length difference. Still will be a good race to see... Don't write off a full bolt on LS2 so quick though(eventhough this is a SVT board) Bigger motor mods really make a difference.(I'm sure you guys know that though)

Why would a Z06 be dyno tuned but still need a Diablo handheld tuner?

S8ER01Z

Established Member
maybe it was diablo tuned on a dyno?

Thats how my friends LS2 GTO was done. The preloaded tune picked him up to 348rwhp and the dyno tune session left him a 361rwhp.

04A4GTO

Established Member
Most pullied cobras seem to do 117-119. A cammed GTO should do 115-118

I would love to trap 115-118 :) I've seen more then a few GTO's trap that but for some reason my auto just won't get it done. but I'm cool with my ET, it would be cooler to do it with higher trap speed tho. Roll racing isn't all that fun

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Seems like its going to be a good race...

I'll hopefully find my new car (terminator) within a month I'm hoping and I'll be ready to run with my friends GTO all day and night. For the moment out of my friends he's the only one who seems like a challenge and just wanted to know what to expect. My other friend has a stock MKIV NA supra that he is about to convert to a Single Turbo 76mm trim setup I believe which will be a fun project to work on with him. Basically all 3 of us are a year out of college, freshly employed, and itching to get back into the scene now that we're financially secure and out of college.

Atco Raceway will be my 2nd home this summer being that its 20 minutes from my house...hopefully I'll see a lot of SVTperformance members trackside!

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Then that Cobra owner couldn't drive. No offense.

Pullied only Cobras making 450-460 RWHP Trap 120+ with great drivers. Now add another 100 RWHP. Do the math.

I did. If a 650 rwhp Cobra traps 138 then if you take away 100 rwhp that would make it 128. Like I said eariler, mid to high 120s for a 540 rwhp. No matter though.

FutureCobraGuy

Established Member
It's only a race from a dig?? That's kinda silly. Well, it's very silly not kinda silly. You can measure your power vs. anotehr cars from a roll easier than you can from a dig. It eliminates the chance for excuses from a roll.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
It's only a race from a dig?? That's kinda silly. Well, it's very silly not kinda silly. You can measure your power vs. anotehr cars from a roll easier than you can from a dig. It eliminates the chance for excuses from a roll.

Dig races add in driver ability, not just power. That's why it is more of a race in my book. Roll or dig is fine but the dig requires more skill.

BayareaSS

Established Member
I would love to trap 115-118 :) I've seen more then a few GTO's trap that but for some reason my auto just won't get it done. but I'm cool with my ET, it would be cooler to do it with higher trap speed tho. Roll racing isn't all that fun

Yea thats a real low trap. You should get a stall and some tires. You'll be in the 11s

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I did. If a 650 rwhp Cobra traps 138 then if you take away 100 rwhp that would make it 128. Like I said eariler, mid to high 120s for a 540 rwhp. No matter though.

How is it Pullied and Ported Cobras make a bit over 500RWHP and RWTQ trap 125-128? Now you are talking a way more efficient blower, making close to 100 more RWHP. I guess you are saying 100 RWHP isn't good for a handful more of MPH in the 1/4. Who would have thought.

If I remember correctly, GNXS Larry traps 130+ and makes right around 600 RWHP. 50 RWHP is a big difference man. IMO at least.

lemons12

Established Member
Well thats you..... Theres no harm in doing both races. Plus there aren't many places to do dig runs out here

we have plenty of places here.

Dig races add in driver ability, not just power. That's why it is more of a race in my book. Roll or dig is fine but the dig requires more skill.

not only does it add in driver ability... building a fast/quick car is about MUCH MUCH more than just power... traction, suspension, weight transfer, where you make your power, how you make your power, how much you get to the ground, where your power band is, how fast it gets in the power band, etc etc etc.. i could go on all day..

racing from a roll ONLY show who has more power.. why not just do this..
Jim- "i have 540rwhp"
larry- "damn, i have 480rwhp.. you win"

it basically be the same thing.. if you cant build a car to hand the power you have, what good is it? NONE! if you can build a car that has power AND can get it to the ground, THEN your in business..

you might have a decently fast car from a roll... beat most people.. but then go to the track and have to go from a dig... and get destroyed by cars with a 100 or more less HP than you... how sad is that?
they built a better car than you did, period...

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
we have plenty of places here.

not only does it add in driver ability... building a fast/quick car is about MUCH MUCH more than just power... traction, suspension, weight transfer, where you make your power, how you make your power, how much you get to the ground, where your power band is, how fast it gets in the power band, etc etc etc.. i could go on all day..

racing from a roll ONLY show who has more power.. why not just do this..
Jim- "i have 540rwhp"
larry- "damn, i have 480rwhp.. you win"

it basically be the same thing.. if you cant build a car to hand the power you have, what good is it? NONE! if you can build a car that has power AND can get it to the ground, THEN your in business..

you might have a decently fast car from a roll... beat most people.. but then go to the track and have to go from a dig... and get destroyed by cars with a 100 or more less HP than you... how sad is that?
they built a better car than you did, period...

Racing from a roll is more than 3 honks and BOOM!!! It does come down to the driver.

450 RWHP Cobras kept up with 500+ RWHP Cobra's.

Same goes for GTO's, and other cars. Depends on the powerband, the tq curve, and the driver.

Sure, there is more Skill in racing from a dead stop, but not everyone has their races setup. You run what you brung. Isn't that the term these days?

lemons12

Established Member
Racing from a roll is more than 3 honks and BOOM!!! It does come down to the driver.

450 RWHP Cobras kept up with 500+ RWHP Cobra's.

Same goes for GTO's, and other cars. Depends on the powerband, the tq curve, and the driver.

Sure, there is more Skill in racing from a dead stop, but not everyone has their races setup. You run what you brung. Isn't that the term these days?

run what you brung has NOTHING to do with going from a dig or a roll.. thats mean whenever you pull up to the line its everything you got... whether it be nitrous NA supercharger turbo whatever.. and hope you got enough..

roll racing just takes WAAAAY too much out of the experience.. its somewhat boring..

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
run what you brung has NOTHING to do with going from a dig or a roll.. thats mean whenever you pull up to the line its everything you got... whether it be nitrous NA supercharger turbo whatever.. and hope you got enough..

roll racing just takes WAAAAY too much out of the experience.. its somewhat boring..

I agree. I think that having races set up allows you to pick and choose cars you will most likely beat. Rather than roll up to a nicely modded car on the street, you pick them.

Roll racing can be boring. However, in my experience and a lot of other peoples experience, it's all we got. We don't have the luxury to set races up, or we are just cruising around and run into someone that will only go from a roll.

lemons12

Established Member
I agree. I think that having races set up allows you to pick and choose cars you will most likely beat. Rather than roll up to a nicely modded car on the street, you pick them.

Roll racing can be boring. However, in my experience and a lot of other peoples experience, it's all we got. We don't have the luxury to set races up, or we are just cruising around and run into someone that will only go from a roll.

completely understandable.. and i totally agree.. if its a roll or nothing.. ill do it.. but if there is a chance to go from a dig, its going to happen..

however, i dont only race cars i know i can beat... i will race anything and anyone from a dig, within reason.. i wont waste my gas and have a chance to go to jail and get my license suspended for a 15 second car..
i will however race cars that are supposedly much faster than my car... cause as we all know, traction is the name of the game in street racing..

Users who are viewing this thread