LS2 GTO vs Terminator

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The thing that pisses me off still about all this is that these GM guys really think that a SS camaro runs 12's stock this is BS if this were the case then the 03 04 cobra runs 11 stock cause it kills an SS easily 2 or 3 car lengths. What you say about this

you don't even know what the **** your talking about shut up go get on your gay ass LSLOW Tech Forum

What the..This isn't smackdown, besides no need to take it so personal. :lol1:

amxguy1970

Established Member
The thing that pisses me off still about all this is that these GM guys really think that a SS camaro runs 12's stock this is BS if this were the case then the 03 04 cobra runs 11 stock cause it kills an SS easily 2 or 3 car lengths. What you say about this

I'd say your wrong! :shrug:

Tyler

amxguy1970

Established Member
Um hate to piss you off man but a stock cobra motor will make more power than your stock LS that means you can't change the heads or put your big cams an no NX, stock Cobra heads will see more than LS heads the rods in a Cobra will see more than a LS1 rods or piston they are forged home boy hate to hurt your feelings man but you can build a LS1 completely and all I have to do to my Cobra is either change the pulley for 80 bucks and tune it or spend 3 grand on a KB and destroy you I ahve seen it man

Yes I know about the whole forged motor and everything, I am just talking stock blower with what ever you want to do compared to a well thought out H/C LS car can be comparable. When you start going KB and what not then I know what has the advantage on the stock lower end. But don't throw out LS motors though. There have been multiple low boost forced induction cars with a little spray running in the 600+ rwhp area that race alot. Granted sooner or later it will go, as that happens with doing highway runs at that level, but they can support that for a while. When you get to motor builds everything gets thrown out the window, but I would put my money on the car with more cubes!

I am not the one that seems pissed am I? Kind of wondering what got your panties all up in a bunch, did some kid in a ratty trans am dust you off the other day on bottle? Someone has a lot of animosity built up huh?

The 03-04 Cobra is the only new model stang I would own (maybe a GT500), gotta love what it brings to the table no matter what manufacturer you pull for. :rockon:

That general LS motor blanket statment should probably be revoked as I bet the LS9 will be able to put forth some serious numbers more so then a Cobra.

Does anyone know what LS heads can out flow the Cobra heads stock? I know those stock heads are impressive, 600+ rwhp untouched. If I were to guess I would say either the LS9, LS7 or LS3 heads as I know the LS6, LS2 and LS1 heads shouldn't. At what level do you guys start messing with the heads on the cobras? P&P, valve train upgrades, cam upgrades?

Tyler :beer:

Last edited:

red97

Established Member
Cobra FTW.

I've had a 3 way race with two gto's while I was driving my brothers 03, had the disadvantage to both and destroyed both multiple times. My buddies 6.0 got within 4-5 cars I believe.

1. 5.7, Cam, Stall, Full Exhaust, Boltons, Bigs N Little-on nittto drags, Spray
2. 6.0, LMR Stealth Cam, Higher compression Pistons,cleaned up heads, full bolt on

Me, 03 Cobra, 2.93 pulley, tune, K&N, X pipe, magnaflow catback, 275 street tires full weight, weighed in at 4000K + at time of racing.

S8ER01Z

Established Member

Wow sweet attitude...I was actually stating that EVERYONE knew 6 years ago that the 4V S/C Cobra motor made more power than the LS1..

Also we 'think' the Camaro Z28 runs 12.8s (have articles to back it so please no flame war over nothing) as often as we think Cobras run 12.4 considering the same driver accomplished both.

Aside from your attitude being really horrible I have agreed with the information you have posted 99% of the time.:shrug:

amxguy1970

Established Member
Cobra FTW.

I've had a 3 way race with two gto's while I was driving my brothers 03, had the disadvantage to both and destroyed both multiple times. My buddies 6.0 got within 4-5 cars I believe.

1. 5.7, Cam, Stall, Full Exhaust, Boltons, Bigs N Little-on nittto drags, Spray
2. 6.0, LMR Stealth Cam, Higher compression Pistons,cleaned up heads, full bolt on

Me, 03 Cobra, 2.93 pulley, tune, K&N, X pipe, magnaflow catback, 275 street tires full weight, weighed in at 4000K + at time of racing.

Something doesn't sound right about that. Sprayed and cammed LS1, then another with the more cubes LS2 that is a built motor (since you talk about the pistons and heads cleaned up)?

Tyler

Swaie

Established Member
I know that my Ls1 M6 ran 13.3 in the quarter. Thats with a Lid and K&N. So no not all ls1 run 12s. Yea, stock for stock the cobra will beat the LS1. Hell it beat me anyway by about 2 cars. But I will say that you go and slap a blower on the 5.7 the 4.6 eventhough it breaths so much better than the old pushrod up top. Just won't hold up to the displacement on boost. I beat pullied and ported with drs cobras on the regular on 6 psi from a roll or dig by about 2 at the strip. And that with just the powerdyne and 3" exhaust, ported tb. Now I beat most pullied, ported, cammed, geared, LT's, on DR's so its not much of a problem for me. But it did take alot more money for me to do that though. now I have a FAST 90/90 combo, ported heads, LT's, customer ground blower cam, springs, and rods on 9 psi and larger injectors and fuel pump on stock bottom end with 160000 miles. So cobra's have a leg up from the factory because you have a blower but after that its just a money race. I didnt spend as much as most people would though because all of my parts are used. (every single part):banana::pepper::banana:

Last edited:

red97

Established Member
Something doesn't sound right about that. Sprayed and cammed LS1, then another with the more cubes LS2 that is a built motor (since you talk about the pistons and heads cleaned up)?

Tyler

Exactly what I thought before I raced them, I thought I was about to get owned big time. And I know for a fact the 5.7 has spray cause we did off bottle and on bottle runs. Off the bottle the 5.7 had nothing for either me or the 6.0, but on bottle it was about half a car back from the 6.0.

Keep in mind this was the street and anything can happen, my bro's car might just run very well?:rockon: Funny thing was it was only the second time I had driven it:D

Jroc

Established Member
Also we 'think' the Camaro Z28 runs 12.8s (have articles to back it so please no flame war over nothing) as often as we think Cobras run 12.4 considering the same driver accomplished both.

This is correct.

Didn't the same drive also run a 13.7 or maybe even better than that in a stock Edge GT? Was he also the one that ran the 12.2 in the stock GT500?

I can't think of the guys name, but he works for or with MM&FF.

amxguy1970

Established Member
Between 490-540rwhp depending on pulley size, tune and other factors. They're also almost 100lbs lighter as well. I do agree that a N/A GTO can be built to beat a ported & pullied Cobra, to say it can't is pretty ignorant.. The cobra just doesn't need as much work or money to make 500rwhp+ as it does in a full bolt-on H/C/I LS2 making 500rwhp+. There are far more examples of Cobras at that level than there are of GTOs. That's the advantage of having a car with a factory power adder that still weighs less.

As for being "lazy" because Ford decided to slap a blower on, well that's what this platform is all about. :D Besides, to along with that "slapped on blower" they added a fully forged, low compression engine with an iron block that includes everything needed to support 600rwhp+ from the factory. I personally love that Ford went in that direction, but I still find GM's N/A LSX motors equally impressive, (I just personally prefer them in a lighter car like a Vette or fbody when it comes to performance :D).

Anyways, GTOs are great cars. I've owned an LS1 and it's a great motor to work with. I think some are just getting bent out of shape because a Cobra IS faster stock, and is faster with bolt-ons. Beyond that, it's whoever has more money to spend, obviously anything can be made fast.

Good post and I agree with most everything! The blanket statement about Lazy wasn't really meant in the correct context. I was just trying to point out to him that instead of building a good NA motor they went smaller with the blower route with more goodies, kind of like they wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone. But I do agree! :beer:

Tyler

BTW, I do like how laid back the atmosphere is here and people can actually have discussions, and that the heated arguements have their own area. Sure makes for a good rivalry between here and the other LS based forums!

Last edited:

Swaie

Established Member
Um hate to piss you off man but a stock cobra motor will make more power than your stock LS that means you can't change the heads or put your big cams an no NX, stock Cobra heads will see more than LS heads the rods in a Cobra will see more than a LS1 rods or piston they are forged home boy hate to hurt your feelings man but you can build a LS1 completely and all I have to do to my Cobra is either change the pulley for 80 bucks and tune it or spend 3 grand on a KB and destroy you I ahve seen it man

Wrong. You will be running with a fully built ls1. I know this is a ford board but damn guys give the ls motors some credit. Hell I have a parter that has a Srt Caliber with 1200 invested that will beat a bone stock cobra and will waste a stock ls1...the cobra isn't the end all motor.

red97

Established Member
This is correct.

Didn't the same drive also run a 13.7 or maybe even better than that in a stock Edge GT? Was he also the one that ran the 12.2 in the stock GT500?

I can't think of the guys name, but he works for or with MM&FF.

You're right I get that mag, he's also run a 10.8 in a stock ford gt i believe

NA_Cobra

Established Member

You can put a GTO in 5th and top out and hold it for several miles...You can't do that in a Cobra or it'll seize on you.

Stock LS1 and LS2s will hold 650rwhp.

Stock Cobra at 8-9psi equal 370-380rwhp and Stock LS2 GTO at 8-9psi equal 515rwhp, So the LS6 heads will see more power than Cobra heads and they flow better.

3 grand on a KB + supporting mods still can't hold a candle to a C6Z with Longtubes/tune.

Jroc

Established Member
Wrong. You will be running with a fully built ls1. I know this is a ford board but damn guys give the ls motors some credit. Hell I have a parter that has a Srt Caliber with 1200 invested that will beat a bone stock cobra and will waste a stock ls1...the cobra isn't the end all motor.

No dout.

LS motors are very good, but by the same token their owners can be pretty bigheaded about their cars(particularly towards lesser Mustangs) themselves. People like to think of what they have as being better than the competition I guess.

You're right I get that mag, he's also run a 10.8 in a stock ford gt i believe

I don't DR, but it sounds like ol'e dude really knows what he's doing for sure. :rockon:

Jroc

Established Member
You can put a GTO in 5th and top out and hold it for several miles...You can't do that in a Cobra or it'll seize on you.

Stock Cobra at 8-9psi equal 370-380rwhp and Stock LS2 GTO at 8-9psi equal 515rwhp, So the LS6 heads will see more power than Cobra heads and they flow better.

3 grand on a KB + supporting mods still can't hold a candle to a C6Z with Longtubes/tune.

I'm not recommending it, but the motor seizing up on you isn't some guareenteed fact.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZXa_hRtT9M]YouTube - german autobahn blast in 03 cobra 178mph ON BOARD[/ame]

Plus a LS2 is a larger motor built to be efficent N/A so psi for psi its naturally going to make more power until it gives up the ghost. Also most people that add a blower to a LSx car(which is a pretty expensive thing to do) don't add blowers as unefficent as Eaton M112's. Thats not a good argument.

red97

Established Member

The only reason and Ls1 or Ls2 would make more power is because of cubes, not because of head flow...and LS Head doesn't hold a candle to a stock 4v head.

amxguy1970

Established Member
The only reason and Ls1 or Ls2 would make more power is because of cubes, not because of head flow...and LS Head doesn't hold a candle to a stock 4v head.

That was one of the questions I had, what LS series heads out flow the 4 valves? I would have to think an LS7 or LS9 head could?

Tyler

BLUBLLS

Evan Smith did get a Camaro to run a 12 stock on 2 different occasions. 1 was an SS and 1 was a Z28. He also got a Cobra to run a 12.43 stock, and into the 11's I believe with a lightning pulley, tires (cant remember if they werre slicks or DR's), and I think 1 other bolt-on or maybe it was a shifter :shrug:

Point is, the LS1 Camaro has gone a 12 stock :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread