M-82 Trans noise in neutral (tapping like metal hitting metal) until clutch is pushed

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
What would make this tapping/banging sound while in neutral, but goes away once you push in the clutch. Shifts fine just can here the noise. Any ideas or suggestions?

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Noise is not real loud inside the car but you can hear it over the Bassani axleback and off road h-pipe.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
This is no throw out bearing it is a slave. Sounds like something to do with the clutch. Since it goes away when you push the clutch pedal.

87hatchy

Established Member
Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
you need to pull out the trans to get to it

You may be correct, but i think the throwout bearing and slave cyl are one unit on the 2005+ cars...

Exedy Mustang Hydraulic Throwout Bearing/Slave Cylinder (05-13 GT, GT500) BRG0159 - Free Shipping!

You are actually correct its one whole unit. I guess Ford just calls it a slave cylinder. But I've actually not heard issues comming from the slave like they did on the old throwout bears that would go bad. Also you are 100% correct you must pull the tranny to fix any of these issues.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
No more warranty. Besides I wouldn't take/leave my car at a dealer for them to beat in anyway. The noise isn't a squeak but more like a knock/tap/bang like if you took a piece of metal and hit it against another piece. Once I push the clutch in the noise goes away. I'm saving to replace the whole clutch,pp,t.o.b,clutch line,DOT4 fluid and flywheel. Just didn't plan on doing this, this soon. It shifts and drives fine. I have a 2002 jeep wrangler and I know the t.o.b is going in it but that sound is different.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Take it in. The worst they can say is warranty voided. It would be a pretty pissy Ford Dealer to void powertrain warranty on a shifter swap out. JUST SWAP OUT THE SHIFTER FIRST TO BE SAFE IF YOU WISH.

Prior to taking it in you may wish to check the Barton setup to see if semething may have come loose that may be causing the noise E.G. - shifter mount bolts loose, tail support bracket loose, etc. Could be simple. May be a noise made through either of these items only when the clutch is released. Wierder things have been known to happen.

2005+ manual tranmissions use a hydraulic slave cylinder in lieu of forks, throwout bearings and clutch cables. Either way the tranny will likely need to be pulled to localize the problem and make repairs. If you are worried about warranty put the factory shifter and tail support back in the car before running it in. Powertrain mods have little to nothing to do with drive train on a manual drive car. Autos may be different.

Any respectable Ford dealer service center worth their weight would not NIX a guy for a shifter mod especailly considering the POS shifter they put in this car to begin with IMO. Put your sales rep to work for you as well if need be. Sometimes they can influence outcomes on service warranty issues....sometimes.

And BTW. Document, document, document. Do not have a conversation without taking notes, who you spoke with, when, where, what about,what was promised etc. THEN GET IT IN WRITING. Good luck.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
It's too freaking cold and rainy today but in the next few days I will jack it up and climb underneath and check all my shifter bolts and everything else under there. I will try to isolate the sound to a more specific location. I wasn't sure if it was loose flywheel bolts or bad TOB. No vibration or anything like that. I will keep you all posted on what I find out.

Worse case I will run it by my dealer. They seem pretty laid back and cool. So if need be I will have them fix it for me.

Shaun@AED

Is this on the idle lope tune?
If so, that is from the lope. It rattles the Trans gears. Pushing in the clutch disconnects the Trans from the engine.
This is the reason I don't do a more aggressive lope.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
My trans makes noise when in N that goes away with the clutch pushed in. Sounds like it is more of the PP rattling around or something on mine. It is 10x worse with the lope tune. I just ignore it, LOL.

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
I am thinking not the clutch or pressure plate, but internal transmission component. . .

my guess input bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread