M&H 345/35/18's on Weld Racing 18 x 12's

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
So I purchased these M&H 345/35/18's last year when Andy had the discount program with M&H. I purchased them to replace my M/T 345's, but I could see they ran larger and would require a slightly wider wheel so they wouldn't bulge. I saw the Weld 18 x 12's but chickened out and tried to sell the tires. No one purchased them so I did some careful measuring and I decided to give the Welds a shot. Turns out they actually have around 1/4" more clearance to the inside than the 345's on 11" widened stockers. This is because there is no bulge on the M&H/Welds. Backspacing on the Welds is 8.7" vs the 8.5" for the widened stock wheels.

I also picked up some 17 x 5's for the fronts instead of 18's, just in case I decide to pick up some 15 x 10's in the future.

The Mickeys on 18 x 10.875" widened stockers have a section width of 12.5"
MTwidth.jpg

The M&H on 18 x 12" Welds have a section width of 13.375"
MHwidth.jpg

Comparing the two, they look similar. The M&H are 0.875" wider.
345compare.jpg

rearquarter.jpg

frontview-1.jpg

frontangle-1.jpg

sideview-1.jpg

Last edited:

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
I like those a lot but I have a nice set of 18's already. I am going to get the drag pack 15's when my motor setup is done though. They really look good on your car.

bull3441

Established Member
Looks great. Do you have a pic from the back showing how fat they are? What mods did it require to get them to fit?

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
What tire is on the front?

They're M&H 185/55/17 front runner radials.

Looks great. Do you have a pic from the back showing how fat they are? What mods did it require to get them to fit?

Not the best pics below, but if you look at the rear quarter shot from the first post, you get a good idea.

Mods required: adj panhard, lose the shock dust covers, removal of bumpstop/lift brackets, and bumpstop relocation brackets.

rearlevel.jpg

rear.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They're M&H 185/55/17 front runner radials.

Not the best pics below, but if you look at the rear quarter shot from the first post, you get a good idea.

Mods required: adj panhard, lose the shock dust covers, removal of bumpstop/lift brackets, and bumpstop relocation brackets.

rearlevel.jpg

rear.jpg

Did you have to run the sway bar relo brackets? An your new set up looks sick. Do you happen to have the part numbers for the weld rims your running front an rear. Thanks

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

After all that, how much clearance is there? Got an underside shot?

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Did you have to run the sway bar relo brackets? An your new set up looks sick. Do you happen to have the part numbers for the weld rims your running front an rear. Thanks

I'm not running sway bar relocation brackets. No need to do that with these wheels. I also went back to stock height bumpstops with my relocation brackets, to avoid any possible rubbing on the outside fender. I had it out last night with zero clearance issues. The ride was a little harsh due to the stock bumpstops and FRPP springs which have the rear 1.25 to 1.5" lower than stock. My master plan includes raising the rear about 1/2" when I install my 150 lb springs for better weight transfer. Just waiting on some back ordered adjustable spring collars.

Front:

17" x 5" S71 w/high pad height (-21mm offset) (2.2" back spacing)

P/N 71HP7050A22A $489.81 ea.

Weight with M&H 185/55/R17's approximately 35 lbs.

Rear:

18" x 12" S71 w/med pad height (56mm offset) (8.7" back spacing)

P/N 71MP8120A87A $679.00 ea.

Weight with M&H 345/35/R18's approximately 55 lbs.

Similar pricing and heavier than Bogarts, but I can drive these on the street to the track.

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
After all that, how much clearance is there? Got an underside shot?

Here's a pic of the left side. I plan to remove that undercoating glob too.

DSC00117.jpg

Here's a pic of the right side. Hard to tell since the pic is further away, but there's actually a little more clearance on this side at this time. This clearance will vary from side to side with the panhard bar and how much fuel is in the car. I may still need to center it up a little better.

DSC00105.jpg

Left rear

leftbackview.jpg

Right rear You can also see here that the rear needs to shift just slightly to the left

rightbackview.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

If that's too tight for you're liking, Weld also has an 18 x 11.5 with 8.2" of back spacing. The 12's are 8.7". I also think the 11.5's would be better for the slightly smaller Mickey 345's and provide even more clearance to the inside.

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
What kind of hook difference (on the street) are you noticing?

Haven't tried them yet, but they should do a little better than the Mickey's on 11's.

Looks great. Hittingnup atco or etown anytime soon?

I plan to get down to Atco later this year. Hopefully for a rental. I plan to take it to Island Dragway sometime next month. The track prep isn't close to Atco's but it's much closer to me. I need to try and dial things in a little before I make the 2+ hour trek to Atco. I also need to see if the clutch is going to hold out too. Might need to upgrade before Atco.

Users who are viewing this thread