M5 BMW.... Fast?

svt2003

Established Member
Some cocky guy, with his cocky buddies pulled up next to me in a New M5 BMW. Started egging me on. Of course I could not resist. Slowed down to about 60 in 3rd. Let him take off first. Just hammered the gas, and pulled away a few car lengths. I was'nt sure if he was on it all the way, so I let him go again. He was on it . Same scenario. Slowed down so he could catch up:lol1: , You should of seen the look on the drivers face:( . Got home and checked the Motor Trend Mag issue with Specs 394 HP 302 V8 $71,000. 03 Cobra 390 HP $38,000 vert. Whats the better bargain? Now I wonder how he feels about his purchase after he went home to check his copy of Motor Trend?!?:cuss:
Gotta Love These Cars!!

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
There are two Dinan M5s parked across my place of employment.

> svt2003: M5 BMW.... Fast?

I shall find out soon enough...

SStupid

Established Member
Different

I'm not saying I don't think the Cobra is well worth the money, but the M5 is in a completely different class. It costs $71,000 because it's probably worth it. It has comfort in mind along with performance. The car weighs in a lot more than the Cobra (yes, something weighs more than an '03 Cobra) due to all the creature comforts, sound-deadening, etc., so it's going to be slower. It is pretty clear to me that Ford was mainly thinking about speed with this Cobra, but I assure you that speed was way down the ammenities checklist at BMW.

Good kill, though. BMW drivers are snobs.:-D

03DOHC

Established Member
Good kill.:beer: I've killed a few of the M cars. All were very easy.:thumbsup:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hey svt2003, you're the first person I've seen on here with flowmasters (I'm probably just blind). How do you like it? Was it a cat back or did you just have them welded in?

How do they compair to bassani and magnaflow, the two most popular on here (if you know).

I've always been a big fan of the flowmasters and wondering if I should be getting them or the the more popular magnaflows. I'm looking for loud as well as cool sound. Wish I could hear some other 03s.

BTW - nice kill on the M5. Are the M3s any quicker since they are lighter?

Thanks man
Malcolm

svt2003

Established Member
MalcolmV8,
Flowmasters cut/ weld in. Ive seen threads on the Flows where the HP was a bit lower than the Magnaflows and Bassani. There is another brand called Spintech that is supposed to be pretty good. IMO the Flows sound the best of all I've heard. Soon, I'm going to change out the Stock X Pipe and Cat Back with custom 3"-2 1/2"SS out back and keep the Flows. I have no idea how fast the M3 is? They have a smaller 3.3L w/333HP Bigger, Faster?

Orange Poison

Established Member
About a month ago I met a cool M3 owner.....oh, he was bragging about his car, but he gave mad props to the '03. He said he was handed his lunch to him twice by two black '03's.

He was definitely a car enthusiast....but him being a decent guy for a BMW owner caught me off guard....

Oh, and I hear the next gen. M3's (2005) are gonna pack a V8. Anyone else hear this? Supposed to be around 400 hp. Looks like it will be just in time for that L pulley.... :p

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
For some reason BMW guys hate to lose, I dont understand it. I ran into a new m3 on the highway a while back, we kept running from 40 rolls. I would pull him like crazy, but for some reason once I shut it down in the 120's, he would just fly right by with the hazards on, did this like 3 times. I would put many many cars on this thing from 40-120.. He would fly by each time with a smerk on his face, I don't get it.

StickyFinga

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
For some reason BMW guys hate to lose, I dont understand it. I ran into a new m3 on the highway a while back, we kept running from 40 rolls. I would pull him like crazy, but for some reason once I shut it down in the 120's, he would just fly right by with the hazards on, did this like 3 times. I would put many many cars on this thing from 40-120.. He would fly by each time with a smerk on his face, I don't get it.

Well who actually "likes" to lose?

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by StickyFinga
Well who actually "likes" to lose?

I dont mind when its something faster. I have yet to get killed on the highway, but last year I ran into a viper GTS in my 01 cobra.. the viper killed me and I gave him a big thumbs up.. who cares if you lose? It's not like there is anything at stake!

bradz2125

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
I have an aquaintence who had an M5. He raced me and it was pretty much dead even because I didnt go WOT due to the fact that I just took my '03 out of winter storage and it still had under 1000 miles on it. Plus my car was bone stock and I didnt have my CAI or exhuast on yet. But of course he thought he was the shiznit cause he hung with me in a four door sedan. I'd like to see him race me now in his M. But notice how I stress "had an M5" because now he just got a brand new Porsche 911 turbo X50. Now for you non porsche guys that means he has the GT2's turbos which give him about 30 extra hp above stock. Meaning he now drives a $150,000 AWD 450 HP car. Which after a few more mods of my own I will be just as fast as, all for a nice $35,000 biotch. American cars rule!

Last edited:

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Actually the E45 M3 and the M5's will bust out the same ET's (low 13's) at the track but the M5 traps a lot higher, around 108 or so.

And yes, they're totally different cars so I won't begin to compare them. If I want to cruise across country or take all my friends for a ride, I'll take the M5 and impress them. A good friend of mine has an AMG E55 Mercedes and man that thing is sick. 5 of us piled in and went out for a few races and the thing was dead even with a couple LS1's and destroyed my brothers 5.0 LX Mustang (has a LOT of mods). Some of those luxury imports aren't no joke, and certainly a cut above our cars IMO.

Another thing to remember: those cars are pretty much maxed out. They squeeze in all the perfectly matched and maxed technology they can, so it's not like they're gonna be doing a lot of mods to get any faster, whereas our cars are MADE to be modded and respond!

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
I'm looking forward to the new E55 myself...0-60 at manufacturer's list of 4.7 seconds (I have read 4.5 in reviews)...500 lbs of torque...stock...And there are a few minor upgrades that make a nice difference on the AMGs...pipes, cold air intake etc...I ordered a Tectite Grey for delivery in November...I"m not sure which will be faster, the weekend warrior or the daily driver...in which case it will be time to Kenne Bell the Cobra and go above 600 rwhp...

As far as good sportsmanship goes, I raced a viper who didn't give me the time of day. (I was seasoning the rotars at the time and I was afraid if I really got on it, I wouldn't be stopping as I was only in the middle of the process).

But I did race a couple of kids in a very very loud SS Comaro with about the biggest pipes I have ever seen...at least 4 inches, Are there such a thing as 5 inch pipes for a Comaro. Anyways, we ran twice from 10 miles an hour in 1st gear. The First run we ended up even as I started behind and wasn't sure the race was really on until we got going. But the Second run was really perfect...we were rolling Side by Side at 10mph...his passenger says 123go...and the race was on...I concentrated on making sure we punched it at the same time, I wasn't worried about the main race, I just wanted a nice even start. Well I pulled from the first instant and kept pulling to about 3 car lengths when we shut downa at about 110. The two highschool kids were raving about how fast my car was...there were thumbs up and peace signs and nice compliments all around...it was an absolute pleasure and I was pleased to congratulate them on their very fast car as well.

Peace and Speed,
Evan
:beer:

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
There are two Dinan M5s parked across my place of employment.
Didn't you learn the first time? CLICK HERE

That is a horse of a different color. Those will pull all the way to 185 & not flinch.....very quickly, too.

As for comparing a $38,000 vert Cobra to a $72,000 BMW M5, that too is a horse of a different color. Completely different car, completely different purpose.

They don't call them "Ultimate Driving Machines" for nothing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread