M931 Military shop truck build

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
My gun shop faces a major highway here in Calif (101 Fwy). So, we get great exposure to traffic going up and down the central coast. I decided to get a huge military truck to help draw attention to my shop. I first looked at getting a Deuce and a Half (M35A2), but quickly changed gears (pun intended) once I spotted the 5 ton series trucks. They are truly massive, and make an M35A2 look almost small in comparison!

I linked up with a reputable shop in San Clemente who specializes in refurbishing, and customizing, large US military trucks. We struck a deal for a 1991 M931 A2 5 ton 6X6. It started life, and served, as a tractor hauling military cargo for the USMC. It's got an 8.3 turbo diesel, Allison auto trans, air brakes, new Michelin super single tires (with CTIS, central tire inflation system), and will be receiving a custom made bed in place of it's 5th wheel. I'm having the entire truck refinished from top to bottom (inside and out), and painted in a green/black camo pattern. My shop logo will be on the doors, tailgate, and front bumper when done.

Here are a few pics of the progress, for anyone else sick in the head like I am for Military gear. You don't get a true sense of it's size until you see people, or normal vehicles, near it! This will be a blast to drive around town, take on outdoor range excursions with my crew, and to draw attention to my shop. I've already had requests to enter it in local parades too. LOL

My new Zombie crusher on day one... she's not pretty, YET
2z7mxzk.jpg

Bed construction...
28s6b1i.jpg

Priming and body work for paint... bed in place...
5y8etc.jpg

Getting painted...
bfianc.jpg

I'll update this thread as work continues.

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I have an HOA too. Let 'em TRY and tow it. :lol1:

I actually have a local guy who said I can park it with his fleet of trucks. He has a secure lot a few miles from my house. But, I'll bring it home at LEAST a few times just to see the reactions.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
hahaha. Yeah my HOA is very sue happy for things like that. They just try and seize your place.

New place coming soon.

canibus

Established Member
Where on the central coast are you, I have family in SB, maybe I can stop by and check out your shop. I'm in the market for another handgun.

svtmadman

Established Member
Saw an OSHKOSH on TRUCKPAPER and I was drooling! Nice build! Oh btw it was and 8V Detroit Power...very distinctive sound and had 2 BIG ASS WINCHES! Check it out or buy for 32K I think...

Sapperstang

Established Member
Nice to see someone doing one of those instead of a deuce. When I joined the Army these were the series of trucks being used. Sooo much better than the old deuces. I want one with the dump bed.

Users who are viewing this thread