mac longtubes/blowing smoke?

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
As I have posted earlier my longtubes are in.
:rollseyes Is it worth it to hang on to the mac
LT's(try and sell them) and order ?BBK's?
Can someone point me in the direction ie, link
an article or explanation as to why these
headers are "blowing smoke"

:shrug: thanks,

Mike:whine:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Oh well.

From what I've heard from the horses' mouth (people that have 'em and have installed 'em). Some eat the oil like its going out of style and some don't. Its like gambling to me at this point, do I want the sound? "YES" Do I want the head eche of oil and smoke blowing? "NO" From what's been stated with people I know, it sounds like its the valve seals, no Lighting's have this problem 5.4 with the l/t's and they have teflon seals not rubber, so a local guy will be doing some testing with the heads mods and I'll let ya know how he makes out. Its really a guess at this point. I to am still waiting for a positive solution. Best of luck with your
toys.:burnout:

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Thanks for the info Brad, I'm pretty freaked out about putting them on I called Mac and talked to Mike and he was a D!ck. He said that the motors were crap blah blah blah.... and at that point i stopped listening and he said that "sure you here all the bad stories but you never hear the good ones"
My local tuner who is installing the headers Tues. explained it to me and told me they would check the headers for slag and weld off the EGR valve so "I wouldnt loose any sleep over it" is what he told me. Tuesday is the big day====wish me luck

Mike

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Yo, you better post that sh*t good or bad, we know you'll be posting if its bad. Thats for sure. I hate to say it but Mac, who we all love to hate and I still do, might be correct on the Ford F-up on something with these dual over head motors, its not science like the 5.0. It took Chevy a couple year after Ford to venture into the over head motor world. I hate Chevy, anyway, I still believe Ford didn't iron out all the loose end on the 4.6, just my opinon. There is a lot of motor builders that all have their own opions, f't-up isn't it. Their aiming toward the head design, I though it had something to do with the egr/vaccum system pressure change when the longtube headers are installed, causing build up of carbon on the rings, but if so they would have all have the problem. Which they don't, just some. Oh I forgot to ask, what oil you running and how many miles you got on your bitch, 01cobrakid. Best of luck and make me jealous and tell me about the sound of the car when its done, I hope you don't have a problem. Peace.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Got the car!!!!!!!!
SOUND IS AMAZING, it does sound diferent than I thought it would the prochamber pipe gives it a raspy 5.0 kind of sound but those headers are amazing and they really come alive after about 4,000 RPMs. Havnt had it above 4,800r's yet. He said they checked for slag and all was good and they did check the EGR valve and they left it open? I'm off to go drive a little more!!! I even like the smell of it without the cats!

Mike

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Do a test. Know were the level of the oil is on the dip stick after leaving the car sit over night. Drive the car, leave sit over night and check dip stick again, hopefully you don't get the problem. Most people have it right away the smoke from the exhaust while drive it very noticable. Best of luck, let us know how you make out. Thanks again.:beer:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Removed the K member, dropped out the front end suspension and went in from below. Not sure but he said it was a pretty much all-day thing! Im sure it took like 6 or 7 hours. $490 for installation then he cut me a big deal on dyno time and prochamber, catback installation. Cool guy and I wouldnt trust anybody else to do it other than a speedshop and I sure as hell cant! I did notice some blue smoke but im almost positive that its just normal but we will see?

Mike

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
prochamber pipe gives it a raspy 5.0
You might like the h-pipe sound better. I have a x-pipe and I bought a h with cats just because i don't like the sound. Just my thoughts. Explain the blue smoke, a puff on start up or when you give it the gas? Blue's bad. Blacks ok. Also you'll want to get it dyno tuned. The long tubes make it run lean. :read:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
I'll give you more info on the oil when I know more and have a little more time with it, as far as the dyno tune I'm gonna get it done pretty soon but the superchip I have in my car; the shop I go to now uses autologic software so I have to spend $300 and get an autologic and scrap the superchip which costed I believe $375 dyno tuned and now the shop i go to now told me that whoever programed my chip gave me too much timing and that my car was "pinging on cam" when they put it on the dyno.
????This is not only an expensive hobby but confusing too????

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
well i will know in the next couple of days if im losing oil or not but that will suck if i am then what would i do/-go back to stock manifolds? That would suck, o well im keepin my fingers crossed. It sounds awsome now! and what a diference in power! But i desperately need a new tune!

Mike

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Sound good so far

Red about someone having changed back to stock headers after the oil issue and it didn't help. Might be in the head design/and or valve seals? I realy don't know tho. Let us know about the use of oil?:thumbsup: Glad to hear the sound is kick-ass

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
noticed decrease in oil and blowing excessive blue smoke took it back in to the shop they put crankcase breathers on the engine closing off all lines to the intake hoping this will cure the problem.
WE WILL SEE!?

mike

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Sorry man. Some people have done what your doing and they said it takes some thing to get the oil out of the upper intake, some people also take the intake off and clean out the oil. Best of luck, please let us know the progress. Brad:uh oh:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Also you mention a tune, don't forget to change the computer not to have egr working. I don't know for sure but your cobra the way it's plumbed right now might not run as well or might blow a check engine light, or light codes(non check egine).:beer:

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Originally posted by 01cobrakid
Removed the K member, dropped out the front end suspension and went in from below. Not sure but he said it was a pretty much all-day thing! Im sure it took like 6 or 7 hours. $490 for installation then he cut me a big deal on dyno time and prochamber, catback installation. Cool guy and I wouldnt trust anybody else to do it other than a speedshop and I sure as hell cant! I did notice some blue smoke but im almost positive that its just normal but we will see?

Mike

What's the name of the shop that put them on? Have you bought your chip yet?

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Well brad I'm hoping the cranckcase breathers will solve this oil problem. My egr valve is working(open) but I hope to be getting a new chip pretty soon and yes it will be dyno-tuned like my current one and I will probly have the egr valve shut off. The idle of the car is kind of ruff right now. I'm hoping the chip will make the car run a little better and hopefully give me a couple extra ponies.

Raider: Greg at Detroit speedworks performed the exhaust work and I'm goin to sell my dyno-tuned superchip from Pauls high performance and convert to a autologic chip from Detroit speedworks. Greg is really cool and really helpful and not that Paul isnt but he is too far away from me. Detroit speedworks is 10 minutes from me and there a little bit cheaper.

How much should I ask for a $superchip$ dyno tuned for an 01 cobra with a 4:10 rear??? (i want to sell it)
Greg does not have superchip software!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread