mac longtubes/blowing smoke?

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
The reason I asked, is because I had a tuner named Jerry do mine. He reflashed the the computer, and no chip was needed. The cost with a S/C was 450.00, it included the dyno runs.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Does "Jerry" work out of a hop shop? Which one? How did the car run at milan? Your car looks amazing with the speedster tonneau!

Mike

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
Thanks Bro. :thumbsup: Jerry will travel to several places that have a dyno... You will need to contact the specific shop first. He did my flash out of Dyon-Dave's in Brownstown.

Dave will setup a appointment if your intersted.

Dyono Dave
17608 Telegraph Rd
734-229-1290

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
:cryying: Well i lost one quart of oil in about 5
days. (150 miles) I am goin back to talk to
Greg tonight, hopefully he is not at the SEMA
show or if he went hopefully he's back. I dont
know what the hell I am gonna do now. :(
He better give me some good answers, I
specifically asked him about THIS PROBLEM
he said "I wouldnt loose any sleep over it"
I asked him if i should hold off on these
headers or if i should get other ones. (even
after they had been ordered) He said he
doesnt like the Mac catback but the headers
are fine. The thing I dont understand is that he
said he has installed these headers before and
has never seen/heard of this problem. And he
has even torn down the block that has had
these headers installed and they were fine.
He took the car for a drive the other day and
said he was amazed at how much smoke it
produced in a "first gear Romp" then he put the
crankcase breathers on it. I have noticed less
smoke and less of gas/oil smell inside the car.
No matter what happens with this situation
Mac is gonna hear from me. Brad65ford get
rid of those headers before its too late. They
will just make you :fm: What I like about what
Greg said was "the smoke means its making
alot of horsepower" :rollseyes What should
happen should the hop shop put the old
headers back on for me free of charge should
I have to pay them or what:shrug: Well I will
keep you all informed; whatever happens.

Mike

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Son of a bitch...

Now try disconnecting and or double gas filtering the pvc valve, I've heard that the oil get sucked into the crank case that why. Man I've heard so many different reasonings that people think are correct and or help the problem. If you find something that you think is correct, try to remove the intake and clean out the oil. I think thats why when people put the old/stock headers back in the problem seems to still be there, but its just the oil sitting somewhere in the intake. Just some ideas. :read:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showth...75393&highlight=problems+oil+smoke+Long+tubes

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167953&highlight=oil+drinking

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59315&highlight=oil+drinking

:read: Hope these help, maybe you can ask them some ?'s.

Last edited:

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
I'm going to the shop tonight. I am still losing oil, it seems to be
inconsistant loss but lots of blue smoke on heavy exceleration.

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
??????/

Well I went to see Gregg tonight and he told me what I thought he would, "take it to the dealer and see what they say" If they refuse to work on it bring it back and I will close off the Egr valve.
I am not to worried about taking it in. I know they cannot void my warranty unless they can directly relate the problem to the aftermarket part/s (i.e. headers, off-road midpipe) so therefore I am pretty "cool" at this point. We'll see what happens when I take it in tomorrow or the next day. WISH ME LUCK!!

Mike

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
The set of MAC's that I have, the EGR is welded. I hear this is the way to go. I have also heard of pretty good results with a S/C installed with these pipes. I hope things work out for you. Good luck, keep us posted!

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
I have been to the dealer and I talked directly with the mechanic.
(hes pretty cool, he gave me a new clutch b4 when my throwout bearing went out) He said the headers have nothing to do with it.
I told him that the car would smoke before the headers were put on and then after the install it got worse and i have noticed blue smoke and noticable oil loss. He said not to worry and Gregg the service consultant is a cool guy. I dont know if that was code for:
dont worry about the headers, we will overlook them. So now I take the car in monday for a oil consumption test.

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
well get this: I took the car into the dealer yesterday and they did the oil change(start of the consumption test) and they obviously could tell i had full exhaust once they started the car. The service consultant tells me that he is not worried about the NO CATS, not worried about the headers but freaked out when he found the pcv valve disconnected and the crankcase breathers on. He told me that this was the problem of the oil consumption because there is not enough backpressure. He asked me if I did the work myself and I said no and told him who did and he said "I like what they did its really nice" "and if I had the car I would take the cats off too" He said typically the headers and no cats void the warranty but he was going to try and help me out but i might end up having to pay for something, like when they/if they put the new engine in I will have to pay for installation of the aftermarket exhaust. I was just saying "yes sir" to the guy because he has total control of my car and there is no point in arguing with them. Keep in mind this is the same guy who; when i said "is it possible to upgrade to an 03 engine" he said "oh no way you mean you want the motor with the TURBOS, no you cant upgrade to the turbo motor, it will be an 03 motor but it wont have the turbos" i just agreed with him and told him that i didnt think they could do that. I tried so hard to keep myself from laughing!!!!! so I just smiled and changed the topic.
Now im just driving the car and losing oil so i can take it in and have them put oil in it and create a record/pattern. I will keep you all informed of what happens!

Mike

mark.west.gtsi

Smoke with Mac Headers

Originally posted by brad65ford
01cobrakid, what going on with the oil/smoke sych?

Noticed your post on the smoke coming from your exhaust after you installed your Mac LT headers. I had a set put on my 01 cobra when it had 3000 miles on it along with a H- pipe. It started smoking almost overnight. I was goinig through oil like crazy. Well, I didn't take them off right away but kept checking the oil level every day. at 5000 miles the engin developed a knock at 2500 rpm. Brought it to ford and they denied warrenty work on the engine because of the mods. Fought them for months. Finally had the engin torn down at a Pro Mustang shop in VA. The back to pistons where they attach to the crank we beat to S--t! The guys at the shop thought it was from oil starvation because the headers created some sort of windage in the oil pan causing the oil to shoot over the top causing the burning. What a nightmare. Having the engin rebuilt with forged parts now. Cost: 6500.00 goodluck

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
----------->"cost $6500, good luck"<----------
I think I am gonna :cryying:
Any more details on what happened with your car would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I seem to have a pretty good dealership that is willing to work with me but hopefully when it comes time to act they will keep their word. $6500 that is pretty good for a built 4.6 4v, I mean dont get me wrong thats still expensive but for the block, aftermarket parts and then the install, build thats not that bad. Me---->:bash: i knew i shouldnt have had the headers installed!:gt:

Mike

mark.west.gtsi

Originally posted by 01cobrakid
----------->"cost $6500, good luck"<----------
I think I am gonna :cryying:
Any more details on what happened with your car would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I seem to have a pretty good dealership that is willing to work with me but hopefully when it comes time to act they will keep their word. $6500 that is pretty good for a built 4.6 4v, I mean dont get me wrong thats still expensive but for the block, aftermarket parts and then the install, build thats not that bad. Me---->:bash: i knew i shouldnt have had the headers installed!:gt:

Mike

FYI- Same block being used, all internal parts being replaced. l&m Motors out of manassas Va is doing the rebuild. My Pro Charger is sitting in the box waiting for the Motor. Should be here on monday. Hope to have it all installed by Dec 1. Cant wait!

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
Its very unfortunate that you had those problems.(I feel your pain) but........ It sounds like you got 1 helluva setup on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know how it goes?

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
well i am leaving for lake tahoe tomorrow morning and will be back the 9th which is when the final oil consumption problem will be recorded then its on to calling ford and asking what to do next? My service consultant thinks that there should be no problem in getting a new engine and he told me they will put in a new tranny while they have got the car apart. (still cant figure out the problem with the TO bearing) The dealer said they have had to replace many 99+ engines due to bad rings or bad valve guides. I guess it pays off to work at a ford dealer. 12,000 miles new tranny, new motor!!!!!!

Mike

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
well......... new motor came in today, start the teardown tomorrow, should be driveable mid-next week! They are going to replace the TO bearing again and if that does not work then they will try and get a new tranny but ford has not been cooperating they sent an inspector out to look @ my car. I have a remanned cobra motor but not a brand new one. I hope this one holds up!

Mike

mark.west.gtsi

longtubes/smoke

Hey,
Glad you got back to me as I lost the last post. I have had my cobra back for about 3 weeks now. I quit fightig with Ford on my engin problem long ago. I had my motor rebuilt here in Virginia. After we tore the motor down we found that the back 2 cylinders, where the pistons are attached to the crank were all beat up and loose. The crank had scarring at the bearing. No way my headers and chip caused that problem! Anyway, ford said tough. no warrany repair. I had forged pistons put in, more manly rods and a new crank installed. Installed a hi pro oil pump, Pro-charger, 3:73 rear. reinstalled my headers and h pipe with cat back system. Dyno numbers are 444 rwhp and 427 tourqe. We also vented the engine to reduce the vacume caused by the headers. so far so good, no oil burn in 600 miles. Gas mileage as gone to hell in a hand basket though and my tires wont hold second gear. I have a small bump at around 3300 rpm and she is running a little rich right now about a 10 when the supercharger kicks in. I have a Pro- M univer MAF on order to try to even it out a bit. The univer MAF senses air and fule 360 degrees. With the air coming out of the charger at the Bend, the one I have on now wont adjust for it. All in All...I am happy with it.

F1Cobra

Established Member
Holy shit man. Very informative post about your experience with mac LTs. I was just down about to order them, literally 2 hours ago i was standing in a shop ready to order them with a prochamber. I'm glad I elected to do shocks/struts and springs instead and come back next week for the LTs.

So BBKs for sure now i guess. Has anyone heard of anything similar with them?

Established Member
I have BBK LTs. They are great. No smoke and a lot of power. LTs, shorty Bassani X, MAC cat-back, lowering springs, Steeda pulleys, and Densecharger and I ran a 13.01 @ 109.55. Oh yeah, stock gears and street tires. hehe

Also, when you do BBKs, use your stock or buy new stock gaskets and reuse the Ford studs and nuts. Some nuts may strip and you may have to use the bolts. So far, the three I had to use have not backed out at all, but they are known for it.

Again, no oil problems with the BBKs.

Users who are viewing this thread