Mac or PC?

ViciousJay

Established Member
I just bought a used Mac off ebay, tossed a SSD in it and threw 10 gig of ram into it as well, the SOB hauls for under $600.

Word of advice stay away from Yosemite OS X, i recommend torrenting Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The second you bootcamp a MAC and browse to the ol device manager you get to see what's under the hood. What you will find is a bunch of Intel hardware. You can purchase an Intel Windows laptop at a fraction of the cost.

The whole argument of Mac Books and Macs having better hardware is false. The aluminum case is nice, I will admit, but that's an expensive beer can.

I am a fan of Windows and Linux. I see Apple as being a designer brand, capitalizing on a craze. I have yet to see any true innovation come from Apple.

There is no innovation.

They do however benefit from having an OS that is built to work great within a very specific set of hardware profiles, versus say windows which just has to work good enough with everything.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I just bought a used Mac off ebay, tossed a SSD in it and threw 10 gig of ram into it as well, the SOB hauls for under $600.

Word of advice stay away from Yosemite OS X, i recommend torrenting Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks
I just upgraded to Mavericks it will be awhile before I even think about going to yosemite

earl lee

Established Member
Go ahead and get the Mac, you can always dual boot and add windows 7 to it later............

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Actually, this isn't true anymore. The Adobe suites for instance have been better utilized for Windows platforms for some time now. I think it was CS5 or the first CC (I don't recall at this point) that was utilized for Windows first and as a result the PC versions of the software blitzed the Apple options. This was mainly due to receiving 64 bit support first. Rendering large prepress files on OSX was 90 seconds slower than on Windows 7 at the time. Adobe was very public about changing their development strategy towards Windows when the market shifted in the 2000's.

You will also find that Windows is the preferred software to run hardware. None of my hardware is even compatible with Apple OS's nor were any of the offset litho presses I worked on prior to owning this company.

What's holding back the printing industry are the desktop operators. It's a business that's been using Apple operating systems for ages at this point and that's all the people in the field know how to use. Believe it or not prepress operators are generally computer illiterate. I was in charge of product development for a company and we found that the PC's were not only cheaper to operate and maintain but also ass raped the Macs in terms of processing times for the files we scanned, converted, and worked on for our clients. When we began to roll out PC's in place of the Macs (that were falling apart and experiencing OS slowdowns) the operators had a meltdown because they couldn't figure out how to perform simple tasks on the PC's for no other reason than they had been using Apple computers since the industry went digital.

The argument that Macs are better for video and graphics is an argument that should have died 15 years ago.

no it shouldn't have. because it's still true. for designers, MAC>windows. everytime.

EDIT: i didn't mean that in a hardware sense. more the usability side.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
no it shouldn't have. because it's still true. for designers, MAC>windows. everytime.

EDIT: i didn't mean that in a hardware sense. more the usability side.

what designers?

Every ME, architectural firm, structural engineering firm, etc ive ever seen have all been on PCs.

What are these people designing? It sure in the hell isnt anything important.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
what designers?

Every ME, architectural firm, structural engineering firm, etc ive ever seen have all been on PCs.

Im guessing he meant Pixar? :D:lol1:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
OP you’re better off using a Mac. Its a simple OS and has an easier learning curve vs a PC. I prefer PC for a bunch of reasons, gaming being one of them. For simple web gaming for your son, either one will work.

For the whole Mac will last longer, that’s bs…. Tell that to the people that owned Power PC Mac’s….. Intel will soon follow the same fate….. I have an old PC that was running XP and now runs Win 8.1...

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
what designers?

sorry, i was referring to the people who keep any and all businesses alive through the creation of advertising, collateral, branding, web etc...

you know, the important designers who belong to marketing teams and such.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
sorry, i was referring to the people who keep any and all businesses alive through the creation of advertising, collateral, branding, web etc...

Guess that depends on who you think the "important" designers are. I don't know of a single engineering firm that uses macs, you know the important designers who design and build our cars, bridges, skyscrapers, airplanes, etc. The designers who make the things that give marketing something to do. Well other than maybe apple lol. Not sure if they use macs or PC's. I'll have to ask my friend who worked their but I'm sure it would be a mac.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Yeah I was a little worried about the NMCI because I had it on my compaq and still use it for Navy stuff. Few of my buddies were able to hook up CAC reader and login so I have to ask them how they did it. I remember downloading the program and it asked me Mac or PC few yrs ago, hopefully it goes smooth. I went to a buddies house yesterday and he was able to transfer all my stuff from Compaq to Mac yesterday and showed me some shortcuts and gave me a spare magic mouse he had! Saved me a few bucks and Cody on here hooked me up with LR5.....sweeet. My son likes it so far and so do I. The simplicity of it or pretty straight forward its just getting used to it ya know? I checked the storage and I had 495gb on it and buddy was recommending I upgrade to a TB for a Lil more like he did. As far as the os it has Yosemite, i ve never used one so I guess its OK since I won't notice the difference but the guy I bought it from told me he prefers Maverick as well.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Yeah, I dont count people using photoshop as important.

And furthermore, at the point you are comparing a $1500-2k Mac to a $1500-2k built rig with windows, theres no difference in performance. But everyone goes from a $400 low end dell and then hates it and splurges on a $2k mac and goes "ZOMG its so much betters!" Well yeah, but if you spent that much on a regular PC, youd have had the same experience.

Guess that depends on who you think the "important" designers are. I don't know of a single engineering firm that uses macs, you know the important designers who design and build our cars, bridges, skyscrapers, airplanes, etc. The designers who make the things that give marketing something to do. Well other than maybe apple lol. Not sure if they use macs or PC's. I'll have to ask my friend who worked their but I'm sure it would be a mac.

Bingo.

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
photoshop is not a primary program most of the time. that's quite an ignorant statement. i'm not going to sit here and devalue the worth of a person who just simply takes numbers or specs and plugs them into autocad and thinks they're a designer.

and i suggest never starting a business as you don't feel advertising and branding are important and you will fail miserably.

And furthermore, at the point you are comparing a $1500-2k Mac to a $1500-2k built rig with windows, theres no difference in performance. But everyone goes from a $400 low end dell and then hates it and splurges on a $2k mac and goes "ZOMG its so much betters!" Well yeah, but if you spent that much on a regular PC, youd have had the same experience.
well there's the rub, even a low end mac is still relatively good and miles better than a low end pc. i do alot of in-house contract work and any time it's been a place that runs pc's they're never highend and usually have considerable lag (not to mention crashes). i've never had that issue in a mac environment. and in every one of those situation the marketing team has been pushing for mac's, however the company won't go for it because the crappy pc is cheaper. furthermore, hardware aside, mac os is much more conducive to the adobe software. shortcuts are more intuitive, ease of going between the different programs is easier, etc..

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Mac. Short for Macintosh. You sound like such an expert and you can't even get that right.
where did I ever claim to be an expert? oh wait I didn't, I use MACs and PCs both, I have way more experience with PCs since I have been mucking with PCs since before you were out of diapers. I got my first MAC in 2005. I use MAC just to piss people like you off, I am fully aware that it is Mac but it is more fun to watch people like you get their knickers in a bunch when I use MAC. so MAC it is, unless I don't feel like hitting the shift key

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member

you're quite backwards, the marketing designers allow those other designers the opportunity to take the predefined numbers they're given and plug them into their autocads that spit out results. no company survives without the marketing that generates customers and allows everyone else to have their jobs.

Blown 89

Established Member

So you mean businesses like mine? No Macs here. At this very moment I'm on a conference call with Victoria's Secret and they don't seem to mind that I'm doing their advertising on a PC. I worked at a design firm that did color correction, catalogs, billboards, and advertising campaigns for Neiman Marcus, Macys, Anthropologie, Ford, Honey Baked Ham, Panera Bread and a host of other big name companies. Not a single thing we did there was Mac specific and as I stated, PC's were the only compatible hardware with the press hardware. Even the video side of the world has been seeing the use of both. When I sold my video production company years ago our PC NLE's outnumbered our Mac bays.

Just because marketing firms use Macs doesn't mean they're better than PC's or that they can do anything a PC can't, it means that the people who have been in that industry for 40+ years are comfortable using them. Like I said, you'd be shocked how little people in the graphics world know about computers.

As far as usability you do realize that most cross platform programs such as the Adobe offerings work utilize the exact same interface?

So tell me. What can Macs do for the print advertising industry that PC's cannot? How is the usability better? I'd love to have my eyes opened because it will change my career drastically.

Blown 89

Established Member
You'd be surprised at the number of things that go through photoshop during the design process. It's not all about shopping lasers on sharks and boobs on models. Photoshop plays an important role in advertising that most people never see.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
So you mean businesses like mine? No Macs here. At this very moment I'm on a conference call with Victoria's Secret and they don't seem to mind that I'm doing their advertising on a PC. I worked at a design firm that did color correction, catalogs, billboards, and advertising campaigns for Neiman Marcus, Macys, Anthropologie, Ford, Honey Baked Ham, Panera Bread and a host of other big name companies. Not a single thing we did there was Mac specific and as I stated, PC's were the only compatible hardware with the press hardware. Even the video side of the world has been seeing the use of both. When I sold my video production company years ago our PC NLE's outnumbered our Mac bays.

Just because marketing firms use Macs doesn't mean they're better than PC's or that they can do anything a PC can't, it means that the people who have been in that industry for 40+ years are comfortable using them. Like I said, you'd be shocked how little people in the graphics world know about computers.

As far as usability you do realize that most cross platform programs such as the Adobe offerings work utilize the exact same interface?

So tell me. What can Macs do for the print advertising industry that PC's cannot? How is the usability better? I'd love to have my eyes opened because it will change my career drastically.

wow so you're a designer that prefers windows? you're literally the first i've ever met.

i never said anything about what a mac can do and what a pc can't. i also never said other firms would have issues with someone using mac vs pc because unless you said something they wouldn't know the difference. i just stated from the usability standpoint. as i stated previously, in my opinion mac os is better suited for the adobe programs and going back and forth between them.

in my personal experience, and from people i know, not once have i or any of them used a PC for their work and said 'man i prefer this over a mac'. obviously your personal preference is opposite. nothing wrong with that. maybe i need to find a company who's willing to pay for better pc's at the price of a basic mac. unfortunately, i haven't found that company.

Users who are viewing this thread