Mac or PC?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
you're quite backwards, the marketing designers allow those other designers the opportunity to take the predefined numbers they're given and plug them into their autocads that spit out results. no company survives without the marketing that generates customers and allows everyone else to have their jobs.

I'm by no means dismissing marketing people, not even saying they aren't important. A good marketing group can take a company making good money and push them to the next level. I just see it the opposite way. I work for a small company that has been around for close to 60 years. We don't have a marketing group and we do well. We don't sell to the public though. We sell products to the government, boeing, lockheed, raytheon, etc. Their are many other companies out there like us (just different products/services) that don't need marketing. The way I see it is a company can't run without it's engineers/product designers but can function without marketing. Even though not marketing is a stupid business decision.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2012/04/03/macs-invade-the-enterprise/

here is a quote from an article in Forbes, the writer was all about businesses staying with Windows but this particular observation was interesting in light of thomas's remarks:

"I admit the numbers don’t exactly support my position. Just recently, Microsoft reported that 40 million copies of Windows 8 have been sold, but a new report says that U.S. Windows device sales are down 21% on last year and Windows 8 tablet sales are “almost non-existent”. Overall PC sales are lower than last year and Microsoft’s new operating system is yet to have an impact. I see plenty of business people using (and loving) their iPads and iPhones wherever I go. And these devices serve a good purpose: easy and quick access to the web so that you can check emails, read and watch movies.

Many of my clients ask me: should I buy a Mac or Windows PC? And I always say the same: if you want to spend more money for the same result then get a Mac. But unless you’ve got a business that heavily relies on graphics (Apple has historically made great design software and hardware) you should stick with Microsoft products. Here are a few reasons why.

link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2012/12/03/should-i-buy-a-mac-for-my-business-in-2013/

here is another interesting take on MACs in the enterprise from this year:

http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2014/06/apple-enterprise-invasion.html

so the mac vs pc debate will go on for quite some time. which one is better, the answer is really "it depends" and all the fanbois of one or the other will continue to get asshurt when someone disagrees with them.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
I'm by no means dismissing marketing people, not even saying they aren't important. A good marketing group can take a company making good money and push them to the next level. I just see it the opposite way. I work for a small company that has been around for close to 60 years. We don't have a marketing group and we do well. We don't sell to the public though. We sell products to the government, boeing, lockheed, raytheon, etc. Their are many other companies out there like us (just different products/services) that don't need marketing. The way I see it is a company can't run without it's engineers/product designers but can function without marketing. Even though not marketing is a stupid business decision.

i know you weren't. my comment came off as snarky. sorry about that.

most companies that don't employ a marketing team at least outsource to a firm (lets face it, some companies can't justify a whole team if they don't do enough marketing). but even if you're selling to a government entity, things like the company's logo/branding, year end or quarterly reports, sales presentations and all the collateral necessary for the presentations, company websites, etc... there's always a need for it.

Blown 89

Established Member
photoshop is not a primary program most of the time. that's quite an ignorant statement. i'm not going to sit here and devalue the worth of a person who just simply takes numbers or specs and plugs them into autocad and thinks they're a designer.

and i suggest never starting a business as you don't feel advertising and branding are important and you will fail miserably.

well there's the rub, even a low end mac is still relatively good and miles better than a low end pc. i do alot of in-house contract work and any time it's been a place that runs pc's they're never highend and usually have considerable lag (not to mention crashes). i've never had that issue in a mac environment. and in every one of those situation the marketing team has been pushing for mac's, however the company won't go for it because the crappy pc is cheaper. furthermore, hardware aside, mac os is much more conducive to the adobe software. shortcuts are more intuitive, ease of going between the different programs is easier, etc..
You clearly don't know anything about Adobe products then. The shortcuts are EXACTLY the same. Not only that but they're programmable. You want to hear something funny......I originally set up my workspace and shortcuts on OSX when I was a designer at the firm I mentioned.....I import those OSX workspaces/shortcuts into all of my PC versions. So please, tell me again how the shortucts are more intuitive on OSX.

As far as performance is concerned. When Adobe made the switch to 64-bit programs PC's got that release first and absolutely crushed the Mac counterparts in performance for some time until a 64-bit version was finally released for OSX. I benchmarked both systems when evaluating workstation upgrades for my company and not only were the PC based systems running Adobe suites cheaper but they processed files minutes faster than Macs. Same tech specs, same hardware, same workflow and a vastly faster result with complex projects. That squashed any hopes my employees had of us switching to Macs.

What you are saying about OSX being more conductive to the Adobe Software used to be the case before Apple transitioned to Intel hardware in 2006 but it's not true anymore. The graphics industry now has two players in the game and they're both very evenly matched and supported on the software side.

Here's what SLR Lounge had to say when they did a performance comparison:

"Lightroom 4 performance was similar between both machines favoring the Apple MacBook Pro Retina over the ASUS G75VW-DS73 by a margin of around 10-15% due to the MBP‘s faster CPU. However, in regards to video performance, the ASUS G75VW-DS73 absolutely crushed the Apple MacBook Pro Retina by margins of 400-500%. There is no doubt that when it comes to maximizing the performance of Adobe Premiere CS6, the ASUS G75VW-DS73 is the clear winner as it has a far more powerful graphic card and read/write capabilities with its RAID 0 configured SSDs. Not bad at all for a machine that costs nearly half the price."

Edit: Conference call is over. VS's fashion event is being filmed in London today. The event is aired in the states on the 9th on CBS. Tune in if you want to see what the inferior PC's from my sister company churned out.

Last edited:

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
You clearly don't know anything about Adobe products then. The shortcuts are EXACTLY the same. Not only that but they're programmable. You want to hear something funny......I originally set up my workspace and shortcuts on OSX when I was a designer at the firm I mentioned.....I import those OSX workspaces/shortcuts into all of my PC versions. So please, tell me again how the shortucts are more intuitive on OSX.
yes, i use these programs everyday yet because i don't personalize my shortcuts i know nothing about them :rollseyes

As far as performance is concerned. When Adobe made the switch to 64-bit programs PC's got that release first and absolutely crushed the Mac counterparts in performance for some time until a 64-bit version was finally released for OSX. I benchmarked both systems when evaluating workstation upgrades for my company and not only were the PC based systems running Adobe suites cheaper but they processed files minutes faster than Macs. Same tech specs, same hardware, same workflow and a vastly faster result with complex projects. That squashed any hopes my employees had of us switching to Macs.

What you are saying about OSX being more conductive to the Adobe Software used to be the case before Apple transitioned to Intel hardware in 2006 but it's not true anymore. The graphics industry now has two players in the game and they're both very evenly matched and supported on the software side.

Here's what SLR Lounge had to say when they did a performance comparison:
"Lightroom 4 performance was similar between both machines favoring the Apple MacBook Pro Retina over the ASUS G75VW-DS73 by a margin of around 10-15% due to the MBP‘s faster CPU. However, in regards to video performance, the ASUS G75VW-DS73 absolutely crushed the Apple MacBook Pro Retina by margins of 400-500%. There is no doubt that when it comes to maximizing the performance of Adobe Premiere CS6, the ASUS G75VW-DS73 is the clear winner as it has a far more powerful graphic card and read/write capabilities with its RAID 0 configured SSDs. Not bad at all for a machine that costs nearly half the price."

that's fine. like i said, personal preference. you're obviously a pc fanboi, that's fine. i'm not trying to change your mind. for designing purposes, i prefer Mac OS. like 95% of the design world.

as i said, when i've worked in a pc environment, the companies spring for the cheap pc's because they can. so maybe when i find a company that will purchase the higher end pc's and spend money they feel they don't have to, then my mind will change.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
More people in this world drive Fords then Koenigseggs, it doesn't mean they are better cars.
sort of a dumb analogy when one produces 100x more product than the other more exclusive brand.
Let's here some examples then.

already gave you the main one. ease of going between the programs. whether it's real or just perceived. mac os just seems easier to work with.

Blown 89

Established Member
already gave you the main one. ease of going between the programs. whether it's real or just perceived. mac os just seems easier to work with.
You gave me the shortcut explanation which didn't pan out and told me that somehow Adobe programs are more conductive which didn't pan out either given that both of those examples work exactly the same on Macs and PC's. I'm interested to hear about how it's easier to go between programs because I must have missed that one. Go on, give us some examples so we're not sitting here guessing at what you meant but such a vague statement.

Blown 89

Established Member
yes, i use these programs everyday yet because i don't personalize my shortcuts i know nothing about them :rollseyes
When you say stupid things like "shortcuts are more intuitive" I'd say yea, you don't know much. Windows has shortcuts. Most people don't know that. I shortcut the hell out of windows exactly like I do on OSX. Adobe's shortcuts are literally key for key identical so yeah, when you say something that factually incorrect it raises some red flags about your knowledge level.

that's fine. like i said, personal preference. you're obviously a pc fanboi, that's fine. i'm not trying to change your mind. for designing purposes, i prefer Mac OS. like 95% of the design world.
I am a PC fan. I'll admit that. What I don't do is go around spreading nonsense about Macs. I try and keep my comments heavily grounded in fact rather than in outdated generalizations that died 20 years ago. You see a fanboi in me and I see someone who's stuck with opinions based on 20 year old stereotypes that simply aren't applicable anymore in you.

as i said, when i've worked in a pc environment, the companies spring for the cheap pc's because they can. so maybe when i find a company that will purchase the higher end pc's and spend money they feel they don't have to, then my mind will change.
You can't compare a $300 PC and a $4,000 Mac. That's where a lot of ignorance surrounding the two systems stems from. I find it funny that you don't like my Ford/Koenigsegg comparison but you have no problem comparing a low quality budget PC to a high quality expensive Mac.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
You gave me the shortcut explanation which didn't pan out and told me that somehow Adobe programs are more conductive which didn't pan out either given that both of those examples work exactly the same on Macs and PC's. I'm interested to hear about how it's easier to go between programs because I must have missed that one. Go on, give us some examples so we're not sitting here guessing at what you meant but such a vague statement.

i already stated it.

but congrats on going against the industry on this one. you're one of the brave few.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
When you say stupid things like "shortcuts are more intuitive" I'd say yea, you don't know much. Windows has shortcuts. Most people don't know that. I shortcut the hell out of windows exactly like I do on OSX. Adobe's shortcuts are literally key for key identical so yeah, when you say something that factually incorrect it raises some red flags about your knowledge level.

I am a PC fan. I'll admit that. What I don't do is go around spreading nonsense about Macs. I try and keep my comments heavily grounded in fact rather than in outdated generalizations that died 20 years ago. You see a fanboi in me and I see someone who's stuck with opinions based on 20 year old stereotypes that simply aren't applicable anymore in you.
i'm not quite sure why you keep attempting to argue with me. i'm not making a case for which is better, just which i prefer, and which 95% of the industry prefers. i don't delve into the tech side of things. just which one, for me, seems/works better.
You can't compare a $300 PC and a $4,000 Mac. That's where a lot of ignorance surrounding the two systems stems from. I find it funny that you don't like my Ford/Koenigsegg comparison but you have no problem comparing a low quality budget PC to a high quality expensive Mac.
i'm not comparing the two, i'm just telling you the reality of the corporate world that no company will spend the money on a better pc when they can buy the cheaper variants. when they go mac, the low end versions are alot better than the low end pc's.

and again, the comparison doesn't work because you're comparing an exclusive product that only a few can afford to everyday mass produced products. it's not even close to the same.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
photoshop is not a primary program most of the time. that's quite an ignorant statement. i'm not going to sit here and devalue the worth of a person who just simply takes numbers or specs and plugs them into autocad and thinks they're a designer.

and i suggest never starting a business as you don't feel advertising and branding are important and you will fail miserably.

well there's the rub, even a low end mac is still relatively good and miles better than a low end pc. i do alot of in-house contract work and any time it's been a place that runs pc's they're never highend and usually have considerable lag (not to mention crashes). i've never had that issue in a mac environment. and in every one of those situation the marketing team has been pushing for mac's, however the company won't go for it because the crappy pc is cheaper. furthermore, hardware aside, mac os is much more conducive to the adobe software. shortcuts are more intuitive, ease of going between the different programs is easier, etc..

Thats not a rub, and not even apples to apples, and thats what most dont realize is you get what you pay for.

If a company wants to continue to use $400 bargain bin pc setups, they will continue to get shit results. If they want to spend $1500-2k on either Mac or PC at that level, they will get better results. You cant compare a "Low end" $1500 mac to a $400 low end pc because its not even close, that would be like cross shopping a used civic versus a brand new M3. Of course the latter is going to have a far better experience.

And were doing fine with our advertising on PC's. Our marketing guy lols at apple/mac products. Advertising/marketing has NOTHING to do with whether or not they are using PC's or Mac's to get the job done. Trust me, I know a few that work in that field and none of which would buy a Mac for $2k when they could build a PC with twice as good specs for 3/4 the price. Then again, I dont know anyone that couldnt build their own PC so that might be why most people I know would rather go that route.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
i already stated it.
Unless I missed it all you said was, "ease of going between the different programs is easier," and I asked for an example that is less broad. My guess is that you can't provide an example so you're providing a big broad general statement to keep everyone guessing.

Once again, let's see an example of how it's easier to 'go between programs' because lord knows that doesn't many much on its own.

Blown 89

Established Member
i'm not quite sure why you keep attempting to argue with me. i'm not making a case for which is better, just which i prefer, and which 95% of the industry prefers. i don't delve into the tech side of things. just which one, for me, seems/works better.
No you didn't. Let's recap:

"it's still true. for designers, MAC>windows. everytime."

That's not your personal preference. Right there in post #45 you said Macs are better. That's not your personal preference, that's a statement on an industry. If you want to retract your industry wide statement and go with your personal preference only that's fine but when you say that Macs are better for graphic design don't be surprised when people that know better call you out on your B.S.

i'm not comparing the two, i'm just telling you the reality of the corporate world that no company will spend the money on a better pc when they can buy the cheaper variants. when they go mac, the low end versions are alot better than the low end pc's.
Really? I'll quote SLR Lounge again since you chose to ignore that:

"Here's what SLR Lounge had to say when they did a performance comparison:

"Lightroom 4 performance was similar between both machines favoring the Apple MacBook Pro Retina over the ASUS G75VW-DS73 by a margin of around 10-15% due to the MBP‘s faster CPU. However, in regards to video performance, the ASUS G75VW-DS73 absolutely crushed the Apple MacBook Pro Retina by margins of 400-500%. There is no doubt that when it comes to maximizing the performance of Adobe Premiere CS6, the ASUS G75VW-DS73 is the clear winner as it has a far more powerful graphic card and read/write capabilities with its RAID 0 configured SSDs. Not bad at all for a machine that costs nearly half the price.""

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Unless I missed it all you said was, "ease of going between the different programs is easier," and I asked for an example that is less broad. My guess is that you can't provide an example so you're providing a big broad general statement to keep everyone guessing.

Once again, let's see an example of how it's easier to 'go between programs' because lord knows that doesn't many much on its own.

here's a quick article that's basically what i'm attempting to get at yet failing to communicate:

http://artbistro.monster.com/benefits/articles/11978-mac-or-pc-the-better-choice-for-designers
here angry windows fanboi.

and another:

http://graphicdesign.about.com/od/computersandhardware/a/mac_vs_pc.htm

and another:

http://lifehacker.com/mac-vs-windows-your-best-arguments-486125257

you'll see a common link which i've already stated, which is all of these articles refer to the mac as having a more user friendly interface and better integration amongst programs. you 'll even notice in one they mention the better usability of mac shortcuts. but what do i know.

but as has been stated, 95% of the industry agrees with me, so teh windows fanboi gets upset.

Users who are viewing this thread