Mach 1 vs. 04 GTO (Comparison)

MattP 343

Established Member
Hello Everyone-I am currently in the market for a new car (My DD) and I am contemplating getting an 03 Mach 1 or an 04 GTO. I am not asking which car you would rather drive because I realize this is a Mustang site, I am asking for the pure facts: everything from insurance rates, gas mileage, horse power, etc.

There are certain things that I like about both cars. I love the overall stance/appearance of the Mach, plus the DOHC Aluminum engine with solid axle. I love the overal interior of the GTO, and also the 6spd with LS1 and LS6 intake.

How do the vehicles compare speed wise. I know the Mach 1s are LOW 13 second cars and can see 12s with very few mods, but how fast are the GTOs. I've seen everything from LOW 13s with a couple bolt ons to high 13s stock.

Anyways, Thanks for your time. :thumbsup:

Grenade

Banned
Both cars are very close in performance. Gto is rated at 350hp, But it is heavier. The Mach1 is underrated at 310. closer to 325 actually. Comes down to personal taste. When I drive my Mach, people stare. Ask anyone that owns a Mach1, It turnes heads. The gto is a bit plain, and frankly a little homely. Nice driveline, but the body was a mistake. You won't regret getting a Mach1. Of course I am biased. I love Fords.

Outlaw

Terminated
Established Member
Car's are very close, the mach is a little Faster (MM&FF issuse) but not much really it's just a driver's race.

The shaker alone is worth it. i love watching it and people alway's ask about it.

slow02GT

Get the Mach 1 it just has that look....I test drove once before and it was such a badass car....the GTO is just plain..and looks like a cavalier on steroids.
They are both pretty close in performance

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I agree with everyone on here so far. The cars are pretty evenly matched bone stock. My friend has owned both and liked the MACH better. The GTO is a great car with a very nice interior and good motor. GM should have done more with the outer appearance of the car. When a GTO is moded it can become a beast, but a moded MACH can be just as nasty. I definately get asked questions about the car everywhere I go. If you plan keeping a MACH it's going to be worth something one day since they were only made for two years in a limited production run.

Last edited:

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member

It really comes down to looks and personal preferrence. Stock for stock they are similar performers.

Take a nose on look at a GTO and a Mach 1. There's no decision to make. :)

15004gto3-med.jpg

M1-HeadOn.jpg

Good luck, and enjoy whatever you drive. :)

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member
OrangeMach23 said:
Use the FORCE and don't go to the dark side. Here are some pictures of my buddy Alan's 04 DSG Mach.

alanbw4mx.jpg

roll7mn.jpg

alan2wn.jpg

Man, I love those runnin' lights. I know it's been posted before but remind me again where you got 'em. ;-)

MattP 343

Established Member
yeh I think I made my decision to go looking for a mach...there is a red 04 in college station that Im going to try and look at in the next week. The GTO is still my back up plan though.

slow02GT

No way dude the GTO should not be a backup plan..just wait until you found the right mach :-D

ScottsMach03

Established Member
As far as performance go's, there pretty close to being the same. I hear the gto does have a better interior. The drive train is badass, but the looks could do better. The mach1 of course, one its considered to be a collector, has the right combo, hp to weight ratio. I enjoy my interior. Its one of the stoutest stock n/a 4.6's out there.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
This is a nice kit for a GTO. This is what I would make mine look like if I owned one. Except for the way the pipes come out in the back. :banana:

gto2.jpg

gto.jpg

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
ZincDude said:
You could not pay me to drive an 04 GTO. They really do look like ass. :banana:

Yeah I think they messed up when they went with that whole Australian design of the car. I think they would have been better off doing a "retro" GTO.

Delos04 Mach

Established Member
I've had a Mach 1 now for 2 years and I did catch myself looking at the GTO....ONCE. I like the interior and the motor that's in the GTO, but couldn't get over how fugly they were on the outside. The car doesn't even deserve the name GTO. Get the Mach 1!!!

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Delos04 Mach said:
I've had a Mach 1 now for 2 years and I did catch myself looking at the GTO....ONCE. I like the interior and the motor that's in the GTO, but couldn't get over how fugly they were on the outside. The car doesn't even deserve the name GTO. Get the Mach 1!!!
Thats great and all but when are ya putting in the NX. :poke: I'm not too far behind. :-D

Delos04 Mach

Established Member
ZincDude said:
Thats great and all but when are ya putting in the NX. :poke: I'm not too far behind. :-D
It's almost done. We only work on the car once a week, so it's taking a little longer. :kaboom: Plus we are taking our time and doing a VERY clean install, you can't see any of the wires and the solenoids are hidden under the shaker. It should be done by mid April......I hope!!!!

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Delos04 Mach said:
It's almost done. We only work on the car once a week, so it's taking a little longer. :kaboom: Plus we are taking our time and doing a VERY clean install, you can't see any of the wires and the solenoids are hidden under the shaker. It should be done by mid April......I hope!!!!
Cool I can't wait to see some pics. :beer: I should have my kit by next week. :banana: Ryan rules. :bowdown:

METALBEAST

Best of Both Worlds
Established Member
I've ran a couple of stockish 04 GTOs at the track. They trapped almost identical to what I was trapping everytime (100-101 MPH). My Cobra is stock. Most Machs in my area trap 103-104 stock. Performance edge goes to the Mach IMHO.

cobra429JetT

Sweet Sixer Ford Rep
Established Member
OrangeMach23 said:
This is a nice kit for a GTO. This is what I would make mine look like if I owned one. Except for the way the pipes come out in the back. :banana:

gto2.jpg

gto.jpg

WOW!
Seriously that is probably the worst exhaust setup EVER.

The GTO makes up for the plain ness of its design with pure power. The power and tranny is absolutely fantastic.

The interior on the GTO is the winner here, but the exterior on the mach just kills the GTO.

Users who are viewing this thread