mach 1 w/p1sc loosing boost

96svtblack

Established Member
hey guys just wanted to throw this up here and see if you guys had any ideas. so we took my friends mach 1 to eric @ brookspeed and the car would only make 6lbs of boost. my friend says the car was making 7-8lbs before we built the engine and lowered the compression and added some frpp shorty headers. the car had a 3.90" pulley originally and we went down to a 3.60" looking for 9-10 lbs of boost but we weren't even close. the car made peak boost at around 5500 rpms and after that it dropped of to around 5lbs and power dropped off as well. peak power was 395hp and 420 tq which i think is pretty good for the amount of boost it made but not where he wants the car to be, while there we checked that the bypass valve was shutting all the way once the car made boost and we checked all couplings and clamps. we also put a smoke machine on the car and could not find any leaks at all, we know the belt did slip some but were not sure how much it affected the boost level. we made 5 pulls with the car to 7k and every pull looked identical as far as the dyno curve and were within a few hp or each other . eric did a great job on the car and it runs great but we need to get the boost up to 10lbs for my friend. he is going to order a 15% overdrive balancer and were going to put a thump rr tensioner on it and see if that fixes the problem eric said we were probably just not spinning the blower hard enough, what do you guys think?

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Well boost is an equation of (for simple terms) force and resistance. When your friend lowered the compression and added freer flowing headers he lowered the resistance of the motor which is most likely why he was seeing 6lbs instead of 8. Secondly belt slip is a nasty little thing so the tensioner will hopefully help... if not get a new belt and try that and if that still doesnt help there is a company that puts a gritty coating on pulleys and its seems to work great for people. Although i cant remember what the name of the company was. Also what did your friend lower his compression to?

96svtblack

Established Member
hey yeah we figured the mods would lower the boost a few points but were missing about 5lbs somewhere the pulley setup should have been good for 10 and were seeing only 6 until 5500 then back down to 5 but yeah were going to go ahead and get the larger crank pulley for it and new belt and tensioner then run it back up to eric and give it another go, also the compression was lowered to 9.3:1 using 11cc dish manley pistons also we did a little cleanup on the bowls but nothing major but thx for the imput ill let you know what turns up.

01yellercobra

Established Member
there is a company that puts a gritty coating on pulleys and its seems to work great for people. Although i cant remember what the name of the company was.

Carbinite Racing is the company. I'm selling a 3.4" pulley with the coating on it.

Funhog

Established Member
How much for the pulley and is it 6 or 8 rib? I'm the guy with the mach 1 that he is talking about.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What kind of MAF do you have? Is it a 90MM LMAF? If so, there's a bolt on adapter so you can hook up tubing to the other side of it.

That area is prone to leakage because the gasket doesn't have a very good surface to mate to. It'll always blow out gaskets.

I was losing boost and I had no idea why.. until I cleaned out my MAF and noticed the gaping hole where the gasket should have been.

It was causing poor driveability, low boost, all sorts of problems.

I just took a tube of JB weld and filled in the entire thing.

I gained about 3-4 LBS of boost from what I had before...

It's worth it just to check it.. The worst thing that could happen is that your gasket is intact, and you can clean the MAF while you've got it apart!

Geartech

Established Member
What type of blower? and size. Is it possible that the blower is running out of Flow for the motor? Just a thought but it doesn't seem likely with the power being made.
Good Idea with the MAF housing. I'll have to check mine just to make sure it's intact before I start upping the boost on the Cobra

crazycarlo

Established Member
What type of blower? and size. Is it possible that the blower is running out of Flow for the motor? Just a thought but it doesn't seem likely with the power being made.
Good Idea with the MAF housing. I'll have to check mine just to make sure it's intact before I start upping the boost on the Cobra

title says procharger p1sc

Users who are viewing this thread