Mach 1 with a 5.4L?

chassebr

Established Member
The new car and driver magazine said the Mach 1 has a 5.4L. lol. They also said "it has a tiny trunk, hard to read gauges, cast iron block which is a step back, and ugly wheels". They got it to go 13.8 sec @ 102.5 mph in the quarter mile. Are they just a bit special?

coleman

Established Member
according to www.ford.com: "32-valve 4.6L DOHC V8 engine"...

chassebr, go buy one! ... and trade in that thing in your avatar's background... :lol1:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Car and Driver is out of its mind... The Mach1 is a 32 Valve 4.6, Aluminum block with a forged steel crank (in the 5-speed). with 305 horse and 320 lbs of torque. Stangnet said when there testers had a go at it that the stock 5-speed pulled in a 13.4@104mph on a 90 degree day... supposidly with drag raidials it pulled in a 12.97@105mph (5-speed). I dont think its too shabby a car... I dont know what Car "Car and Driver" tested but it was deffinatly not the Mach1.

chassebr

Established Member
No, I'm serious. It was the Mach 1 and they said it was a 5.4L 32 Valve with an iron block. Then they go and say its the exact same motor as the 03 cobra except without a supercharger.

03CobraBro

Established Member
No I beleive you. I was just saying I think car and driver is out of there minds if thats truely what they said... Man though, if they actually did offer the Mach1 with the DOHC 5.4(like the Cobra R had) I would have had a hard time deciding.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by chassebr
No, I'm serious. It was the Mach 1 and they said it was a 5.4L 32 Valve with an iron block. Then they go and say its the exact same motor as the 03 cobra except without a supercharger.
Exactly why I would say they were smoking crack!

If I had a stock 5.4LDOHC supercharged engine in my 2003 Cobra I'd be going a hell of a lot faster than I am now and smoking everything.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Car and Driver sucks!!!! Always pro-BMW because of advertising money. They do not like domestics either and can take it that a mustang can beat a Nissan 350zx. That is why they ran the Mach 1 instead of the Cobra in the test.

cubes

Established Member
The new car and driver magazine said the Mach 1 has a 5.4L. lol. They also said "it has a tiny trunk, hard to read gauges, cast iron block which is a step back, and ugly wheels". They got it to go 13.8 sec @ 102.5 mph in the quarter mile. Are they just a bit special?
What month/issue?

ObieFox

Established Member
Motor trend also reported that the new Mach 1 had and iron block. They made the same claim that it was the 03 cobra motor without the SC. You would think Ford would make sure that these magazines had the correct information on their products!

KO

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Dude, I think you read that in the Dec issue of Motor Trend...
read it again, it says a 5.4L DOHC CAM for the intake
and it does have a aluminum block(even though Car and Driver says iron)
the writers for both mags are not up on American muscle(they love their rice)

david smilovic

Established Member
Sean Hyland just did a late model test for Road&Track,I hope this is no secret but he told me with a 99'+???? with a stock 5.4 he pulled mid 10's.If my brain cell serves me right it was a 10:48.
Lighter car? Tires? ask Sean.Dave S.
PS Article due out in about 6 Months should be good,Sean said all were impressed!!!

cubes

Established Member

I hate when magazines show incorrect facts, and agree that their mistakes should be posted. However if you are going to post errors give the source. It is not fair to post something that is just rumor.
Car and Driver magazine, December 2002,
Page 52, in the vital statistics chart
engine box "DOHC 32-valve V-8, 281 cu in (4601cc), aluminum block and heads "

Same issue, page 54,
"The shaker doesn't shake very much, to be sure. The Mach 1's DOHC 32-valve 4.6-liter V-8 is many times smoother than the cammed-up thumpers that used to bear such things."

Car and Driver seems to be right. You should have your facts straight before you post something.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by ObieFox
Motor trend also reported that the new Mach 1 had and iron block. They made the same claim that it was the 03 cobra motor without the SC. You would think Ford would make sure that these magazines had the correct information on their products!

KO

They do - it is called a Press Kit - but Ford cannot make sure the Editors read it, let alone understand it - and neither do they get copies of the galley sheets prior to publication - i know _ I have to write copy each month for two publications, and we do not share it with the companies whose products we review. We may call to clarify a point, but that is a writer to mfr thing, not the other way around. An Editor would not like it if Ford called and said "now make sure you understand what the block material is, and the displacement is 4.6, not 5.5L, and.....". Course in this case it would have helped on the accuracy scale. C'est la vie.

Mfrs also spend a lot on press websites - such as Media Ford - BMW has the best one - i love going in there.

Maybe the car companies should have well oiled hot babes to lure in the car Editors - or in the case of C&D, well oiled hot boys.

tammy

Established Member
Just thought I'd post if anyone cares, that the first Mach1 I know about was delivered on Friday 11-22 to a very happy person.:) After all the long waits some over 8 months they are finally getting those cars. And BTW, everything :lol: is correct. Don't believe everything you read. These guys are so tickled over there cars. As for me I don't regret jumping ship for the Cobra for a second. I hope whoever ends up with the car I ordered loves it.

Users who are viewing this thread