Mach 460 P.O.S.

ZXnVS

Established Member
I'm posting this question in desperation. Those of you with good memories may recall my post a month ago about the CD player not loading in my brand new Cobra. After a huge fiasco I won't reiterate, I got a "remanufactured" Mach 460 (that's Ford's policy) with a working CD player. Today it just went completely dead--the lights are on, but there's absolutely no sound in radio or CD mode. The "mute" is not on, and I've tried turning it on and off and a bunch of other things.

So here's the question: do I let some inept mechanic put another *@#$! remanufactured stereo in, or just buy a good aftermarket unit from Crutchfield and be done with it? I'd go with the latter in a heartbeat, but there's a complication: you need some special harness to use the stock amps, and I've heard a hundred conflicting stories on whether they work worth a damn or not. Has anyone junked the 460 from their Cobra (or a previous Stang)? How was your luck?

92LX5.0

Established Member
thats a tuff one dude, I would get an after market unit. But those pricks shouldnt get away with it either :shrug:

Hammer

Established Member
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Mach 460. That stereo is the one thing in the car that didn't impress me at all. Mine works fine and I think it's a POS.

So I've been looking into aftermarket car stereo equipment. But I can't find a good aftermarket double-din head unit. I want a stereo that fits the stock opening (which is double-din). But there is almost none available.

The only one I saw that I would consider is the Eclipse 7301 but that's only a single CD with cassette. But it's got GPS capabilities.

So I'm still looking. I can't find a single after-market double-din in-dash cd loader like our stock one is. But I want better sound!!!

ZXnVS

Established Member
Somewhere (I can't remember where 'cause I've searched so many sites trying to find info on this) I read that the Mach 460 is NOT a double DIN unit, although it is very close. I think if you go with an aftermarket head you're going to have to go DIN and find something else to do with the extra space.

I just left Scosche Industries web site (scosche.com) and they have an adapter that takes a standard DIN unit and has a CD pocket to utilize the extra space. I may have to go with that. They supposedly have the wiring adapter, too, but it doesn't look like what I've got, and they give absolutely no info about it whatsoever.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
Somewhere (I can't remember where 'cause I've searched so many sites trying to find info on this) I read that the Mach 460 is NOT a double DIN unit, although it is very close. I think if you go with an aftermarket head you're going to have to go DIN and find something else to do with the extra space.

I just left Scosche Industries web site (scosche.com) and they have an adapter that takes a standard DIN unit and has a CD pocket to utilize the extra space. I may have to go with that. They supposedly have the wiring adapter, too, but it doesn't look like what I've got, and they give absolutely no info about it whatsoever.

I am pretty sure that our unit is a double-din. Check out this site: www.mobiletoys.com. Fill in the vehicle profile but use 02 Mustang coupe. It's the same as ours.

Those adapters to convert double din to single din are pretty common. But I don't like them - they look really cheezy.

Let me know if you find anything.

Last edited:

CWCobra

Established Member
I happen to like the Mach in my '03 Cobra...but what do I know. I'm just another old geezer.
CW

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
I happen to like the Mach in my '03 Cobra...but what do I know. I'm just another old geezer.
CW

Yeah, it's not terrible. But I am a car stereo buff from WAY back (gettin to be an old geezer myself).

I have done car stereos with high-end amps and Boston Acoustic Pro component pieces in the doors.

Forget LOUD stereos...I don't care about that. But once you've heard those Boston Pro's driven by a descent amp...you will just never be satisfied with anything else!!

But now the hot speaker setup is the FOCAL pieces - their Utopia line. Man, I sampled them in a sound room...they are UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Check out this link: http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/utopia/index.htm

Focal makes even the Boston's sound like K-Mart. It's the best you can buy...period.

I just can't see having one of the hottest vehicles on the road without having a hot soundsystem in it.

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
ZXnVS ,

I feel your pain. There is nothing worse than a new vehicle with problems. I have a 96 with the stock 460 save the replacement Alpine head unit. You cannot go wrong with Alpine. The head unit really brought the stock system to life. If you have the money go with this unit..http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com:777...7998&p_category=10&p_subcategory=20&p_main=10

Hammer is right about the double din. I did not have this problem with the 96, but hopefully I will in about 2 months. The link above show that the face of the unit flips out when it is active. This might compensate for the large space. If not, you can always go with an EQ to fill the gap. This is what I am looking into for my 03. Let us know what you come up with.

There was no need for an adapter as I remeber, but I could be wrong.

Good Luck

amermuscle

Established Member
Why can't you replace the stock Mach 460 with the mach 1000? I do not know anything about the mach 1000, but shouldn't it fit in as well? Or does the sound still suck in the mach 1000?

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by amermuscle
Why can't you replace the stock Mach 460 with the mach 1000? I do not know anything about the mach 1000, but shouldn't it fit in as well? Or does the sound still suck in the mach 1000?

It's not that it sucks but it's not good either. The Mach 1000 is just more amps and more power. It's the same system with the same sound.

Don't get me wrong, the stock stereos in the Cobras are way up there in the stock radio department...one of the best systems available. But that's stock radios.

Get a good amp (or two) and good speakers...and it's the difference between your computer speakers and your home theatre in the living room. HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference between stock car stereos and aftermarket.

What's good about our cars is that they have good stock speaker locations. You can upgrade bigtime without hacking up anything. You can put 8" mids in the doors and their is a stock enclosure there for them. I am going to do a bi-amplification system...one amp for tweeters and rear fill and one for 8" mids and sub.

I think I am going to leave the stock head unit and do speakers and amps. I like the Mach head unit very much...and I just can't find a 6-disc double-din head unit!!!

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by SnkEyes
Hammer,

What does a focal setup run? Will 6.5's work all the way around?

The Focal's (pronounced Foe-Kal) are EXPENSIVE!! If you go to a local Focal dealer, they will RAPE you. Here's a link to get them as cheap as I have seen anywhere:

http://www.speakersound.com/

While they are expensive as all hell, you get what you pay for. I am a music fiend and have a $15,000 home theater system. I listened to the 7" Focal component system powered by a small SoundStream amp and...it was nothing short of stunning! It sounded damn near as good as my home setup. And, believe me, with small speakers and the terrible acoustics in a vehicle..that's saying a lot!

Yes, 6.5" fit fine in our doors but the 7" components fit as well. The small speakers up on the mirrors should be simply disabled. They kill sound imaging. A good set of component speakers in the doors and a modest amp is all you need for unbelievable sound. You can even leave the stock rear fills intact. What counts is what's up front.

Also check out the Kicker Resolution line: http://www.kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?filename=kickres.html&menu=MIDTWEET

They are a fraction of the cost and still LIGHT YEARS better than our stock systems. Same as with Focal, you can put a Kicker Resolution 8" in the door with a Resolution tweeter. Put a 4-channel amp on it with the stock head unit and....audiophile here we come.

lethal

Established Member
Does anyone have any detail on the Mach 460 system? I'm interested in if it has any line level inputs, expernal amps, etc.

For instance, if one wanted to add a amp and woofers in the trunk for more low end... is there a place to tap off the stereo (without using the hi level inputs). Or, if one wanted to replace the head unit would a stock wiring harnass work?

Just kinda wondering how it is all packaged.

Any help would be great.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I agree with SnkEyes, I have this Alpine unit in my E150 van

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com:777...7894&p_category=10&p_subcategory=20&p_main=10

with a five channel Alpine amp, 12 inch sub and component Polk Audio speakers.

The wife's Mach 460 in her GT sounds pretty weak in comparrison.

I heard the Mach 1000 System just added another amp and a sub in the trunk.

For me though, I'll be happy listening to the pipes with the top down, if I ever get the damn thing! :gt:

I'll drive the family truckster if I want tunes on the road.

-B

03DOHC

Established Member
Why are you blaming the quality of your unit to an inept mechanic? All he does is insert two U shaped tools into the head unit, pull it out, disconnect 3 or so plugs and turn it in to the parts dept.

Then it will be sent to an authorized repair facility, ours was local, I don't know about yours, and then fixed or exchanged.

Not all Ford Mechanics are retarded, I wuz won be4 i lernned two shpeel, J/K.

The 460 is a good enough stereo for me. I would keep the Mach460 and buy GO FAST PART'S instead!:burnout:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Why are you blaming the quality of your unit to an inept mechanic? All he does is insert two U shaped tools into the head unit, pull it out, disconnect 3 or so plugs and turn it in to the parts dept.

Then it will be sent to an authorized repair facility, ours was local, I don't know about yours, and then fixed or exchanged.

The 460 is a good enough stereo for me. I would keep the Mach460 and buy GO FAST PART'S instead!:burnout:

I'm with you on this one.. MUCH rather have go fast goodies than an aftermarket stereo..

Blackgeetee

Established Member
My Mach 460 crapped out too last year. The CD player just stopped reading CD's but would still play the radio. So I just replaced it with a nice Alpine. The sound quality GREATLY improved.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Why are you blaming the quality of your unit to an inept mechanic?

I think you need to re-read my original post. I'm not blaming the quality of the unit on the mechanic. The car is brand new and I'm already on my second broken stereo, that's why I'm calling it a piece of sh_t. The mechanic I took it to the first time is a moron because he dinged up my dashboard taking the unit out.

I didn't say all Ford mechanics are inept, either. But I'm not about to let anyone touch my car if I don't absolutely have to, because 99.9% of them don't give a flying f__k about my Cobra because it's not their car! Why should they care? Why should they do a good job? Most won't.

Users who are viewing this thread