Mach vs 95 5.0

Mach Boy

Established Member
I was on my way home from work this afternoon and saw a blue SN95 up in the distance. A few miles later I catch up to find out that it is a 5.0 Cobra. I haven't had a roll race since I had my T56 installed a few months ago. I see gauges and think he's got a supercharger, here we go. I downshift to 3rd and we start slowing down from 70. He matches speeds and starts to honk. I hear the first one, look at my speed 50, then RPMs and think shit I should be in 2nd and then I hear honk three. He jumps out a car almost instantly when we hit the gas.

All through third, which felt like an eternity, I'm mentally giving myself a facepalm. Once I start hitting my the meat of powerband I'm a car and a fender back. I reeled him back in to a car when I shifted to 4th at 7,000 RPMs. I lost a little bit of distance on the shift, but not much. Under 2 seconds into 4th, probably around 100, we let off. We exchanged thumbs up and took the next exit both going opposite directions.

I've been beating myself up all afternoon for not knowing my RPM and wondering what that race would have been like if I had chosen the right gear. I didn't hear a S/C whine so he could have been N/A for all I know. But it sure was nice to have a run before winter sets in.

ttadriver

Established Member
I don't think they made blue 5.0 cobras from 94-95. I think they made a blue 4.6 SN95 cobra. Too bad you started in the wrong gear. Hopefully you will come across that guy again and redeem yourself

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
That sucks! My first reaction when I think I'm gonna get a race is check what gear I'm in. But hell everyone has one of those moments!

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
yeah that had to be a 4.6 with bolt on's... no 5.0 cobra exists from the factory in blue color.... but never the less, we live to fight another day :beer:

Mach Boy

Established Member
It had 5.0 tails. The paint was very clean. Could have been repainted.

Or he had a Cobra bumper put on.

Last edited:

Mach Boy

Established Member
looks like you have a nice set up according to your sig! good race!
Thanks

That sucks! My first reaction when I think I'm gonna get a race is check what gear I'm in. But hell everyone has one of those moments!
We were going 70 so 3rd gear would have been perfect at that speed, but by the time we matched up I had slowed down and it was too late to downshift.

yeah that had to be a 4.6 with bolt on's... no 5.0 cobra exists from the factory in blue color.... but never the less, we live to fight another day :beer:
I've given a car length advantage to a bolt-on/geared SOHC 4.6 before and came back no problem. I have an 80 HP advantage over a full bolt-on 4.6. I'm guessing it was a S/C 5.0 on low boost or a variation of a H/C/I 5.0. I was creeping back on the guy but not nearly as hard as I would have liked.
If I would have left in the right gear it would have been a very close run.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Ya I totally know what you are talking about. When I had a t56 in my 04 mach it sucked. Super tall gears. Its not a good tranny for an N/A mach and if you are in the wrong gear then forget it. You could get pulled by a school bus.

Mach Boy

Established Member
Ya I totally know what you are talking about. When I had a t56 in my 04 mach it sucked. Super tall gears. Its not a good tranny for an N/A mach and if you are in the wrong gear then forget it. You could get pulled by a school bus.

Yeah I thought that the 3650 and T56 2nd gear were the same. In the 3650 that would have been too far into 2nd and I knew that, but I didn't know that 2nd gear is different in the two trannies.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Yeah I thought that the 3650 and T56 2nd gear were the same. In the 3650 that would have been too far into 2nd and I knew that, but I didn't know that 2nd gear is different in the two trannies.

Yep.......I raced an 00 z28 from a 60 roll twice. The first run I started in 3rd and he beat me by two cars. 2nd run I wised up and put it in 2nd and I beat him by a car and ahalf. Makes all the difference to be in the right gear. Especially with that tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread