MAF + Rain = Tow Truck

S2-Raw

Established Member
I did a search but found nothing.

Lately it's been raining pretty hard. I noticed my car sputter a couple times during hard rain since my Air filter and MAF are inches off the ground, right behind the fog light hole in the front bumper. But I usually only drive around town and make short/quick stops so I just brushed it off as I only experienced the bog a couple times.

Last night I was on the HWY in Heavy Rain and my car bogged so hard it fell flat on it's face. To the point where I couldn't give my car any throttle, than it just died and didn't want to fire back up.

I ran outside, stuck my hand in the fender well and wiped down the MAF and Air Filter as best as I could with my T-Shirt. The MAF was saturated in water. I got back into the car and stared to crank it. It was hesitant at first but finally got stared back up. I made it about a half mile down the road to the closets gas station and the car bogged, sputtered then died again as I rolled in.

I got back out, wiped down the MAF again and gave the air filter a chance to dry somewhat. I cranked it again and it finally started up. Needless to say, I believe my MAF and air filter are both getting drenched in water and causing the car to bog, sputter then die. Has anyone else ever experienced this or know of a way to resolve this.? Is there something I can wrap around my MAF or air filter to cover and prevent it from being exposed to rain?

My car has a Novi 100 Paxton Supercharger and cold air intake with a 90mm Lightning MAF.

Any help, tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Leo

01-9.jpg

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member
Next time (if it happens), unplug your mass air meter and you can drive the car home.

Slowbra01

Established Member
i had a s/c 98 cobra prior to the 01 i currently own. One time, while i was running hard, the car stalled, would fire up and then die. Cause: the connectors to the MAF came loose. Disconnecting the MAF in my experience would render the car undriveable.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's not as simple as unplugging the MAF. Without the MAF signal the computer puts the car in to a limp mode. It should run. Very poorly, but it should get you home.

S2-Raw

Established Member
Interesting, I've always belived the car would not even start without a MAF. Anyone else have input on this?

Also is it safe to ditch the PCV valve/hose and run a breather? Will I come across any issues in doing this? I really wanna mod my intake so that my MAF and air filter are located inside the engine bay rather than the fender well.

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member
It is that simple.

The car will revert to a conditon called "load with failed MAF". In stock form, it is used when MAF A/D counts (voltage) falls below 50 or above 980. Those familiar with 86-88 Mustangs know this as "speed density".

If your car is not using the stock MAF (or stock MAF transfer function), your "load with failed MAF" table should be properly populated by your tuner. The table provides a calculated engine load based upon throttle position vs. RPM. The EEC then uses the calucated load for fuel and spark assignment.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
S2-Raw said:
Interesting, I've always belived the car would not even start without a MAF. Anyone else have input on this?

there is no "input" to give...it's just as steve and torch10th said...if you unplug the maf, it will run, granted with LOTS of fuel (super rich) and NO timing (no power)...but it will get you where you need to go for the moment...

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you running without the inner fender liners? I'm assuming the MAF was soaked around the connecter. Check the condition of the plug. I believe there is a rubber seal to keep out moisture. You might want to make sure that it's still in good shape. And it might not be a bad idea to coat the pins with some dielectric grease.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
At least in my car the JLT intake puts the filter only slightly (maybe an inch) lower than the factory snorkle in the fender well.

Not that I care. The only time my car gets wet is when I give her a bath.

CobraRookie

Established Member
Maf

I forgot to plug the MAF in after cleaning the filter today and it would run but not very well. It was coughing and sputtering and then I rememebered to plug it in. Then it was ok.
Don

lizardbreath

Banned
Slowbra01 said:
i had a s/c 98 cobra prior to the 01 i currently own. One time, while i was running hard, the car stalled, would fire up and then die. Cause: the connectors to the MAF came loose. Disconnecting the MAF in my experience would render the car undriveable.

You can drive it but it will be really puny. I didn't connect it once on accident and it felt like I was driving with a 4-banger. Needless to say it got me to work :)

01vert

Established Member
How about one of the outer filters they have for jetskis and such for the rain? I know they have some sort of outer filter on watersports machines.

S2-Raw

Established Member
quick01snake said:
there is no "input" to give...it's just as steve and torch10th said...if you unplug the maf, it will run, granted with LOTS of fuel (super rich) and NO timing (no power)...but it will get you where you need to go for the moment...

My car is supercharged and has an Aftermarket chip. The car will NOT start with the maf disconnected.

slo984now said:
Are you running without the inner fender liners? I'm assuming the MAF was soaked around the connecter.

Yes, at the moment I have no passenger side fender liner. I believe this is what causing my maf to get soaked. I've never had an issue in the rain until my fender liner was removed. I will pick a new one up from Ford asap. They are in stock for about $40.

01vert said:
How about one of the outer filters they have for jetskis and such for the rain? I know they have some sort of outer filter on watersports machines.

They are called "Outter Wears" and they slip over your K&N as an added rain repellent. I just put mine on less than one week ago and while it keeps minor dust and grime off my filter, it is not rain repellent enough to keep all the water out. After one long drive in the rain, I took my air filter off and the inside of my intake was moist/damp. So water was going through my Outter Wear, through my K&N and getting light mist on my MAF.

I believe my solution will be to purchase that inner fender liner to keep all that water from soaking my air filter/maf.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Leo

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
story time.

i ran my car up to my tuner to get a dyno tune about a year ago after i put my blower on.
it was pouring down rain. I have a power pipe also. or cold air pipe, what ever you want to call it.
i didnt get on the car at all in the rain on the way there. i dont think i got it over 3000 rpms for the whole 20 some mile trip.

actuall this is the second time i brought it to him after the blower install.( the first time i pegged the stock procharger meter)

now this time i have the lighting 90 meter. get it on the dyno for the first run and the meter pegged right when he went to full throttle....so im cussing right away and he is scratching his head. we let it cool down for about 10 mins as we are looking over everything.
2nd pull, it goes crazy lean at about 4 grand.
at this point im getting pissed cause im wasting money on dumb stuff and i was about to drop like 400 on some crazy nice meter he had in his show case.
when he deciides to pull my L meter off and clean it.
turns out there was some water in the meter , he blows it all out and we go for run #3 the meter still pegged but not till 5500 this time.
finally after a couple more runs he got all the water out of it and all was well.

so the moral of the story is water in your mass air meter equals very lean or blown motor.
even if you were to start your car up after a day of driving in the rain the day before you may still be lean till you pull enough air through it to get everylast drop out of the meter and filter.
fyi my car idled and the afr was all good at idle and partial throttle. it was just when he went to full throttle and the started to pull some of the water through the air filter into the meter.

sorry so long

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

03Steve said:
Next time (if it happens), unplug your mass air meter and you can drive the car home.
i would be careful doing that if it were me, remember in heavy rain that intake could suck up enough water to hydrolock the engine, I just rebuilt a 2001 cobra motor for a guy with an intake like that driving in the rain

Users who are viewing this thread