Magic words to get MSRP???

Ban One

Established Member
Ran a recent national search on Cars.com, found approx. 8 New 13 GT 500 Verts. for sale in the US. Called every Dealer, no-one was willing to get anywhere near Msrp. Allocation is a huge issue here in S. Ca. to order one, along with pricing.... Last Saturday, a New GT 500 Vert. parked next to me at Cars/Coffee. He bought it in N. Car. and had it shipped to S. Ca. Beautiful car, I need one....

That's what I had been doing, just calling every dealer on cars.com, autonation and eBay. Found it to be much tougher finding one on the ground vs. ordering at a decent price. Just cant justify the adm, it's the most expensive 50ft you can drive a car because as soon as your off the lot the adm $$$ is gone.

jbs$

Established Member
As in any other negotiation, be able to say no without pissing everyone off, be willing to stand up shake the salemans hand and leave. Do not go in to buy a car, go in to get a good deal - that is a very different attitude. As others have said, if you have a trade or need financing, do not discuss these items untill you have settled on the price of the car.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
assuming the vehicle is in dealer stock, all i would have to say is "i will buy this car today at msrp", and i guarantee i would be driving that car out of the dealership that day. there is no magic to it. they are making plenty of money at msrp. no one in their right mind would EVER pay one penny over msrp for a production vehicle.

edit: of course, that is only if you CAN actually afford to purchase it, and are a serious buyer lol

Last edited:

stangposse

Established Member
It might work for some...but if your calling from 1500 miles away, it spells desperation in most cases.

A few weeks ago I made about a dozen calls, nobody wanted to talk MSRP even with funds ready to be wired on the spot for a cash deal. I was willing to send wire credentials and proof of funds immediately and nobody budged on an MSRP deal. The last five calls I was offering $2k above MSRP..... no takers. I had one guy in Atlanta, who had a superman vert who verbally approved the sale at $3500 above MSRP....but I'm not sure i want one of these in a vert. it would be my daily...in the northeast!!

I thought at least one of them would call my bluff, none of them did. And I left my number with 6 dealers and none have even called me back after a few weeks.

On another note......Is it true that the dealers can see what these cars are selling for nationwide? i was told by one manager that the average sale is $4k over sticker and less than 3% are going for MSRP. I called BS but one of the salesman assured me it was true. Maybe a dealer can chime in on this.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
As in any other negotiation, be able to say no without pissing everyone off, be willing to stand up shake the salemans hand and leave. Do not go in to buy a car, go in to get a good deal - that is a very different attitude. As others have said, if you have a trade or need financing, do not discuss these items untill you have settled on the price of the car.

Absolutely agree! Except I deal only with the sales manager. If the terms are not acceptable I ask for a card and write my number on the back, then I return it to him and say, "give me a call if you change your mind." Shake hands and leave. I've had them stop me before I left the showroom.

As for the trade-in, I consider it a separate transaction, but take into account the savings on sales tax and the bother of dealing with tire kickers and plate transfers. If they see a quick profit in your car they will make an appropriate offer. But, don't expect full retail on a trade-in.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Contacted 25 Dealers in Ca., ready to order, cash in hand, ready to give a deposit... Best deal so far is $5K over. Actual allocation availibility is a HUGE issue with the Ca. Dealers. Contacted every dealer on Cars. com, Sales Mgr. or above, offered to buy a sitting Vert., and wire the money that day... Best deal is $10K over Msrp...Left my name and number at every call... No-one has called back.. I have been buying my New cars by phone for over 20 years, so I have at least a little experience and I hope professionalism... Still driving my 09 GT 500 Vert., and like it. Maybe I should wait and try and order a New '14

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Clearly their inability to meet current demand is propping up those ADMs. It seems Ford is not able/willing to push these out very quickly. Until all those waiting buyers have their orders fulfilled, it is going to be difficult to arrange any deals. So, I concur that the time is not great for negotiating a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread