Magic words to get MSRP???

Ban One

Established Member
I've got one on order at MSRP, but with all the uncertainty of it actually getting built I am wondering if there are some key words to get an MSRP deal for one on the ground now....any advice

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Cashhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to work in all cases.....otherwise be patiant, or you can just bend over !!!lol

Last edited:

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
I'm going to slightly disagree with the cash comments, from a dealership perspective, it makes zero difference if you bring in cash or have approved financing, that is the same as cash to them. I'd argue that if you have very good credit and arrange the financing though the dealer it may allow them to make a little more money on the deal they would be happy with that, in addition if you purchase an extended warranty, they could make a little more money, and of course if you have a trade they have another opportunity to make some more money. In addition, relationships obviously matter, as do referrals. If the dealer feels that you are going to end up purchasing more vehicles, or bringing cars in for service, or you are able to send a few referrals you have a better chance. Of course, you need to be talking to the General Sales Manager, General Manager, or Dealer Principal directly. Don't waste your time negotiating with a salesperson. Remember this is a business, make a good business case as to what is in it for them to sell you at the price you want.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Cash won't help.

There is a thread in this section, called "how not to pay an ADM"

That will be a good start. Travel, start calling around

Snkedriver

Established Member
According to the Poll on this forum 80% paid MSRP or less So it should be easy to find one at MSRP.

96project

Established Member
Wait till the end of the month, ride onto a lot and find a car.. then look for the hungriest salesman there and tell him/her that they have a guaranteed sale if he wants to make a new car flat commission. Then let him fight with his sales manager to get it for you.

eagle eye

Established Member
I'm going to slightly disagree with the cash comments, from a dealership perspective, it makes zero difference if you bring in cash or have approved financing, that is the same as cash to them. I'd argue that if you have very good credit and arrange the financing though the dealer it may allow them to make a little more money on the deal they would be happy with that, in addition if you purchase an extended warranty, they could make a little more money, and of course if you have a trade they have another opportunity to make some more money. In addition, relationships obviously matter, as do referrals. If the dealer feels that you are going to end up purchasing more vehicles, or bringing cars in for service, or you are able to send a few referrals you have a better chance. Of course, you need to be talking to the General Sales Manager, General Manager, or Dealer Principal directly. Don't waste your time negotiating with a salesperson. Remember this is a business, make a good business case as to what is in it for them to sell you at the price you want.

You are right on the money TJR12. One of the more sensible comments I've heard.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
A few pictures of the sales manager's wife and kids at their house, school, out shopping, followed by a few of you with your gun collection, usually greases the negotiating wheels.

Marc

Established Member
When I walk into a dealership I always have pre-approved financing through my bank, usually have a check in hand. I don't tell them this. If they want to believe they are going to finance the car and make more money off me, I let them believe this. I tend to get a better deal using this method. When they start breaking out the finance charts, I tell them, sell me the car first (agreed upon price) before we work on financing. Once we work a deal on a price, thats when I break out my check and give it to them.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Negative on the Cash comment. I started in early March with "my dealer" at below Msrp, the day the order banks opened. They then later demanded $10 over, I told them to stick it etc. Checked 22 dealers with cash in hand in Ca., best possible deal was $ 5 K over. Available allocation is ALWAYS an issue. Only dealt with the GM, Sales Mgr. or owner. Obviously still driving my 09........

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
" Cash Deal " I sell Ford's, that comment usually comes out of the mouth of a guy
driving a 1997 Crown Victoria, right Chris ?? If you strike a decent deal, get good follow up and service to match, is the price the most important part? I think not

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Ran a recent national search on Cars.com, found approx. 8 New 13 GT 500 Verts. for sale in the US. Called every Dealer, no-one was willing to get anywhere near Msrp. Allocation is a huge issue here in S. Ca. to order one, along with pricing.... Last Saturday, a New GT 500 Vert. parked next to me at Cars/Coffee. He bought it in N. Car. and had it shipped to S. Ca. Beautiful car, I need one....

rwboring

Established Member
magic words: "go to hell"

I had a Fl. dealer call me as I was driving mine home who ASSURED me I wouldn't get one for MSRP. Another good method is to get two dealers working against each other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread