Magnaflow Street axle backs - tip tarnishing

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Has anyone else using Magnaflow Street axle back mufflers noticed how bad the tips tarnish in only 1 month or less? I have to polish them with Blue Magic every couple of weeks to look great.

Before
20140125_163736_zpsb79877d2.jpg

After
20140125_164307_zpsa0758af2.jpg

Any advice of a sealing product that would extend polishing durability?

JpL4K3

Established Member
Yup mine do the same. I just break out the metal polish after I wash the car every week. Takes 10 mins.

86Fbody

Established Member
I would do the same on mine but the tarnish is sort of gold which looks kinda cool with the Kona Blue.

mhyjek

Established Member
I use never dull every couple of washes never gets as tarnished as yours. I have paxton and it's not my dd but when it's nice out usually drive it for two weeks at a time then wash. The never dull leaves a oil film on it usually just rinses off. Are you run e85 it is more corrisve... If not maybe your tune is on the leaner side I know mine is richer so mine get more carbon but if I run my meth the tips stay cleaner but haven't got the tune figured out so usually not spraying it.

yngrshr

Established Member
I used some CQuartz Dlux on my tips. It's a ceramic coating (I use the normal CQuartz on my paint). Tips are as shiny and new as the day I put them on the car.

Bassani axleback.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm only using 93 octane pump.

Wish I knew of a sealer I could use after polishing to decrease tarnishing time.

I used some CQuartz Dlux on my tips. It's a ceramic coating (I use the normal CQuartz on my paint). Tips are as shiny and new as the day I put them on the car.

Bassani axleback.

That stuff isn't cheap at all, ouch.

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Mine actually do the same thing.

I've been using Mothers Polish to help and it does last a good month before doing this again.

CSG

Established Member
Look into the products for motorcycle exhaust. I used some stuff many years back that helped with the discoloration but I don't remember what it was.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Mothers has a polish specifically for metal that lasts a long time. This is why I let getting my tips powder coated In black now

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
seriously wheels cleaner works. i use to spend a lot of time with polishes trying to get that crap off my tips. one day while cleaning under my lightning i ran out of cleaner and used wheel cleaner. i noticed on my stainless exhaust when i sprayed the wheel cleaner on it and washed off that it looked new again. tried it on the tips and BAM they looked new again. been doing it with my mustangs ever since. no need to waste money on stuff thats "better"

Users who are viewing this thread