MagnaFlow vs. Bassani vs. Flowmaster vs. Borla

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by GOGO-03
Jordanvraptor with only the mufflers installed, there will not be any significant hp/tq gains because the stock catback is all corked up to reduce sound. I only replaced my exhaust with the Magnaflow catback system and obtained at least 20+ hp. People including the old timers love the way my car sounds. It's quiet at idle but when you get on it all hell breaks loose. Even the chevy guys break for cover. The exhaust has a crackle/ pop sound to it, but that's the natural sound of the engine releasing that horsepower (she has to breath).:coolman: :coolman:

This with the stock H?

CaptK2003

Established Member
I just had the MagnaFlow CB installed last night.
Three inch tips with 2.5in pipes. (I think)

Very quiet at idle -almost stock sounding
Wakes up immediately when step on it.
A higher exaust note than I expected but still sweet indeed.
I can feel the power gain. Especially in the mid-range RPMs.
So far, I like it.

I'll post again after I drive the %#^% out of it today.

I did alot of research on this post before choosing the Magnaflows. The Stainless was a big selling factor.
These pipes look very cool.

My only fear is that someone tells me I sound ricey with the higher exaust note.
That would hurt.

Thanks - Capt. K

Matt03

Established Member
Originally posted by BULL
Blue and Matt, its all good, sorry if i offended you, wasnt my intention.

Flowmasters against bassani is a long standing joke with myself and a friend of mind. he was in my office when i was replying to the post, so i added " the gay line" just to bust his balls...... sorry , no offence,

It's cool. :beer:

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Magnaflow..........Performance, Quality, and Cost...........you can't beat $705 shipped to my door for a Catted X-Pipe, Cat-Back, in Stainless Steel.

I had a Bassani exhaust on my Lightning and it was great, but with everything considered and after hearing Magnaflows on many Lightnings I went with Magnaflow for the Cobra.

Joe Panciarello

On our dyno we did a back to back test on cat backs from Mac, Magna Flow, Bassani, Borla, FR500, and Flow master. Mac out performed all others by at least 7 HP and 3 LB Ft, Magna Flow and Bassani were tied for second, followed by Borla, then the FR500, and bringing up the rear was Flowmaster. There were 10 Cobras here that day and most owners thought the Mac had the best sound, Bassani next best, most thought the Borla sounded too " blatty" and the magna Flows too quiet. Joe

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Originally posted by Xplicit
:eek: U certainly aren't gonna sneak up on anyone with those :p

LOL :lol:

As long as I drive her normal(hard to do) I can sneak up on them...really....only when I hit the gas big time does it sound like a prostock going down the track ;-)

Harry

dkd58

Established Member
I've posted on this subject about four times in different threads already but here it is again. I had Flows on a 2000 GT and ran a set on the '03 until recently when I replaced the entire exhaust with Magna's catted x and cat-backs- (under $800 installed). I am much happier with the performance gains and sound of the Magnaflows. I have not yet heard a Bassani on an '03 but it would have to be a huge improvement in sound to justify the cost difference over Magnaflows.

Anyone want my Flows, send me an e-mail.

Last edited:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
STD or SAE? What were the atmospheric conditions (my numbers were in 80+ degree humid conditions)? I only mention dyno numbers for basic comparison sake.

Also, I paid $139 for the CAI and $309 for the catback, FWIW.

SAE, sorry. Forgot to mention that. Atmoshperic conditions don't come into play as much in SAE numbers. The program compensates for altitude, humidity, temperature, etc in SAE mode. The 421 sounded really high to me, but we backed it up with a number of 420 runs. I heard of another '03 dynoing at 389 in Denver (about 100 miles from where I'm at) bone stock. Perhaps at 6000 ft. of altitude the program compensates too much for elevation. :shrug: Could also be that I didn't exactly break my car in "soft". Who knows. I never dynoed it bone stock. It did, however, make 404 SAE with just the catback (stock filter and silencer). Also, keep in mind that my exhaust is a take-off from my '99 Cobra. I don't know if Bassani has changed their design at all. I doubt the new systems perform worse, though.

Silver TT

Established Member
Originally posted by tommygun
I just installed the magnaflow cat back and bassani x-pipe today on mine and love the way it sounds in high rpm. It is a little raspy when you first lay in it but then it just sounds awesome. I spent 600 bucks and I could feel a gain by the seat of my pants. I will dyno it tomorrow to see what it gained

Tommy Gun - How did the dyno session go?

Where did you buy your setup for $600 bucks?

Thanks,

Dan

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
just ordered my bassani catted x and cat back, heard 'em at fun ford weekend, they sounded great. i had both flowmaster's and borla on my 96 cobra. flow's sound good, borla has a real deep tone to it, over all, i like the bassani sound.

03InThe11s

Established Member
rpmoutlet.com they have the best prices i have found, and if you buy the x-pipe and the cat back, you save about $150. not bad. why i was ordering, i got the 95mm c&l mass air meter, and pulley kit.

03InThe11s

Established Member
ohh yea, its in the dyno tuned packages and is $1099. more than other systems, but i wanted full stainless, and the best quality i could get.

KHsonic03

Established Member
Just a comment on Flowmaster. Why put cheap exhaust on your $35,000+ car? Flowmaster is galvanized steel. Scrape a muffler and it rusts. Bassani, Borla, Magnaflow, Steeda, they all realized that people want quality that lasts. You get SS from the factory--why downgrade to galvanized steel? You definately don't gain anything with blowmaster over Bassani or Magnaflow, and with these two products, you have perfect fit and finish. I just don't get it:shrug: Flowmaster is out-dated crap IMO. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread