MagnaFlow vs. Bassani vs. Flowmaster vs. Borla

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
This is a "fatal 4 way" matchup with no time limit. The argument will go on and on till the end of time. Anyone with dyno results, charts, professional opinions, or anything to say about either of these systems please chime in. My opinion is that I didn't care for the Magnaflow sound on my 2001 GT. I thought it sounded a bit too "old Chevy with glasspacks". I love the sound of Flowmasters, but I have read more than once on a few different forums that they do little or nothing as far as performance. Maybe the performance gain on the '03 Cobra is just because of a freer exhaust system, and not anything Flowmaster did especially for the Cobra per se? Lets stir the pot boys, and let the opinions start flowing. A little debate never hurt anyone.

03DOHC

Established Member
Been discussed ad nauseum, but it doesn't hurt to do it again for the newer members.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
So what was the outcome 03 DOHC? I like the sound of the Flowmaster, but didn't like the sound of the MagnaFlows. I know you for one, have heard a great many combos in your time at the dyno days? What would you recommend to me in your professional opinion, keeping in mind the critsizms sited by me above?

Silver TT

Established Member
Solid Snake -

I am in the same boat as you...trying to decide one from the other. Unfortunately, I have only heard the MagnaFlows in person. I have heard sound clips of the Bassani on several differnet links.

Here is what I gather:

1. MagnaFlow - Top HP gains (tied with Bassani), most economical, slightly subjective sound.

2. Bassani - Top HP gains (tied with MF), most expensive, really nice sound (have never heard anything negative).

3. Borla - Haven't even met anyone who has seen or heard the Borla. Still waiting to get comments....

Hope that helps a little. Do a search for Bassani or Magnaflow and you'll see a few sound clips of each. Or go to a local race track and just listen. Probably only way to make a decision.

Dan

BULL

Established Member
bassani = drone..........but slightly better sound than magnaflow

magnaflow = zero drone........slightly quiter than bassani

had them both

ps: flowmaster = gay

lmao

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by BULL
Gay to the tune of 397/377 with nothing more than a 9" open filter in addition to the Flowmaster catback...:kaboom:

Bassani, good gains, straight-through "exotic" note, giant 4" tips, stainless, $$$
Maggies, good gains, "exotic" note, stainless, $$
Flowmaster, good gains (maybe cost a couple of Tq.), chambered "musclecar" rumble/note, aluminized, $
Borla: not enough experience to comment...

Matt03

Established Member
Originally posted by BULL
bassani = drone..........but slightly better sound than magnaflow

magnaflow = zero drone........slightly quiter than bassani

had them both

lmao

Have you ever owned flowmaster mufflers, because you sound like someone who has had absolutely no expierence with them. I can't even count how many people said the the love my exhaust. To each his own, don't flame. Check my sig.

Matt

Last edited:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Gay to the tune of 397/377 with nothing more than a 9" open filter in addition to the Flowmaster catback...:kaboom:
I made 421 w/ just a UPR cold air and a ('99) Bassani catback. I love the way Flowmasters sound on most cars, but I think there's more to be gained with the Bassani stuff. I would personally like to hear a MAC catback on an '03. MAC is all I'll use for my 5.0. They're cheap, make good power, and sound as good or better than Flowmasters (they sound very similar). I also had a full Bassani exhaust (headers, cat pipes, catback) on my '00 Lightning and I LOVED the way they performed and sounded. It wasn't extremely loud, either. The truck was my daily driver and the exhaust never bothered me a bit.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
What about MAC. If you haven't heard it, you should. MAC is the highest flowing muffler made, as far as looking like a muffler. The straight-thru mufflers obviously flow more. MAC mufflers flow right around 350 cfm, compared to Flowmaster's 275 cfm. Trust me you will feel a gain in power with MAC exhaust. Go to http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/sounds/sounds.htm to hear the MAC. They have exhaust clips from a GT, but it sounds similar. If you listen to the one that says "sounds like a 5.8L," that is what mine sounds like at an idle. Only mine is a little louder due to the off-road H pipe.

tommygun

Established Member
I just installed the magnaflow cat back and bassani x-pipe today on mine and love the way it sounds in high rpm. It is a little raspy when you first lay in it but then it just sounds awesome. I spent 600 bucks and I could feel a gain by the seat of my pants. I will dyno it tomorrow to see what it gained

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by tommygun
I just installed the magnaflow cat back and bassani x-pipe today on mine and love the way it sounds in high rpm. It is a little raspy when you first lay in it but then it just sounds awesome. I spent 600 bucks and I could feel a gain by the seat of my pants. I will dyno it tomorrow to see what it gained

You spent $600 combined for the magnaflo cat back and x-pipe?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by svt46sc
I made 421 w/ just a UPR cold air and a ('99) Bassani catback.
STD or SAE? What were the atmospheric conditions (my numbers were in 80+ degree humid conditions)? I only mention dyno numbers for basic comparison sake.

Also, I paid $139 for the CAI and $309 for the catback, FWIW.

jordanvraptor

Established Member
Has anyone just had the Magnaflow or the Flowmaster mufflers put on? Is there a horsepower gain? I like the stock tips and wonder if the new catbacks have larger diameter pipes? They don't seem to unless you go for the 3 inch versions. What is the difference in cost?

03DOHC

Established Member
Purchace the exhaust with the sound you like. The difference in performance isn't worth worrying about IMO.

Now what CAI should I get. hehe.

71stang99

Established Member
personally I think the Magnaflows sound better then the Flowmasters, I had flowmasters on my 71 Mustang and they sounded ok but not to the more "high performance" sound of the Magnaflow

BULL

Established Member
Blue and Matt, its all good, sorry if i offended you, wasnt my intention.

Flowmasters against bassani is a long standing joke with myself and a friend of mind. he was in my office when i was replying to the post, so i added " the gay line" just to bust his balls...... sorry , no offence,

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Now what CAI should I get. hehe.
JLP CAI..dual ram-air effect..fog light and head light(when pulled out at track).

GOGO-03

Established Member
Originally posted by jordanvraptor
Has anyone just had the Magnaflow or the Flowmaster mufflers put on? Is there a horsepower gain? I like the stock tips and wonder if the new catbacks have larger diameter pipes? They don't seem to unless you go for the 3 inch versions. What is the difference in cost?

Jordanvraptor with only the mufflers installed, there will not be any significant hp/tq gains because the stock catback is all corked up to reduce sound. I only replaced my exhaust with the Magnaflow catback system and obtained at least 20+ hp. People including the old timers love the way my car sounds. It's quiet at idle but when you get on it all hell breaks loose. Even the chevy guys break for cover. The exhaust has a crackle/ pop sound to it, but that's the natural sound of the engine releasing that horsepower (she has to breath).:coolman: :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread