Major Blowout

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Drive home last night 7:30 PM on Route 19 felt like I hit something small, then car started pulling right, then almost lost control.

Major blowout - like someone cut the tire all the way around.

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Did you go over any big pot holes? Kinda looks like the IRS bolt may have scored the inside of the tire. Doesn't usually happen with the nittos, but not impossible.

03yellow

Established Member
If you lose air in the tire the rimm will cut thru from the inside to the outside of the tire. Looks very simular to the area of your blow out. It will travel al the way around the side wall

Last edited:

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
I hit something, wasn't a pot hole.
Wheels are Cobra R 18"
No injury, was able to coast to the side.

Car is driving fine (well as good as could be expected on donut).

This was the front passenger tire and as someone else mentioned a Falken not a Nitto. (need to update my sig BFG Drags on rear, Falkens on Front)

I inspected the car as best I could on the side of the road and it looked OK, no problem with bolts or anything. Did closer inspection at home.

Luckily I have 2 spare Falkens so I am going to have a spare mounted tonight.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
03yellow said:
If you lose air in the tire the rimm will cut thru from the inside to the outside of the tire. Looks very simular to the area of your blow out. It will travel al the way around the side wall

Interesting, I don't recall hitting a pot hole or anything like that but it did feel like I hit road debris.

So do you think a can of fix a flat will help?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow! You were very fortunate. That could have been one serious wreck if you were going fast enough.

Well, this is proof positive that sh*t happens! I hope that anyone who feels the urge to drive 120mph+ for a thrill will see and remember this tire. Especially for those who think it can never happen to them. Imagine doing 160 and have a tire go out. You'd be carried away in a body bag. Be safe people!

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Wow! You were very fortunate. That could have been one serious wreck if you were going fast enough.

Well, this is proof positive that sh*t happens! I hope that anyone who feels the urge to drive 120mph+ for a thrill will see and remember this tire. Especially for those who think it can never happen to them. Imagine doing 160 and have a tire go out. You'd be carried away in a body bag. Be safe people!

I was doing 80-85. I should have immediately pulled over once I felt the car pulling to the right but was double checking the pull and stuff.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Iceman II said:
I can't really tell from the pics, but it does look like the tire was scored. Tires too wide?

275 40 18 I don't think it's too wide. I have put probably 2,000 miles on this setup already.

Plus remember I definately hit some debris.

NJCOBRA10thA

Established Member
Bad Luck for sure, and not limited to my Cobra. Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher all went last month but at least were covered under warranty.

Hopefully this is the end of the bad luck.

Users who are viewing this thread