Major Complaint

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
I purchased an APC carbon fiber hood for my SVTF on August 27th from streetbeatcustoms.com. It's been 5 weeks and still no hood. I called over to the place several times and they just keep pushing the times back when it will be shipped. Latest estimate puts it two weeks out......grrrrrr!!!! Two months to receive a freaking hood, are you kidding me!:mj: The customer service I received over there was very poor, and sometimes even condecending until I threatened to call the BBB on their butts (as they have the BBB logo on their web site). Now they are all apologetic and are telling me they are trying very hard to work with APC to get it. If you are considering buying anything from these people, don't, go elsewhere, save the time and the money.

svtred

lambo doors on the S-V-T
Established Member
im not trying to back up street beat but i work at a speed shop and sometimes its not our fault if we cant get stuff quick, the hood may be on back order, or something, APC sucks to work with

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I won't defend them either but being in the same business it really is sometimes beyond our control when we can not get a part.

I work for one of the largest manufacturers in the world and a couple years ago F150 hoods were on backorder!!! and I mean an extended backorder.

Try explaining that you can't supply your customers with a hood for the best selling truck in the world! especially when you normally have 20 in your warehouse.

Last edited:

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
Oh trust me, I know all about backorder stuff, I work in the computer business and run into a lot. But I have never lied to a customer, told them we had something and then kept dodging their calls, making excuses, and more or less lying to them about the problem, even to the point where I was becoming beligerant and degrading. That's basically what they did to me. All I ask is some respect and truthfullness from a vendor....is that too much to ask?

myFordPerformance

Established Member
No it's not to much to ask !

Unfortunately to many online vendors simply don't list the inventory status of all the things they offer. I understand all to well how hard that is to do, if they don't have some sort of automated inventory database, it's has to be done manually. Very very few have such and automated system.

For me, if I don't have something, and know full well I can't get it, I will put something on the website for that item that indicates it's on backorder and when my supplier expects to have it back in stock. If by chance a customer orders something I've not payed attention to, and it turns out I can't get it, I take full responsibility and contact the customer immediately to either void or refund the amount or find how if the customer wants to wait.

It's hard to keep an online system up to date, but it's no excuse for poor customer service.

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
Well, to your credit, I've ordered a part from myfordperformance.com in the past, and the service I received was top notch. I received an e-mail quickly regarding my purchase, all the sales and ship confirmations, everything. I most definitely will order from you guys again.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Originally posted by myFordPerformance
No it's not to much to ask !

Unfortunately to many online vendors simply don't list the inventory status of all the things they offer. I understand all to well how hard that is to do, if they don't have some sort of automated inventory database, it's has to be done manually. Very very few have such and automated system.

I have to take issue with that statement...and no flame intended whatsoever. I find that very very few companies and suppliers do NOT have computerized inventories. As someone who writes a lot of programs in Access, I can tell you that even those who can't afford a system from Triad, etc can sure get one written very affordably for their needs...and it will be real time. Most of your parts houses (Carquest, NAPA, etc) will even have their stores tied into the warehouse inventory so they can immediately check that inventory too.

However, in this case, it sounds like a supplier went on backorder and didn't notify their dealers. That's commom...and regrettable.

myFordPerformance

Established Member
No flame taken :)

The point I was trying to make is that thier website may not correctly reflect the inventory and it's availability.

I've got a 20+ year background in computer software, 5 years working in B2B and B2C, so I understand what you are talking about and how it works. Even if thier website is database driven and even if they have an admin app to update the status of thier inventory, many times they simply don't. Moreover, I would be willing to bet that very few have a system that automatically updates thier inventory database dynamically when someone orders something from thier website.

I'm just saying, having spent now nearly 3 years in this business, that I see all to often online vendors not putting any indication on thier website if an item is on backorder or not. I recognize that it's difficult to keep up on everything, but that's no excuse to hold someone's money for 5+ weeks as KCFocusSVT described. It gives every vendor participating online a bad rep. I hear it all the time, someone calls and wants to buy something, but they've had a bad experience like this and they are worried about getting scammed.

All that said, I'll be the first to tell you that my own website, while is database driven, is certainly not an accurate reflection of my inventory or my suppliers either. But, I pay very close attention to what I know I can and cannot get either overnight, within a couple days or dropshipped directly from one of my suppliers. And, in the event that I get caught with my pants down, I call and email the customer as quickly as possible to let them know the status and give them the choice as to keep the order in place, or cancel it.

:rockon:

------------
Ray Dixon
Phone: 845-416-7151
[email protected]
http://www.myFordPerformance.com
Win Focus Performance Parts only on myFordFocus.com

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
My saga continues...
Spoke with the customer service guy at street beat, and was told that they are not able to get that slotted APC hood anymore, that it has been discontinued. Without even asking, they ordered the OE style from the vendor instead. Fortunately one of the people told me and needless to say, I was a bit pissed off. Well, after 2 days of phone conversation, they are going to try and get a similar hood for me, and if they can't, then they are going to refund my money. Why the heck didn't they tell me all this in the first place instead of me having to force it out of them?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Again not in their defense, I have placed orders for parts from Ford which were placed on backorder for some time and then cancelled by Ford because they decided to discontinue the part even though they had stock and I had an order in the system.

I actually had a front plate bracket on order for a Mark 8 that was on backorder for quite a while, these come prepainted and are quite expensive.

In the time between when I ordered it and received it the cost and list prices doubled! Try explaining to someone that the part you quoted them has just come in but it now costs $120.00 instead of the $60.00 you quoted them, I ended up selling it at cost.

These are still not excuses for poor customer relations but may help shed some light on their predicament.

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
Resolution:
Well, finally I was able to get a straight answer and confirmation from them. They are ordering an OE style hood for me, they are aparently no longer doing business with this seller anymore, and they are refunding part of my money.
I do have a question though, they told me that there is a problem with the slotted CF Hoods, that they are knocking into the valve cover and it is damaging the hoods so that is why they are discontinuing the slotted style hood. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced this problem?

p.s. thanks for all your insight and info fordsvtparts, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Originally posted by myFordPerformance
No flame taken :)

The point I was trying to make is that thier website may not correctly reflect the inventory and it's availability.

I've got a 20+ year background in computer software, 5 years working in B2B and B2C, so I understand what you are talking about and how it works. Even if thier website is database driven and even if they have an admin app to update the status of thier inventory, many times they simply don't. Moreover, I would be willing to bet that very few have a system that automatically updates thier inventory database dynamically when someone orders something from thier website.

I'm just saying, having spent now nearly 3 years in this business, that I see all to often online vendors not putting any indication on thier website if an item is on backorder or not. I recognize that it's difficult to keep up on everything, but that's no excuse to hold someone's money for 5+ weeks as KCFocusSVT described. It gives every vendor participating online a bad rep. I hear it all the time, someone calls and wants to buy something, but they've had a bad experience like this and they are worried about getting scammed.

All that said, I'll be the first to tell you that my own website, while is database driven, is certainly not an accurate reflection of my inventory or my suppliers either. But, I pay very close attention to what I know I can and cannot get either overnight, within a couple days or dropshipped directly from one of my suppliers. And, in the event that I get caught with my pants down, I call and email the customer as quickly as possible to let them know the status and give them the choice as to keep the order in place, or cancel it.

:rockon:

------------
Ray Dixon
Phone: 845-416-7151
[email protected]
http://www.myFordPerformance.com
Win Focus Performance Parts only on myFordFocus.com

You are to be commended on your service to your customers. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone were like that. However, I do owe you an apology. The computer systems I was referring to are all in-house systems or networks and do not deal with internet orders whatsoever. Their systems show availability, sales, # on order, etc. When a sale is made, the system is immediately updated and is real time. Your 'net applications could cause some real headaches to real time data. I'm not sure it could even be done without manual control by someone regardless of how sophisticated the software is. SOMEBODY has to transfer the data from the web database to the inventory control software.

Your point is well taken.

Users who are viewing this thread