Making U turn At Red Light?

imstillclowning

Established Member
Just have a simple question for any of the Officers out there. I remember once reading that you ARE able to make a U turn at a red light but it is risky? I thought that that was illegal unless you had a green light? Sounds like a retarded question but figured i'd ask anyways cuz i see people doing it every now and then!:shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In almost every jurisdiction you cannot turn left on red unless you are going from a one way street to a one way street. U-turn on red would be no different.

oldmodman

Established Member
It must vary by jurisdiction.

Here in California there are lots of left turn lanes where you can only turn on a green arrow. And most of them will have a sign saying left or U turn on green arrow only.
So, speaking for myself, I won't make a U turn unless it specifically says you may.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
When I was a city police officer we had a city ordinance against do this. Texas state law says one cannot make a U-turn within 500' of a hill crest or a curve.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
When I was a city police officer we had a city ordinance against do this. Texas state law says one cannot make a U-turn within 500' of a hill crest or a curve.

We have the similar hill, curve state statute.

And the left on red from a one way to another one way.

Never heard of a u-turn on red being ok. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread