man charged with defrauding eBay sellers

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
Clicky

NEWARK — A New Jersey man has been charged in what federal prosecutors say was a scheme to defraud hundreds of sellers of foreign and antique banknotes on the online auction site eBay.

Forty-nine-year-old David D'Aries of Summit is charged with mail fraud.

New Jersey's U.S. Attorney says D'Aries won approximately 400 auctions during a five-year period on eBay, posing as three different individuals, including his dead father.

Prosecutors say D'Aries paid for his purchases using PayPal or a variety of credit cards, then call the credit card companies and claim he never received an item or a charge was unauthorized. Prosecutors estimate the losses to eBay, PayPal and various sellers total approximately $122,000.

Defense Attorney Alan Zegas says D'Aries, who is released on bail, intends to plead not guilty

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
If he is found guilty they need to hang his ass. Scammers ftl!

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
That's what all guilty people do.
Please not guilty till prosecutors & lawyers come up with a plea deal that's normally less of a charge than if you were to plea guilty to the original charge

Last edited:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Not a real clever or elegant scheme.

He bought things and initiated chargebacks on them with his credit card company. Did he really think they weren't going to notice?

flS/R

Established Member
maybe he is pleading not guilty because paypal and ebay make it so easy by always siding with the buyer :shrug:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Yes! Us buyers get a bad rep because of people like him. String him up by his balls. I feel the same about fraudulent sellers though...

BladeX10

Established Member
This is the exact reason why i stopped using ebay as a seller. I got ****ed over by this same method on more than 1 occasion so it makes me believe this is very normal amongst the ebay community. This guy got over on 400+ people so that just goes to tell you ebay doesnt give a flying shit about its sellers.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
this is the exact reason why i stopped using ebay as a seller. I got ****ed over by this same method on more than 1 occasion so it makes me believe this is very normal amongst the ebay community. This guy got over on 400+ people so that just goes to tell you ebay doesnt give a flying shit about its sellers.

x1000000

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
maybe he is pleading not guilty because paypal and ebay make it so easy by always siding with the buyer :shrug:

I have to agree. eBay and PayPal should have noticed a pattern of charge-backs. As well as the credit card companies. I mean, 400 auctions? Potentially 400 charge-backs? And neither PayPal nor the credit card companies got suspicious? It's publicity like this that pushes people from selling on eBay. I once sold quite a bit on eBay, but got smart back around 2002 and pretty much stopped. Now, I only sell my shifter gaskets and an occasional item.

I hope this guy does NOT get a plea deal. Set an example with this guy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I haven't sold in quite some time. I've bought from a few tool shacks, other than that I try not to use eBay at all.

Where I find eBay useful is for hard to find items. I like that I can save a search on a discontinued item and they will alert me when one is available. Other than that, I think I buy maybe one item a year on eBay.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Could be that complaints from sellers/eBay/PayPal/credit card companies prompted the USPS to get involved because mail fraud was the most serious charge. Somebody had to have filed a complaint with the USPS.

blacknight07607

Tailgating State
Established Member
When I did sell items on Ebay, I only shipped via UPS (within the U.S.) with a signature required and I only shipped to a physical address. I made that clear in every auction I did.
Some people tried to say they only had a p.o. box address and I replied, I need a physical address. no exceptions.
No, its not fool proof, but I think it's much better than just shipping it via mail with a delivery confirmation receipt.

Users who are viewing this thread