Manley H-Beam Rod - Snapped in Half

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I think I found the limit of the factory '03 Cobra rod. 28-29lbs boost, 1050-1100whp and it went kaboom and made massive fireball out the bottom of the car. Was racing a TT Coyote at TX2K16 when it happened.

These were cryo treated rods with ARP 2000 bolts. Part of the rod is still attached to the piston and pin. Just literally snapped in half....

20160507_15071701_zpssny61s0f.jpg

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Yeah this one was definitely a doozy. I run 10.5:1 compression on E85 for the person that asked.

This is even worse than the piston I smoked a couple years ago.......

20150607_185101-1_PerfectlyClear_zps2x4tb66e.jpg

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
MORE like what was the air fuel mixture when it grenaded?
Earlier that night I made several test passes and did some logging. Added some fuel and took some timing out in anticipation of what was to come later that evening. A/F was 11.0 to 11.2, but I can tell you this, the humidity had moved out and it was extremely dry and cool. The density altitude was about -800ft and that could have got me. I'll post pics of that piston when I get the heads off here tonight or tomorrow.

Hello?

Oliver?
I'll be going with Manley Pro Series 14518. While in Houston at the hotel, I met a regional sales manager and 25yr employee of Manley. I got his contact info and he's going to hook me up on price.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I posted this on FB. A long read, but kind of gives the story of the night and what led up to it.....

It's TX2K16, Saturday night aka the last night. After calling out any and all Terminators, finally we have the race we wanted all along. Got something arranged with Matt Haeffner and his badass flat blue Cobra that was just finished up the weekend prior. My car had a new shortblock, but overall the car was pretty dialed in (TT also) and ready to go as my combo was the same. I had a new weapon though where I finally got my boost by gear working correctly so I could ramp it in and not spin the tires on the hit any longer.

On Saturday, the humid weather broke and some cool, dry air moved in. The density altitude was -800ft late this night. Since it was the last night, it was time to turn shit up. I tune the car with SCT PRP so I made tuning changes and dropped a point on the timing to 16 and made some test passes at 28lbs. The car needed some fuel so I added some fuel where it was needed and we were ready to go.

Later that night I get the call from Matt where we're gonna meet up. It was a ways out of town and he had the 1320 video crew on deck to film. On the way there, something in the back end of the car didn't feel right. We pulled into a gas station to check it out. I called Matt and told him we were having an issue and he offered a jack and some tools which saved the day. The caliper flange bolts backed out, 3 of them anyway and the caliper bracket was just flapping around in there. After an hour or so of dicking around, my buddy Jason had solved the problem by stealing a bolt from the other side.

It was about 2:30am at this point and Matt informed me his car had a problem also and we weren't gonna be able to race. Damn, what a bummer! I brought his jack and tools back and thanked him for all the help and time. We headed back towards the hotel, I thought our night was done. But my buddy Jason had other ideas.

Earlier that night we ran into Dustin who had literally just arrived from KC that evening and we told him we'd like to run his TT Coyote. Around 3:30am we got back by the hotel and saw a bunch of cars at a gas station and there was Dustin right there and he was ready to go. We left and headed up the beltway and a couple other cars followed including a modded GT-R. I first got a run on the GT-R and put the beat down on him. Next up was Dustin. I brake boosted and spun at first so I shut down right away.

By this time it was 4am and it was time to end this night and this 1200 mile trip. Dustin and I lined up and we went. He got out on me just a tick and then I hit my 2nd set point on the eboost2, and then the 3rd. The 3rd set point felt like the old days when I had a 200 shot on a button. The car just hiked up the front end and blew right past the Coyote. And then, IT happened. The whole left side of the car was suddenly like daytime. I looked in the side mirror and all I could see was a massive ball of fire. I said to Jason, "dude we're on FIRE, the motor just blew up". I coasted for a short while so the fire would go out. All the cars that were in the pack stopped to help and I shooed them off because I didn't want to create a spectacle and have anyone get in trouble when/if the cops showed up.

We called our buddies to go get the truck and trailer and come load us up. The night was done and my car was done. I knew this one would be bad and it was. Because it lost oil pressure we knew it had to be a rod that let go and sure enough, there it is. The Manley H Beam snapped in half, destroyed the block, oil pan, pickup and not totally sure what else yet. But that's the story of these pictures so hopefully you enjoyed the story. I'm gonna rebuild and be back, but this one will keep me down for awhile. It was a long, somber 1200 mile trek back to MN though.

The video against said Coyote
[video=youtube;M4qGKa94Wng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4qGKa94Wng[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread