Marauder Owners: Please stand up!

Lawman

Established Member
Hey guys! This is my first post on this Forum, and I would like to see what kind of feedback I get on the following subject:

I currently own a 2003 SVT Cobra vert. Due to the fact that my family is getting bigger ( I have a 1 year old son, and my wife and I just found out that she is 4 weeks pregnant) I need to get a bigger vehicle.
I was wondering, how does the Marauder compare to the Cobra.
I'm talking specifically about handling, acceleration, etc.
In a nutshell, I need to find out if I will be happy with the Marauder, as I am with the Cobra.
I can't test drive the vehicle first because none of the dealerships in my area has a Marauder in stock, and I don't know anyone that owns one.
I really hate to get rid of my Snake, but b/c of my situation, I have no choice.
I re-live my youth everytime I drive my Cobra. It's like that feeling you get when you are driving and your favorite song is playing on the radio.
You know..., the song that makes you turn the volume way up, and you tend to drive a little more aggressively and you feel, invincible...., for the moment at least!
Your positive,as well as negative feedback will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
A stock Marauder will be a disappoinment performance-wise when compared to your Cobra. I would describe my car's performance as "sluggish" when i first bought it.

A chip from Lidio at Alternative Automotive will wake the car up quite nicely, and a set of 4:10 gears will be a further enhancement.

A Trilogy supercharger will turn your Marauder into the closest thing to a four-door Cobra. It absolutely transforms the car into a tire-incinerating beast, without sacrificing everyday driveability.

Bottom line-buy the Marauder.

Lawman

Established Member
Thank you Tallboy, for your input.
I do believe that a stock Marauder will perform better than my friends' Crown Victoria Sport.
I know that It won't perform as well as the Cobra, but I believe the one that I'm thinking about acquiring will definitely make me happy.
Anyone else for some advice/feedback?

Lawman

Established Member
c-mon guys. 41 "views" and only 1 "reply?" I can conclude one of three things: either A) Marauders are really not worth speaking of
B) Marauder owners just don't want to waste their time to help someone out
C) I should just keep my SVT Cobra :beer:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Hey there, I dont got over here as often as I used too.. I recently sold my 98 Cobra and purchased the 04 MM for the same reasons. My wife and I have two small children. Before, I could only take one of my kids in the Cobra. The front seat passenger would have to push the seat up to a point that was clearly uncomfortable. Now, I can take the entire family out and enjoy the ride. Tallboy is right. The MM stock is sluggish new. I have since changed to 4:10s, 180* stat and a SCT9100 tuned by Rick at Amazon Racing. This car is now set up the way Mercury should have sold the car!!! I love it! Sure I really wanted to keep the Cobra, but it wasnt practical.

Your a Cobra guy. You have a specialty vehicle; unique. The MM will is in the same class. Actually, there are only 11K ever made.

Buy the Marauder.
www.mercurymarauder.net

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Lawman said:
c-mon guys. 41 "views" and only 1 "reply?" I can conclude one of three things: either A) Marauders are really not worth speaking of
Not sure where the other Marauder guys are. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the funds available. They are nice and big, have huge trunks for storing baby stroller a load of groceries and a couple dead bodies. Another plus, it isnt a mini-van so you won't blend in with all the other soccer moms and dads. Of course you have all the other benefits like a super cool loooking fast 4 door :)

Tallboy

Say "When"...
Established Member
Lawman, I am familiar with the car I believe you're considering. You will not be disappointed, as it has the right mods and has been very well taken care of... ;-)

Captain Steve

Established Member
Your best bet is to check out www.mercurymarauder.net and ask there.

You can probably find somebody in your area willing to give you a test ride.

lawman said:
I was wondering, how does the Marauder compare to the Cobra.I'm talking specifically about handling, acceleration, etc.

Well, the Marauder is heavier and slower than a cobra. You're carrying around 1000lbs of extra weight with pretty much the same engine.

I've never had a ride in a Cobra, so I'm not qualified to give an opinion on the feel of the two cars.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I had a 96 impala w/ 400+ horsepower before my cobra, it was pretty fun. I think a marauder would be similar to that, it was always fun having a car that was really fast, but still fit 4-5 people. Now though I wouldnt ever give up my cobra. In my opinon I think you will have more fun with a cobra, but if you need more room and still want a fast car, get the marauder.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Well been a while but. With only 11052 made in 2 years it well be rarer than any 03/04 Cobra or Mach I. Yes if you test drive a new MM with less than 5000 miles the performance is some what lackluster. I did a 15.3 totally stock with about 800 miles on the OD. Then I did a 14.976 with about 13,000 miles so it improves with milage. And now I did a 14.503 with just a Chip/Throttle body/4.10 gears. And I just got my Bassani Midlength headers and Xpipe still waiting for my Resonatorless tips and a compatent exhaust shop to complete the rest of the exhaust system. But I like mine a lot as you don't see yourself at every intersection like New Beetles/PT Cruisers.
Plenty of interior and trunk room. Plus I can get out in the passing lane and no one wants to mess with me, infact they get over to. The only complants about the car is the very inferior paint and the back tires are bigger and taller then the front. I would of liked the same size rubber all the way around.
If your looking for a New 04 it might take some hunting. Used ones appear on lots from time to time also. So if your really going for 1 the time is now to act on it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Silverstrike said:
Well been a while but. With only 11052 made in 2 years it well be rarer than any 03/04 Cobra or Mach I. Yes if you test drive a new MM with less than 5000 miles the performance is some what lackluster. I did a 15.3 totally stock with about 800 miles on the OD. Then I did a 14.976 with about 13,000 miles so it improves with milage. And now I did a 14.503 with just a Chip/Throttle body/4.10 gears. And I just got my Bassani Midlength headers and Xpipe still waiting for my Resonatorless tips and a compatent exhaust shop to complete the rest of the exhaust system. But I like mine a lot as you don't see yourself at every intersection like New Beetles/PT Cruisers.
Plenty of interior and trunk room. Plus I can get out in the passing lane and no one wants to mess with me, infact they get over to. The only complants about the car is the very inferior paint and the back tires are bigger and taller then the front. I would of liked the same size rubber all the way around.
If your looking for a New 04 it might take some hunting. Used ones appear on lots from time to time also. So if your really going for 1 the time is now to act on it. :thumbsup:

^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. You can also get a good deal on them. I bought mine in 10/04 for less than 28K. Guys on MM.net are reporting new ones going for as low as 22 - 23K. You may have to travel.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Lawman,
I just sold my 03 Cobra and bought a 03 MM. Its at the shipping docks right now :banana: I test drove a friends. The Cobra & MM are two TOTALLY separate vehicles, two different classes. You can't have the best of both worlds,....BUT,....with a few mods to the MM, you can get close! ;-)

If its gonna be a family daily driver, be careful with the mods. You know how reliability goes down as HP goes up! :D All I plan to do to mine are 4:10s and exhaust, maybe a K&N.

BTW, If I find the b@$t@rd that got your wife pregnant, I'll personally kick his @$$ for you. :lol1:

J/K,....Congradulations. Let me know how fatherhood is. I may want to try it too.

Lawman

Established Member
ROADWARRIORSVT said:
Lawman,
I just sold my 03 Cobra and bought a 03 MM. Its at the shipping docks right now :banana: I test drove a friends. The Cobra & MM are two TOTALLY separate vehicles, two different classes. You can't have the best of both worlds,....BUT,....with a few mods to the MM, you can get close! ;-)

If its gonna be a family daily driver, be careful with the mods. You know how reliability goes down as HP goes up! :D All I plan to do to mine are 4:10s and exhaust, maybe a K&N.

BTW, If I find the b@$t@rd that got your wife pregnant, I'll personally kick his @$$ for you. :lol1:

J/K,....Congradulations. Let me know how fatherhood is. I may want to try it too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Why did you get rid of your Cobra? BTW, fatherhood is great! My son just made a year old on Jan. 26.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
It still have the 97 Cobra, that I WAS using for work. I sold the 03 Cobra because the 97 was going to "expire" for work purposes and I would have to buy another vehicle for work. I can't handle the two car payments so the 03 was just a toy anyways. I sold the 03 12-21-04. I'm picking up the Marauder this week from the shipping docks.

The Maurauder will stay stock (well,....mostly). I've been stripping down the 97. Most of the crap I've taken off won't go back on. The 97 will eventually be an 8 sec. car. :bowdown:

Last edited:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Lawman said:
Hey guys! This is my first post on this Forum, and I would like to see what kind of feedback I get on the following subject:

I currently own a 2003 SVT Cobra vert. Due to the fact that my family is getting bigger ( I have a 1 year old son, and my wife and I just found out that she is 4 weeks pregnant) I need to get a bigger vehicle.
I was wondering, how does the Marauder compare to the Cobra.
I'm talking specifically about handling, acceleration, etc.
In a nutshell, I need to find out if I will be happy with the Marauder, as I am with the Cobra.
I can't test drive the vehicle first because none of the dealerships in my area has a Marauder in stock, and I don't know anyone that owns one.
I really hate to get rid of my Snake, but b/c of my situation, I have no choice.
I re-live my youth everytime I drive my Cobra. It's like that feeling you get when you are driving and your favorite song is playing on the radio.
You know..., the song that makes you turn the volume way up, and you tend to drive a little more aggressively and you feel, invincible...., for the moment at least!
Your positive,as well as negative feedback will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Well I traded my '03 in for a Marauder. There is little comparison really. The Cobra was pure BALLS... the Marauder is a more refined comfortable ride. In the Cobra you got a lot of performance and a spartan interior.. buckboard ride... in the Marauder you get all the bells and whistles... but you are going to have to spend money to make the 2 ton sled go. Not that it can't be done... $6k of your money.... a blower slapped on top... 450HP at the rear wheels... and the Marauder gets down the road :banana:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Lawman said:

Well you are really on the wrong forum here......

Try...

www.mercurymarauder.net

That is where the MM drivers really hang out.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
ROADWARRIORSVT said:
If its gonna be a family daily driver, be careful with the mods. You know how reliability goes down as HP goes up! :D
That depends on who you go to for mods, and how well those mods were engineered for the Marauder. With the S/Cer kit from Trilogy Motorsports (aka "Trilogy International") my Marauder runs consistent 12.2's in 70 degree temperatures, and consistent 12.0's in temperatures in the upper 40's, and all on 93 octane pump gasoline. And yet, I drive it every day to work, and even in the snow, and the driveability hasn't been effected at all. The car is putting 400 HP to the wheels, and it does 1.6 sec 60' times at the dragstrip, as well as 0-60 MPH in 4.25 seconds on the street. This car is two tons of fun!!!!

Last edited:

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
ArizonaSnake said:
Well you are really on the wrong forum here......

Try...

www.mercurymarauder.net

That is where the MM drivers really hang out.

This is a very good site for Ford performance. But for Marauder specific info, MM.net is the end of the internet. I frequent both sites. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread