Marine Corps/military worth it?

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
ocs177.jpg

OCC class 177. Started with 70+ in the platoon, graduated with a little less than you see in the pic. Couple guys got launched the last week prior to us getting our EGA. Good times looking back.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
those of you in the Marines, what does it mean that the Corps "screws you?" my friends say that all the time. I thought once you joined you had to play by their rules? then why complain about it so much

CPRsm

those of you in the Marines, what does it mean that the Corps "screws you?" my friends say that all the time. I thought once you joined you had to play by their rules? then why complain about it so much
It's politics. I picked up E2 meritoriously in MCT. Then I picked up Lance at 9months iirc. E4 came down the pipe for our regiment twice. Both times I won the section, then platoon board and was planned to go to the final board. First time, Gunny went on leave and the Plt Sgt decided to send his buddy, who took 3rd behind me instead. Got his ass lit up when Gunny got back, did me no good though. He picked up that Cpl slot, mind you, the guy I already beat. I would have been pinned Cpl with 16 months in. Next time, same thing. Won both boards. Then another marine gets in trouble for having sex with an under age. Master Guns decides to send no one up for the final board from our platoon because we've "embarrassed ourselves." WTF his choice had to do with it was completely beyond me. To rub salt in it, he was not charged with the crime from the USMC or local because he picked her up in a bar, and even then, checked her ID because he thought she looked young. Fake ID, and that's how she got in the bar. Again duped out of what I busted my ass for very hard. That's how you get "screwed" my man. I didn't really complain about it much. I just didn't go above and beyond anymore. I eventually turned down meritorious Sgt. I had had enough and that was a bribe to keep me in.

I have seen guys go to there NJP for a DUI, and come back pinned with their new rank. Another gets 7 and 7 for a DUI on base. While a month later they try to take a different NCO's rank for missing a fat body PT session on a weekend. One guy could have killed one of more people and got nothing, the other missed exercising. I can for quite a while. I've got some great ones.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
It's politics. I picked up E2 meritoriously in MCT. Then I picked up Lance at 9months iirc. E4 came down the pipe for our regiment twice. Both times I won the section, then platoon board and was planned to go to the final board. First time, Gunny went on leave and the Plt Sgt decided to send his buddy, who took 3rd behind me instead. Got his ass lit up when Gunny got back, did me no good though. He picked up that Cpl slot, mind you, the guy I already beat. I would have been pinned Cpl with 16 months in. Next time, same thing. Won both boards. Then another marine gets in trouble for having sex with an under age. Master Guns decides to send no one up for the final board from our platoon because we've "embarrassed ourselves." WTF his choice had to do with it was completely beyond me. To rub salt in it, he was not charged with the crime from the USMC or local because he picked her up in a bar, and even then, checked her ID because he thought she looked young. Fake ID, and that's how she got in the bar. Again duped out of what I busted my ass for very hard. That's how you get "screwed" my man. I didn't really complain about it much. I just didn't go above and beyond anymore. I eventually turned down meritorious Sgt. I had had enough and that was a bribe to keep me in.

I have seen guys go to there NJP for a DUI, and come back pinned with their new rank. Another gets 7 and 7 for a DUI on base. While a month later they try to take a different NCO's rank for missing a fat body PT session on a weekend. One guy could have killed one of more people and got nothing, the other missed exercising. I can for quite a while. I've got some great ones.

Shit is NO different in the Army my friend, there was a running joke in my BN after we got back from a deployment that if you wanted to get rank you gotta get a DUI or an assault charge.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Yes, it's hard, but manageable. Some people just have bad luck and hurt shoulders or legs on long marches or the O-Course. I'm leaving for the Seniors portion of OCS in a little over two weeks from now. As long as you're in good shape, aren't afriad of getting screamed at for screwing up, and are mentally prepared for all the other BS you'll be fine. However, there were more than a few that thought they could make it before they got there and just didn't have the stones to suck it up and finish.

Exactly what he said. As long as you're in good shape (Don't even think about puttin on alot of muscle and getting built, just super lean) and can run and run and run some more, you'll be fine. I was physically pushed but handled it fairly well and knew it was all mental. Unfortunately for me, my leg didn't agree and I got screwed 1 week before graduation.

Make sure you can knock out about 17-20 full dead-hang pull-ups and run your 3 miles in a good 18-19 minutes and you should be okay.
Good stuff. I have until October before i have to take my final PFT so I'm still working on everything like crazy. The only thing i can max out right now is the 100 situps. I can do about 14/15 pullups and i want to be at 20. And the running...yea i need to work on it.
ocs177.jpg

OCC class 177. Started with 70+ in the platoon, graduated with a little less than you see in the pic. Couple guys got launched the last week prior to us getting our EGA. Good times looking back.

Wow, that's a pretty high washout rate! Pretty cool stuff though. What's your opinion on TBS?

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
No matter what anyone tells you, you wouldnt really know till you got in and seen for yourself.
Dont let the disgruntled ones get you down in my own OP I wouldnt trade this for anything.. would I go through with it again? No though.. its not the Corps that really bugs me..its the people in it that do and have always been the problem for me.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Wow, that's a pretty high washout rate! Pretty cool stuff though. What's your opinion on TBS?

Yea, that was pre 9/11. Lot of the guys that didn't make it early just weren't ready to be there. Failure on the OSO's if you ask me. Then you have the guys break physically. Then finally after a few weeks of seriously reduced sleep, food, and just all the physical activity guys will start having trouble with the academics. Not because they are terribly hard, but because you are just mentally tired. Basically the game of OCS is break you down to your worst and see who can still function. Anyone can be moto and perform well when you are well rested and fed. Haha. My tactic for getting through OCS is I was very well physically prepared especially on the running. I did exactly what I was supposed to, nothing more, and absolutely nothing less. I swear my Platoon Sgt and Sergeant Instructors didn't really know who I was until the 7th or 8th week because the platoon started to get so small. By that time I was almost ready to graduate. (1) Show up in the best physical shape you can especially on the running. (2) Don't fail events ----3rd one and you are gone exception being a PFT (Not a first class and I can assure you a one way ticket back to where you came from) . (3) Do shit right and don't take short cuts. Integrity violation is absolutely not tolerated. (4) Stay the hell away from sick call. The sick call platoon begins to look like a Michael Jackson Thriller video by the time you get out of there.

As far as TBS. At the time I did not appreciate the training as much as I should have. It is actually pretty awesome for everyone to get to experience that. Kind of hated it at the time....but guess what it is a taste of what your junior Marines go through when they are new PFC's and Lance Cpl's. Remember that when you have Marines to take care of. I bet the instruction at TBS is a lot better now than when I went through since there are a lot of combat vets from Iraq and Afghanistan the last 10 years. When I was there very few had combat experience. Maybe a handful of guys that maybe did the whole Kosovo thing, couple of Lt Cols who participated in Desert Storm. But basically I had 0180 Adjutant teaching us how to do patrols, haha. Probably not the case anymore. Basically though I should have appreciated TBS more when I was going through.

CPRsm

what's your mos? or is this Branch wide?
I was a Radio Operator. Which, i never really used on to talk. Just set up the networks and antennas. Some custom made ones and power supplies. Loved the job. But in Garrison, it was **** **** games. It was the people for me, no doubt. Couldn't tell you if it was Branch wide. Probably everywhere like SVTcobra said. I used to hear my dad talk about things to my mom when I was a kid about the Navy. But I only got that one duty station,so I don't know. they wanted to promote me if I re-upped and a new duty station. Was told "the whole corp is not like this unit." Problem was I wasn't ready to do another 4 to find out, it was exactly the same everywhere. But like I said, as much as I hated a lot of it I would do it again if I had the choice. There are things the civilian world cannot teach you. You will meet the some of the smartest people you have ever me, and SURELY some of the dumbest while in. There is a commradery (SP?) you cannot find anywhere else. The shit you go through with those guys will make a bond where anyone of them will bend over backwards for you if you need it. Even though on a normal basis you may want to punch them in the face and stab his dog.

Shit is NO different in the Army my friend, there was a running joke in my BN after we got back from a deployment that if you wanted to get rank you gotta get a DUI or an assault charge.
It is weird for sure. NAM's for doing your job, and happy about good cookies. "congrats, you didn't F up bad enough to go to jail, your we're going to reward you with this." LOL

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
That's the general consensus about the military. Most people would do it again if given the choice. Its crazy to see how different people are though about their experiences. Some say its the worst thing in the world but others say they absolutely love it and wouldn't change a thing. That is where I think many people who are considering the military get nervous or w/e about joining since viewpoints vary greatly. People, myself included, want to have a positive experience whether or not we serve because it is time of your life being put towards something and it would be terrible if everday you regret it.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Yea, that was pre 9/11. Lot of the guys that didn't make it early just weren't ready to be there. Failure on the OSO's if you ask me. Then you have the guys break physically. Then finally after a few weeks of seriously reduced sleep, food, and just all the physical activity guys will start having trouble with the academics. Not because they are terribly hard, but because you are just mentally tired. Basically the game of OCS is break you down to your worst and see who can still function. Anyone can be moto and perform well when you are well rested and fed. Haha. My tactic for getting through OCS is I was very well physically prepared especially on the running. I did exactly what I was supposed to, nothing more, and absolutely nothing less. I swear my Platoon Sgt and Sergeant Instructors didn't really know who I was until the 7th or 8th week because the platoon started to get so small. By that time I was almost ready to graduate. (1) Show up in the best physical shape you can especially on the running. (2) Don't fail events ----3rd one and you are gone exception being a PFT (Not a first class and I can assure you a one way ticket back to where you came from) . (3) Do shit right and don't take short cuts. Integrity violation is absolutely not tolerated. (4) Stay the hell away from sick call. The sick call platoon begins to look like a Michael Jackson Thriller video by the time you get out of there.

As far as TBS. At the time I did not appreciate the training as much as I should have. It is actually pretty awesome for everyone to get to experience that. Kind of hated it at the time....but guess what it is a taste of what your junior Marines go through when they are new PFC's and Lance Cpl's. Remember that when you have Marines to take care of. I bet the instruction at TBS is a lot better now than when I went through since there are a lot of combat vets from Iraq and Afghanistan the last 10 years. When I was there very few had combat experience. Maybe a handful of guys that maybe did the whole Kosovo thing, couple of Lt Cols who participated in Desert Storm. But basically I had 0180 Adjutant teaching us how to do patrols, haha. Probably not the case anymore. Basically though I should have appreciated TBS more when I was going through.

Wow, lots of good info! Thanks alot man and hopefully i can be where you're at in the near future!

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Wow, lots of good info! Thanks alot man and hopefully i can be where you're at in the near future!

Sure thing. If you have any other questions let me know. Especially if you are trying to go aviation contract. I can touch on other MOS's as well though. Spent pretty much my whole career in the fleet, except for the training at the beginning (OCS-TBS-Flight School). Couple of MEU's to Iraq both with aviation Squadron and as a Forward Air Controller in a grunt unit. Did some joint stuff with the Air Force and Army in Iraq. Then a couple of trips over to Iraq and Afghanistan as a pilot again. Now going to be an instructor at the training Squadron for pilots just out of flight school to instruct them how to fly their first Fleet aircraft. Tell you this, time goes by fast. Seems like yesterday I was just starting all this. Now more than halfway towards retirement.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Flyin, I have a question regaurding an Aviation MOS. I heard there is something called an AG contract which is an Enlisted Air Crew contract where after all the schooling one becomes a part of the crew on a helo or a fixed wing(kc-130j). Do you know if the air craft you get put is based partially on eye sight? I heard that if you didn't have 20/20 (uncorrected) you'd be placed on a fixed wing crew and most likely being a loadmaster. (something which I find very interesting since Its a very necessary MOS). How has your experience been as a Pilot in the USMC?

boduke0220

Established Member
All the infantry ( thats all i talked to since thats the MOS i wanted/got) said life is pretty decent unless you have a retarded NCO. My reason for joining is because im fasinated with the military, and hate college and have always liked messing with guns. and really wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself, and also wanted to have some money instead of being broke all the time lol.

but do it for yourself not for anyone else.

Last edited:

saleensc281

Established Member
If you like working ungodly hours for sometimes no reason at all. If you like dealing with chuckleheded soldiers. If you like to play the hurry up and wait game. If you like putting up with some of the most extreme BS you will ever encounter, then guess what my friend the military is for you.....enjoy.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
If you like working ungodly hours for sometimes no reason at all. If you like dealing with chuckleheded soldiers. If you like to play the hurry up and wait game. If you like putting up with some of the most extreme BS you will ever encounter, then guess what my friend the military is for you.....enjoy.

Don't need to be in the military to find that. That's just life in general.

CPRsm

YEP. But for some reason it's different for me on the outside. Having the ability to give the finger and walk away does wonders on the mind. Even if you never do it, the ability makes it easier to swallow shit sometimes. It tends to be a little less thick when they know if they push too hard, they will be looking for another employee lol.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member

Yeah, its life in general but the military has its perks. You are always going to deal with a dickhead whos over you at some point in time, but in reality while you are enlisted you have leeway if you are in a leadership position. I thought that it would be better as a civilian cause i wouldnt have to deal with peoples shit as much. Its the exact opposite. In the military you HAVE to do what you are told, there isnt any getting around it or you will get burned, in the civilian world people skate so much while you gotta pick up the slack and then they bitch about that! Nowadays if you hurt someones feelings you can get into trouble. Hell you cant even say "hey you lazy shit bum pick up that sledge and start doing something" at my work without getting a call from a supervisor saying," you gotta be nice to Andre" blah blah blah. At least in the Army if someone pissed you off or was slacking doing a task you could make them do PT or some other form of corrective training. Your hands are still tied but they are tied in a different way if you get what im saying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread