Marine Corps vet loses battle to display two flags outside his retirement home.

Yossarian_Lives

Established Member
I've seen this happen before. I'm sorry, but the vet is in the wrong because the community by-laws clearly state that only one flag is allowed to be flown. Doesn't matter who he was, he still has to follow the rules of the place he lives in.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I agree. It's a pretty dick thing to do to him BUT they can't make changes for one guy just because he was a Marine Vet. Then they'd have to make changes for every other "special" Tom, Dick and Harry.

He is doing what he should do, move to a community that will allow it.

It still doesn't take away from the ridiculousness of a lot of HOA dictators.

Svt Fox

Established Member
Despicable.

I hope the HOA enjoy the freedom to hassle this Veteran. Be reminded, that freedom was provided by those same flags.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Rules are rules, Marines of all people should implicitly understand this. Off the record, they should allow him to fly his flags. Maybe they can have flag week, the residence can fly their flags if they choose to do so. Can't there be a compromise?

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Why do people feel the need to bitch about rules that they agreed to? Don't like it, move (which is what he's doing, but let's bitch about it anyway).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sad on the one hand but totally understandable on the other. As others have said, he knew, or should have known, the rules. Now he has moved so he can display the flags he is proud of.

Svt Fox

Established Member
It would be hilarious if someone, in the middle of the night, blanketed the neighborhood mailboxes with mini American flags!

It would look like the neighborhoods did, shortly after 9/11. :)

Patriotism should not be a fad.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
They didn't say he couldn't run the American flag, they said he couldn't run both. You can still be patriotic without flying the Marine Corp flag. Change them around periodically. He is retired... he is probably sitting at home watching the history channel, pulling the hair from out of his ears or watching birds out the window. Run the american 1/2 the day and the Marine Corp the other part.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Rules are rules, I don't get the grief the HOA is getting.

Read and understand before you sign, it's that simple.

Coiled03

Established Member
Would've been nice to see the rest of the neighborhood rally behind him to ask for a change to the HOA.

But, if they don't want to, he doesn't have much of a case.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Would've been nice to see the rest of the neighborhood rally behind him to ask for a change to the HOA.

But, if they don't want to, he doesn't have much of a case.

But then Philis gets pissed because she can't fly her flag with a cat playing with a yarn ball beside her pink flamingos lawn ornament. Why does he get special privileges and she doesn't?

Coiled03

Established Member
But then Philis gets pissed because she can't fly her flag with a cat playing with a yarn ball beside her pink flamingos lawn ornament. Why does he get special privileges and she doesn't?

Umm - he doesn't get special priviliges.

I was only suggesting they change the rule if everyone in the neighborhood was behind it, including Philis and her flag with a cat playing with a yarn ball beside her pink flamingos lawn ornament.

Kinda hard to claim he's getting special privilige if everybody else backs him up.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Umm - he doesn't get special priviliges.

I was only suggesting they change the rule if everyone in the neighborhood was behind it, including Philis and her flag with a cat playing with a yarn ball beside her pink flamingos lawn ornament.

Kinda hard to claim he's getting special privilige if everybody else backs him up.

You weren't seeing the point...

If everyone backs him up for change, then why shouldn't they back everyone else up who wants to change the rules. It would cause issues. Everyone believes their case is rightful.

I'm sure he isn't the only veteran in the neighborhood. He's probably the only one making a fuss about it.

Users who are viewing this thread