Mark viii into a 98gt

Jrrycurl

Established Member
Need some help. 98gt blown head gasket bought a mark engine...need to know what all needs to be swapped for a clean install. Engine came out of a 98 mark pretty sure....and incase it came out of a 96 what am I looking at....engine came out of a automatic as well...any info appreciated...thanks

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Will need the engine harness the computer.

Not really. He can use the 98 GT harness and 98 GT computer with a tune. Makes life a little easier.

If its indeed a 98 Mark 8 engine, the upper intake will be like a Cobra with the throttle body on the passenger side. If its a 96 Mark 8 engine, the Throttle body is at the back of the intake and its better to get a 98 mark 8 manifold or a 96-98 Cobra intake manifold.

Think of it as a straightforward engine swap.

This is a good link to read and get ideas from:
Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT. - MustangForums.com

If you have more questions about the swap, just ask.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
So I need an intake, and a tune...cams are fine?

Stock mark 8 cams are fine. They did help promote a little more low end power compared to the Cobra cams, since the Marks were heavier.
You can always change them out later on if you must.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
Very cool swap!

Post pics if you can. If you need help with that PM me.

Leave it stick looking and tell everyone it's just a non PI GT...:lol:;-)

Jonesy98

Established Member
ive done this and recently got tuned. mine is a 98gt/auto car. all i did was swap motors, swapped mark viii cams/intake for cobra intake and cams. had to extend some wires (tps, iac, coils) while i was at it i deleted the imrc's cause 98gt cannont control them in the pcm, also i eleminated the knock sensors. again no provision for them. i put long tubes, deleted egr also 4.30s and thru the auto it made 271@6150 and 262@4800.... its an animal imo. future mods im planning is either turboing this setup or c-head swapping then turboing...

Jrrycurl

Established Member
Damn good! Predicate all the help... I'm in the process of pulling the gt...so I'll try and post pics this weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread