Market Driven..So To Speak

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Not really anything new since this among other ideas have popped up from insurance companies,

On a side note, I have considered getting one of the OBD II scanners from Progressive for a rate quote...but I plan on using it in a rather spirited fashion. I assume many laughs will be had with the quote such driving style would warrant.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Not really anything new since this among other ideas have popped up from insurance companies,

On a side note, I have considered getting one of the OBD II scanners from Progressive for a rate quote...but I plan on using it in a rather spirited fashion. I assume many laughs will be had with the quote such driving style would warrant.
I hope your right, but when a major insurance player invests in such nonsense you have to wonder if there be won't be something to it...at some point.

God, they'd throw me in prison if they ever put one of those systems in my Cobra. Not that I'm a bad or aggressive driver, buy I "kill" countless text & drivers in my commute every day. Like swearing ...rolling down the window and telling them off. I can hear that premium meter running right now.

starnsey

Established Member
Uh **** that. Likely another thing that someone just wants to patent as a "just in case" and won't ever come to fruition. But **** any company thinking that a consumer wants to be spied on and blackmailing the rest of us with higher insurance rates.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Nope I will not be a part of that, another reason I will not be going back to State Farm.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No like!

I let Allstate talk me into trying one of their plug-in monitors because it was going to give me a nice discount. I had it installed for three days and then removed it (keeping my premium unchanged). The reason being that in those those days I NEVER hit the brakes any harder than normal. Normal on the soft side. And yet their daily report showed I hit the brakes hard 4-5 times, and had I continued with the monitoring I'm sure after a week that they'd probably increase my rates. Bottom line is that IMO these monitors are not as accurate as most think. I refuse to let my rate discount be tied to an imperfect "monitor". Not long thereafter I dropped Allstate and switched to USAA (lower rate and much better customer service).

Famine

Established Member
People should fight any form of that in every way that they can whenever it rears its head. I would leave any insurance company offering that.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The funny thing about stuff like this is the race for autonomous driving is going to turn the automotive insurance companies obsolete. If im not driving my car, especially if others arent either, what am I carrying insurance for? Sure petty theft and such, but you wouldnt need to cover me as a driver anymore. If anything, the manufacturers will need insurance to cover possible accidents/fatalities due to any potential shortfalls in their programming, but considering the google car has still yet to be in an accident that it was at-fault and it drives so timid, I doubt this will ever occur.

Simple solution drop Farmers if you have them as an insurance company. If enough people do it they would quickly scrap this before it even had a chance to take off.

The problem is the majority of drivers would jump for a chance of a device like this if it helps reduce their rates based on their lame/lethargic/oblivious/pokey ass driving habits or people with little commutes.

Me? **** you insurance, ill drive a pos $500 neon without insurance before doing that.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
The funny thing about stuff like this is the race for autonomous driving is going to turn the automotive insurance companies obsolete. If im not driving my car, especially if others arent either, what am I carrying insurance for? Sure petty theft and such, but you wouldnt need to cover me as a driver anymore. If anything, the manufacturers will need insurance to cover possible accidents/fatalities due to any potential shortfalls in their programming, but considering the google car has still yet to be in an accident that it was at-fault and it drives so timid, I doubt this will ever occur.

The problem is the majority of drivers would jump for a chance of a device like this if it helps reduce their rates based on their lame/lethargic/oblivious/pokey ass driving habits or people with little commutes.

Me? **** you insurance, ill drive a pos $500 neon without insurance before doing that.

Their car was in an accident the other day, which they say they have some fault. It shows what happens when you have humans and machines sharing the road. You can't have a program try to predict how people will react.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...esponsibility-after-self-driving-car-hit-bus/

As to the beater with no insurance, you will be in a world of hurt if you're ever in an accident, not to mention it's a great way to lose your license...

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Worst part is I'd have to avoid listening to Eazy-E or Dr. Dre. My premiums would be off the charts....

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Their car was in an accident the other day, which they say they have some fault. It shows what happens when you have humans and machines sharing the road. You can't have a program try to predict how people will react.

I was just going to touch on this, all this self driving stuff is going to be great until someone hacks the system and causes a 40 car pile up also. I cring thinking when that day arrives and then good old congress has to have a hearing on what went wrong and how to best fix it.

Famine

Established Member
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...esponsibility-after-self-driving-car-hit-bus/

As to the beater with no insurance, you will be in a world of hurt if you're ever in an accident, not to mention it's a great way to lose your license...

I wish the world would give that shit up as well. We are inventing our world out of jobs. If robots do everything, then what will humans do?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I wish the world would give that shit up as well. We are inventing our world out of jobs. If robots do everything, then what will humans do?

As a species we're selfish with very little foresight. We only focus on what makes things better for us and only us, to hell with everyone else. The consequences don't become painfully obvious until we're in too deep. Sanders has built a campaign on this "logic".

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

So......no different than the thousands of other illegals driving around with no insurance or license lol

Someone still has to produce and engineer the robots. We are inventing ourselves out of the necessity for unskilled labor though, but weve been doing that for centuries.

If you arent into progress, im sure some tribe in africa will be happy to have you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread