Massachusetts Inspections suck

snkbit99

Established Member
I go to get my car inspected today at the local Speedy Oil. The car has been off the road for a while. Speedy is right down the street and my sticker was almost a year out of date. They tell me no problem but will be a little while. I wait about twenty minutes when the tech comes and gets me. He tells me he can not inspect my car because the exhaust is not factory. I have a Magnaflow cat back. Every thing else is stock. He tells me they got in trouble for passing a inport with non factory exhaust. So I go home and put on the factory cat back. When I bring it back they inspect it. The tech tells me he removed my Duggan racing tag frame and put it on the seat. Massachusetts has passed a law that says there can not be anything on or around the plate. No wonder people are moving out of the state so fast.:mj:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
They removed my plate frame on my GT500, and used the same screws to drill the plate back in, now I cant get them out because they are like 1 3/4 screws! ****ers!

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
i never had owned a car that actually passed in MA when I lived there. No matter if my car was stock with brand new parts in it. I can't say this will encourage me to move back there.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
Rhode island isnt much better with there BS emissions crap. RI has to be the worst state known to man.

snkbit99

Established Member
Mass was pretty bad when they had the dyno's. It used to take for ever and a day to get an inspection done. They keep changing every thing and there still is unsafe vehicles out there. They need to go after those vehicles. I am surprised the shops put up with the states b.s. Now trailers over 10,000 lbs that are commercially registered need state inspection stickers. It's $29 for the sticker but each shop can charge what they want to do the inspection.
What a great system.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
umm since October I think...

hmm didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like when it's time to throw a fat bean can on my car i'll have to take it by my friends shop.

i kid i kid:lol1:

snakebitten13

Established Member
This is gonna be a huge problem for quite a few people, for instence one of My Saleen's came from the factory with Borla exhaust. So that would be an aftermarket exhaust that came from the factory on the car, or for instance a Cobra R or Roush, how do they solve this problem now?

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
since when is it illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust?

It's always been a law in this state but never enforced unless the cop wants to bust ya bad. 98% look the other way.

The license plate bracket thing is stupid. Surprised they haven't tried banning trucks or SUV's yet in this state

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My 03 Cobra is up for inspection and I have a Magnaflow catback on it.
They never bothered me about exhaust before?
I was told to take off clear plastic license plate covers thou.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
your first mistake was bringing it to speedy for anything....those guys don't know shit about anything.

All you have to do is ask around, find a shop or station that's mod friendly and you won't have any issues.

snkbit99

Established Member
Speedy was very close and my sticker was way past due. My normal garage is 30 plus miles away. If the state is cracking down on places like that. Independant shops won't be far behind. Both of theses issues are ridicules. The cat back is a magnaflow and it isn't even that loud. Its not like I had changed any thing else. Factory manifolds and H pipe. New Hampshire is looking way better.

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
the did change the state inspection guidlines at the end of last year. all the new changed went into effect on 10/01/08. we take off licnese plate frames and covers all the time here at work. none of the wording on the license plate can be covered, including the spirit of america script on the bottom of the plate. front liciense plates also have to be mounted to the car (no more zip ties)

jeffl9682

Established Member
we do stickers at my shop and the only way the plate frame is illegal is if it covers the edges to much, like for example if you cant read "massachusetts" or the "spirit of america" things like that. as long as you can read that and also the month and sticker on the top right you should be fine. only plus is any car under 95 doesnt need emissions, safety only.

jeff

Users who are viewing this thread