Massachusetts Inspections suck

snakebitten13

Established Member
the did change the state inspection guidlines at the end of last year. all the new changed went into effect on 10/01/08. we take off licnese plate frames and covers all the time here at work. none of the wording on the license plate can be covered, including the spirit of america script on the bottom of the plate. front liciense plates also have to be mounted to the car (no more zip ties)

Gotta be able to read the mouth of exp, ie sept,oct

thats why there enforcing it.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
I lived there before all the BS...back in the time of "test pipes" and relaxed "visual safety inspections"!!!

:beer:

Later...Dave

bigjohnson4.6gt

Street Menace
Established Member
fuller on rt 20 in auburn is probably the worst i have seen. My dad brought his caddy there, had to strip off all the tint, then remove the license plate bracket, which led to them rejecting it because they said the green plate wasnt readable when it was very readable, then wrong location on the new plates. On the other hand though if you just bought a new car and need an absolute thorough inspection done on it, these are the guys. They even check to make sure each seatbelt works

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
i dunno, I haven't had a front plate on my car for years..nor do I have high beams and I pass with no issues. Just gotta know the right people

chuckstang

Established Member
I gota do mine this August and my guy and place I used to went out of business

:(

I am worried

no front plate- check
illegal tint- check
plate frame- check
no mufflers- check

But if someone other than me touches my car without my consent, I will sue, simple as that.

I usually watch them the entire time.

I am just going to have my Ford dealer do it, I figure they wont fail me, since I spend so much time and money there and if they do, Im done with them.

I have never had issues in the past and I dont intend to!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
thats what you get for going to speedy...:lol:

those laws have always been here....they just got harder on the inspection stations. lots of "friendly's" out there...just ask around

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I go to get my car inspected today at the local Speedy Oil. The car has been off the road for a while. Speedy is right down the street and my sticker was almost a year out of date. They tell me no problem but will be a little while. I wait about twenty minutes when the tech comes and gets me. He tells me he can not inspect my car because the exhaust is not factory. I have a Magnaflow cat back. Every thing else is stock. He tells me they got in trouble for passing a inport with non factory exhaust. So I go home and put on the factory cat back. When I bring it back they inspect it. The tech tells me he removed my Duggan racing tag frame and put it on the seat. Massachusetts has passed a law that says there can not be anything on or around the plate. No wonder people are moving out of the state so fast.:mj:

MA sucked for inspections - you just have to find a place from word of mouth that goes easy on cars like ours. Hell, I walk in and he prints the sticker.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
LOL yesterday I saw a car with a few Boston Police stickers on it, and those black stickers with the blue stripe going through it on the window, AND he had a plate frame and a plastic cover over the plate.

chuckstang

Established Member
LOL yesterday I saw a car with a few Boston Police stickers on it, and those black stickers with the blue stripe going through it on the window, AND he had a plate frame and a plastic cover over the plate.

those police, fire, and army and vet and so on stickers are a big scam

People put them on there car because police alot of times will ignore you or go easy on you

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
those police, fire, and army and vet and so on stickers are a big scam

People put them on there car because police alot of times will ignore you or go easy on you

it is a scam....no one is special in my book...

snkbit99

Established Member
My union stickers have gotten me out of tickets before. Professional curtesey.
Police do not like to find out you have stickers for organizations you are not a member of. That will more than likely still get you a ticket. Plus technically it is illegal.

DOHCfan98

Established Member
hey guys, fellow Mass resident here and about to purchase a 1998 Cobra. So its illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust even if it meets emissions and sound requirements?

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
haha my friend drives a 99 Civic hatch. He has a few things done to it. Its lowered, has a very quiet Apexi exhaust on it, and he has yellow HID's. He got pulled over last week in Boston and got a ticket for having "Altered height, aftermarket exhaust, and HID's" Its a 70 dollar ticket. I think its complete BS that he got a ticket for that if you ask me...

DOHCfan98

Established Member
i dont if anybody has ever seen "True Life: Im a street racer" but its about all of these ricer kids who street race and a few got pulled over and the cop cited them with such violations as "illegal headlight color" and "illegal headlight beam hight" or some bs like that. And howcome lowered cars get pulled over but people with 12 inch lift kits dont get cited.

chuckstang

Established Member
I just got my grandmothers car inspected

wow this thread is legit, holy crap have things changed for the worse

First off, I got shit because my plates had frames. Given to her by the dealrship she bought it from but somehow that is illegal because you cant see the writing on the bottom which is completely irelevant to anything at all.

It failed for some 02 sensors, but I paid him $20 cash on top of the regular fee and he passed me anyway. What a crock of shit

I'm going to get testy if I have issues with my car

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I just got my grandmothers car inspected

wow this thread is legit, holy crap have things changed for the worse

First off, I got shit because my plates had frames. Given to her by the dealrship she bought it from but somehow that is illegal because you cant see the writing on the bottom which is completely irelevant to anything at all.

It failed for some 02 sensors, but I paid him $20 cash on top of the regular fee and he passed me anyway. What a crock of shit

I'm going to get testy if I have issues with my car

how did it fail for o2's but then passed? an o2 failure would be through the obdII plug in (if its newer). you cant just "pass it".

just t ake your car the the dealer, didnt they instal all the mods?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
haha my friend drives a 99 Civic hatch. He has a few things done to it. Its lowered, has a very quiet Apexi exhaust on it, and he has yellow HID's. He got pulled over last week in Boston and got a ticket for having "Altered height, aftermarket exhaust, and HID's" Its a 70 dollar ticket. I think its complete BS that he got a ticket for that if you ask me...

you guys dont understand there are so many "BS" laws in the books. its just who you bump into at the time and what the specific officer wants to do. this is also why we have the appeal system. if your friend got a citation or those 3 things he got a break. height, exhaust and lights would be $35 a piece...so $105 total

everyone brakes the law everyday. its just a matter of getting cited for it. for example...

fail to report change of address to rmv in 30 days
drink or eat while driving
allowing engine to run while unattended
using fog lights when not necessary
blowing horn unnecessarily

and many many more.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
you guys dont understand there are so many "BS" laws in the books. its just who you bump into at the time and what the specific officer wants to do. this is also why we have the appeal system. if your friend got a citation or those 3 things he got a break. height, exhaust and lights would be $35 a piece...so $105 total

everyone brakes the law everyday. its just a matter of getting cited for it. for example...

fail to report change of address to rmv in 30 days
drink or eat while driving
allowing engine to run while unattended
using fog lights when not necessary
blowing horn unnecessarily

and many many more.

It really is such a joke. I got pulled over after an unmarked state trooper cut me off going twice the speed limit on an on-ramp and he almost gave me a ticket for having my fog lights on when the weather didn't permit it. But he didn't say a thing about my tint. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread