Max mileage outta the 5.4

Chadwick0585

Established Member
Hey, im lookin to buy another Lightning,

im the one that rolled 6 times from that damn deer:cuss:

ive found another lightning its a 99 with 70k miles on it.... and was just curious whats the max amount of mileage do u think u can get outta one of these supercharged trucks.....considering u have a pretty heavy foot:thumbsup:

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
i have been getting in the area of 12.5 mpg. where are you getting the 99 from? is it the red one that was sitting at Thurstons Premier Auto?

Chadwick0585

Established Member
ya, i was lookin at that one.....and im not talking about MPG, im talking about the TOTAL miles, how many MILES are these engines made to last???

bcz i dont wanna buy it now at 70k and have it blow up at 80k lol.....which is why i was wondering whats the limit to these motors.

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
LightningMAS said:
get a 03/04 low miles.. that 99 with highmiles probably went thru hell from previous owner.

yeah what he said... I was lucky enough to find an 04 Lightning with 14k miles... I am not regretting it one bit :pepper:

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
Chadwick0585 said:
ya, i was lookin at that one.....and im not talking about MPG, im talking about the TOTAL miles, how many MILES are these engines made to last???

bcz i dont wanna buy it now at 70k and have it blow up at 80k lol.....which is why i was wondering whats the limit to these motors.
i took a look at that truck when i was over there. i have some good friends that work at Thurstons. i know for a fact that truck was raced on a few different occasions. i would stay away from it for the simple fact that a CarFax report wont tell you the day to day trials that truck went through with the origional driver.

see if you can find a new L with less miles on it. i figure you could get will into the 100k+ range as long as the truck is taken care of.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about miles aslong as it has been taken care of. I have a low mileage truck but I wouldn't have ignored a higher mileage truck if it was well taken care of outside and under the hood.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
If it was maintained you will be fine.
There is a guy on this board with something like 140k on it and it runs like a top

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Lightningfr said:
who has gotten the most out of their L
im an 04 i got 60k 0 problems
If you do a search there is a thread that has just about everyone's milage from about 3 months ago. Dont recall who started it tho

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
When theres high miles involved, its all about how the previous owner took care of it, if it had regular service all the time then miles arent really a issue, if you could find a stock non modded one then you got hooked. I found a stock 03 with 17xxx kms, not miles. I didnt wanna buy a modded one, cause i was kinda sketchy bout it, and i really wanted to do the bolt on's myself, i feel better doing it that way, and it gives me something to do.

SonicBolt

Can't stop whining!
Established Member
ra1nmakr said:
i took a look at that truck when i was over there. i have some good friends that work at Thurstons. i know for a fact that truck was raced on a few different occasions. i would stay away from it for the simple fact that a CarFax report wont tell you the day to day trials that truck went through with the origional driver.

see if you can find a new L with less miles on it. i figure you could get will into the 100k+ range as long as the truck is taken care of.

I was in Florida for the Halloween weekend and I stopped by Thurstons... I drove the red Lightning they had there and it was a POS! The SES light was on, warped rotors, torn/cut interior, very dirty, just plain uncared for... They also had a C5 with some miles I test drove. It had nice rims forgot what kind. But that L was a pos imo. So I would stay away from it. I also stopped by Blacks and man did they have some sweet stangs there!

Last edited:

Black00Bolt

Come get some!!
Established Member
SonicBolt said:
I also stopped by Blacks and man did they have some sweet stangs there!
+1 Blacks is the place to go,they had a black and a silver L over there last week. not sure of the years

Last edited:

o0QuikSilver0o

Established Member
Lord Tauk said:
I wouldn't worry about miles aslong as it has been taken care of. I have a low mileage truck but I wouldn't have ignored a higher mileage truck if it was well taken care of outside and under the hood.
Yeah I agree with you.. You can find the lower milage ones but the thing is did he put them miles on 1/4 mile increments :D

Chadwick0585

Established Member
ra1nmakr said:

ya that ones been ran before alot?....did u know the guy who ran it/or any mods?

Users who are viewing this thread