Max RWHP for cats

stop2go41

Established Member
I recently got into a GT500 from a Termi. The question is at what point am I just going to blow cats out? The car is sitting just under 700 rwhp. I am asking as the car has stock manifolds and a hollowed out mid pipe. I was going to get headers but not sure if I want to bother. I don't need more power I was looking to lower my current boost level as well (running a VMP TVS @ just under 21lbs).

nrmustang

Established Member
When you say hollowed out mid-pipe, are you talking your cats are already hollowed out?

I'm at 645rwhp, and everybodys telling me I'm pushing it. But I started a thread a while ago were a bunch of guys said they're running mid 6xx's with stock cats no problem. So...:shrug:

stop2go41

Established Member
yes the cats are hollowed so it looks like they are there but they are not... Guess I will get an off road set up then have a catted for inspections...

Harry08

Established Member
Check out the Kenne Bell website under tech articles. Some very interesting reading on this subject.

nrmustang

Established Member
Check out the Kenne Bell website under tech articles. Some very interesting reading on this subject.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/MustangCatalyticConverters.pdf

If so, they don't address one bit the fact that these can melt and plug up, and potentially pop your motor. I wanted to keep my stock cats in place for a number of reasons. But going from a Terminator to a GT500 recently myself, it seems that if you want to play with the big numbers, then you're most likely going to go catless. Like it or not.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Surely there must be cats that handle large exhaust flow... What about some of the crazy high HP supercars, Buggati, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.?

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
My cats lasted less than one year at 14.5 PSI (KB 2.8 with a 3.25" pulley and Kenne Bell tune).

nxhappy

Established Member
the cats were only designed for low boost at stock levels. You start cranking up the boost you are playing with fire. might as well get rid of the cats if you run any sort of smaller pulley or aftermarket blower.

plus you lose horsepower in 2 ways. the cat protection DUMPS fuel to keep them cooler, which makes the car rich, and in return you loose power. You also lose power because it is a restriction in the exhaust flow. With long tubes and off road pipe the system will breathe much better.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
Make sure you guys running tunes and cats have the COT turned "on" in the tune otherwise you'll melt 'em... ask me how I know :)

moncho

Established Member
yes the tuner adds the cat protection. which dumps fuel to cool them off. in return you lose power.

Wonder how significant the power loss is?

Anyone running an FRPP 2.9 Whipple would probably know as I understand CAT protection is built into the tune.

Mainn

Established Member
Wonder how significant the power loss is?

Anyone running an FRPP 2.9 Whipple would probably know as I understand CAT protection is built into the tune.

Not very. 15-20rwhp at the very most, and even that's slightly optimistic.

PrestonJ

Established Member
For those of us that can't pass inspection without cats (as far as I'm aware) how feasible is it to have a modular exhaust system where the cats could be removed/reinstalled when necessary?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
For those of us that can't pass inspection without cats (as far as I'm aware) how feasible is it to have a modular exhaust system where the cats could be removed/reinstalled when necessary?
Running what Kooks calls " green " cats on both cars, ( N.J. is an inspection state ), my 11 passed N.J. inspection last July with these cats.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
ARH has such a system. I would think all header manufacturers have a catted and non-catted mid pipe that could be swapped out. It's not likely to be a cheap solution.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
ARH has such a system. I would think all header manufacturers have a catted and non-catted mid pipe that could be swapped out. It's not likely to be a cheap solution.

I have a catted h on my ARH. Wasn't much extra for the cat delete pipes to throw on for dyno or track days.

Users who are viewing this thread