Maximum Motorsports K-Member

SnowMan

Established Member
Has anyone asked MM why they dont fix their K-Member, so you dont have to use a oil filter relocation kit? Seems like it should be a simple thing.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Has anyone asked MM why they dont fix their K-Member, so you dont have to use a oil filter relocation kit? Seems like it should be a simple thing.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The geometric design of the K may be compromised with this design modification, so the engineers may have just deemed it more harmful to the performance than financially beneficial to the customer.

You gotta pay to play in the modification world.

Jroc

Established Member
The relocated oil filter should make it much easier to change.

BWH2003

Established Member
Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The geometric design of the K may be compromised with this design modification, so the engineers may have just deemed it more harmful to the performance than financially beneficial to the customer.

You gotta pay to play in the modification world.

The other k members dont have this issue and as far as I know they have not had one failure. It seems to me MM is just unwilling to change a simple thing. Possibly it allows them to sell the oil relocate kit.

Not trying to down MM but why pay money for an aftermarket part that makes you buy parts you dont really need. Especially when other k members net the same result without requiring extra parts. Seems like a waste of money.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
The other k members dont have this issue and as far as I know they have not had one failure. It seems to me MM is just unwilling to change a simple thing. Possibly it allows them to sell the oil relocate kit.

Not trying to down MM but why pay money for an aftermarket part that makes you buy parts you dont really need. Especially when other k members net the same result without requiring extra parts. Seems like a waste of money.

It is a road race oriented K member with altered geometry. If you don't like it don't buy it. The only reason you need to relocate the oil filter in a Cobra is because Cobras have oil coolers. Other mustangs dont have this problem, and this is why they don't redesign it.

You can save significant money by NOT buying the filter relocation hardware from MM. They are Canton parts, MM just resells them.

Last edited:

SnowMan

Established Member
Thanks for the input. LargeOrangeFont is correct, the 03-04's have oil coolers and that is why you need the filter kit. While it may be better made,(and that is also up for debate) the geometry is not much different than anything else. After all a mustang is a mustang and a Kmember is a Kmember. Its just this chassis has been around since what, 1984 or so? Not sure when MM started their business, but they probably designed it back then sometime. When the 4.6 came in '96 they probably redesigned it slightly, but not much. It would just be cool if they had a cobra version.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Thanks for the input. LargeOrangeFont is correct, the 03-04's have oil coolers and that is why you need the filter kit. While it may be better made,(and that is also up for debate) the geometry is not much different than anything else. After all a mustang is a mustang and a Kmember is a Kmember. Its just this chassis has been around since what, 1984 or so? Not sure when MM started their business, but they probably designed it back then sometime. When the 4.6 came in '96 they probably redesigned it slightly, but not much. It would just be cool if they had a cobra version.

Ohhhhh, really? "Geometry [that] is not much different than anything else" sure sounds like something a suspension engineer would say. In fact, that's probably the calculated logic behind their carefully designed, tested, and proven road racing K-member...

Chassis and suspension design isn't about ballparks and guestimations. It involves mathematics, physics, and a vast knowledge of manufacturing capabilities and material strength. Even still, a design can be a flop. However, this unit has been tested over and over by people that use and abuse Mustangs on a track for many years. They don't seem to mind.

Why, oh suspension engineer of the future, do you want this K-member in the first place?

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member

The geometry is quite different. It extends the wheelbase by .75 in. and also moves the steering rack and suspension arm placement. The suspension arms can be run in 2 different locations depending on your desired ride height.

The K member has been around longer than the 03/04 Cobra but not since 96.

SnowMan

Established Member
I didnt realize that all the Kmembers made for our chassis were so vastly different. When I looked at QA1, UPR, MM, Griggs and everybody else they all seemed very similar. I just figured that since you could take each one and install it on the same car that it would fit. I guess I was wrong, thanks for correcting me. My only regret now is asking the question in the first place. I should have just stuck with the "How big of tire can you fit on a stock wheel" question.

SnowMan

Established Member
As for the age of the chassis, I was wrong about that also. I said 1984 or so, but it is actually 1979. MM offers Kmembers for 1979-95 cars and the 1996-04 cars. The difference being the 5.0 and 4.6 motors, not the chassis. I need to brush up on my facts. Thanks for keeping me straight guys, Im slipping in my old age.

Users who are viewing this thread