McGuier's NXT Wax - BAD Experience

Cobra-O

Established Member
Updated with pics below......

Please help, last night I washed and waxed the car with this stuff, brand new bottle. 65 Deg and 35% humidity. I buffed with cotten terry cloths. The car is a disaster, it is streaky all over the car. Last night I didn't think it was that bad, but when I saw it this morning, :fm: :nonono: .

It seemed to go on very uneven no matter what I did. now it looks like streaks of darker waxed paint and lighter paint with no wax.

Should I do another coat? Anyone else have problems with this stuff? Before this bottle, I was using the "Gold", and that stuff was awesome, perfect finish.

Should I use Dawn and just start from scratch? I could not have done any damage, could I? I wish I could take some pictures, but the camera is in the shop.

Sorry for rambeling, I am just very frustrated and dissapointed.

Aaron

Last edited:

mtb01

Established Member
This is hard for me to believe because I just waxed mine two weeks ago with NXT and Loved it. Did you have the applicator that cam with the wax or did you just use a towel. To me it was easy on and off. If it were me I would put another coat on and see how it looks. My car is black as well. Sorry you had a bad experience with it. Send it back and get your money back. Hope it looks better.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
did mine on sat. washed the car first, then the wax, buffed right off. even brought the front and rear bumpers back to color.
i love the stuff.
sorry your exp was bad

93Snake

How thick did you apply it?

it sounds to me like you didn't give it enough time to cure or possibly did you apply it in direct sunlight?

Cobra-O

Established Member
Applied in the shade, with the applicator. Plenty of time to cure, probably an hour in some spots. It was not that thick, but it just seemed to go on so uneven. I am going to take some pictures of it tonight and if I can get it to show up in the photos, I'll post them.

thanks for the advise. I think I am going to "Dawn" it and start over, after I get some pictures to send to McGuires. I've never had a problem with any other products.

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
1badsnake said:
How thick did you apply it?

it sounds to me like you didn't give it enough time to cure or possibly did you apply it in direct sunlight?

not to thick, i always keep the pad a little wet. i just squeeze some on the car, let it come to a haze and buff away.

93Snake

I was asking the guy who had problems lol..I've had wonderful results with NXT.

cobra fan- I wouldn't let the stuff sit any longer then 15-20 minutes or it will be a PITA to buff off. I experimented with that awhile ago and got similar results with streaking and what not. I dont know when the last time you claybar'd but thats how I'd strip the wax off instead of using dawn if you haven't done it in awhile. I've found the gloss or duability of NXT doesn't seem to change if you let it sit longer, I'm not sure if thats how all sythetic waxes are.. But if defintley appears to be the case with NXT. I know with carnubas it's the opposite as I've always had better results with letting the product sit longer, But defintley not with NXT

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Worst thing I've run into it is that it is really sensitive to temp. I'm not impressed with it by any means, the shine is greasy, and it has no color pop, it dulls the color IMHO. It is easy to get off with good temperature. But other than that, it sucks:shrug:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I do sections of the car and had no problems. I love it! I think you let it cure too long and are just having trouble removing it.

93Snake

I think the stuff kicks some serious butt.. I've used a bunch of different waxes this is one of my favorites out on the market. there is a paste form out now to :pepper:

index.php

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
good lookin ride :beer:

but the bad thing is i cant keep a beer on the trunk during the waxing process, keeps sliding :-D

02SonicBlueGT

Established Member
I've always had good luck with NXT I waxed my car about 3 or 4 times with it last year.. I did notice sometimes that it would have different coloration.. but after about a day it went away.

Cobra-O

Established Member
Update with pictures

Well, I got home last night and tried again after taking these pictures.

I think you can see what I mean from these pictures if you look closely. I tried again last night after shaking the bottle forever and it did the same thing. I got out some of the old gold stuff and it worked like a champ and covered the mess the NXT made. Raining today, so I won't be able to finish.

I am pretty bummed about this stuff. it just made a total mess of my car. The pictures don't do it justice, but at least I can show what I am talking about.

No more NXT for me.

dscn05402jd.jpg

dscn05455az.jpg

dscn05511zf.jpg

dscn05592gk.jpg

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
I notice your car is black, and I don't think the NXT works too well with black to begin with. I tried the NXT, then gave the shit to my dad. What I have found to work VERY well on a black car is the Maguires Deep Crystal 3 step system. This stuff is AMAZING. It has a paint cleaner as step 1, a polish as step 2, then step 3 is the wax itself. This stuff is the best, bar none, off of the shelf from any store !! It's a carnauba base product, which is numero uno on black/dark paint-jobs. Try it out. You won't be disappointed.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I'll help you out here. Its all in what you do with it.

My car is Redfire, and I get hazing/streaking sometimes. You can do 2 things that immediately help.

1. Apply it thinner/quicker
2. Take it off faster.

So, just when it starts to haze, If you start at the front, with one fender, work your way across the hood, then finish with the other fender, you can go back and start taking it off on the other fender. Then the roof, one side, then the other, then turn around and take it off.

Once the entire car is waxed, if you still have streaking, take a microfiber, or tight, close woven cotton towel and some spray detailer and go all over the car. This gets rid of the streaking.

If you still have it, you just have to wash the car again. You don't have to strip it and start over, you just have to get the wax to "flow". I use Maalco or the NXT wash. Both work well.

Hope this helps.

Cobra-O

Established Member
Thanks for the advise, but I am just going to go back to using the Meguire's gold instead. I had no problems with that stuff at all.

Juiced-03

Established Member
You definitely applied it too thick. NXT needs to applied THINLY. But don't worry, you couldn't give away a bottle of NXT to me. Durability on it is horrible.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
I had the same problem with NXT once and it was because I left it on the car too long. I used it 3-4 more times since then with no problem and will continue using it. It's the easiest wax to remove I have ever used.

attachment.php

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I've always been sort of selective when using on the counter waxes you can buy from discount stores. For a long time, I've used Duragloss on mine (very satisfactory) but in time past I've actually had good luck with Eagle One products. A few months ago I noticed they had a new wax called NANO Wax and I decided to try it because of the deal they had in which they'd completely reimburse me for what it costs by rebate. It came with the liquid wax with a easy to use dispenser, applicator pad and a microfiber cloth and I must say that from my experience, its the easiest wax I've ever used in terms of applying and removing and it offers a great shine...at least IMO and I've got True Blue which is not exactly an easy color to wax either. It also seems rather durable too but I do use Eagle One Wax As You Dry in between regular waxings.

whitecobra98

Established Member
Underhood heat takes quite a while to dissipate. If u ran the car before cleaning it, that may have been why u had such a hard time with the streaking. Glad u squared it away though. Nothing like spending that kind of time for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread