McLaren F1 Successor? - The T50

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

Watched this the other day to show my dad this car. He couldn't believe how it sounded and how high it revs. They said it's the fastest revving production engine in the world at 52k RPM/sec so the T.50 can rev to the 11,500 redline in a quarter of a second! They also said the actual redline was 12k but they set it at 11,500 to be safe.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know the whole story but obviously Gordon Murray designed both cars, l would think McLaren would have wanted to be involved in making the car with Gordon, or maybe he didn't want to deal with them.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I don't know the whole story but obviously Gordon Murray designed both cars, l would think McLaren would have wanted to be involved in making the car with Gordon, or maybe he didn't want to deal with them.

Gordon wanted to build a car his way. He didn't want to be beholden to McLaren's existing body, suspension, or engine technology.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
About two years ago the family and I were heading to dinner travelling up I-355 in Bolingbrook IL. I noticed a large enclosed trailer had pulled onto the shoulder in the left lane with its ramp open. As we got closer I could see the car was out of trailer as they appeared to be working on the trailer itself. It took my brain a few seconds to realize it but the car, it was an F1. Theee only time I've ever seen one in person. My fam got a dissertation on how incredible the F1 was for the next 30 minutes until we arrived at the restaurant. I was a wreck for the remainder of the evening. Mostly because I was in disbelief that they would let that car sit alongside the highway with heavy speeding traffic inches from it. For my $20M, I'd have much better logistics in place to transport that thing. lol

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Cosworth are engineering masters; always been fascinated with their work. This V12 only weighs 392lbs and the timing set is a work of art.

knils1dd1eka1.jpg
2021-Gordon-Murray-T.50-Cosworth-V12.jpg

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've watched all of GMA's vlog videos on the T.50. If you have some time, all of them are really amazing to watch.

Here's one on the engine development at Cosworth:

And here is one where Gordon "signs off" on the design. The look in his eyes when he is driving is priceless. Pure satisfaction.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I've watched all of GMA's vlog videos on the T.50. If you have some time, all of them are really amazing to watch.

Here's one on the engine development at Cosworth:

And here is one where Gordon "signs off" on the design. The look in his eyes when he is driving is priceless. Pure satisfaction.

I showed my dad the engine building one and he was blown away at Coswroth's facility. He knows who they are and is familiar with the names but doesn't know the details and all of the engines they've built.

Was just reading an article about the Cosworth DFV V8 being the most successful racing engine of all time and a lot of the tech that was developed for the DFV engines was carried on and became standard, and you see it in this T.50 engine as well.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd still take the Mclaren F1 over this but as far as modern supercars go this is just so superior than anything the current big names make.
I'd have to agree, the T.50 is insanely impressive, but the F1 is special in every aspect

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the T.50 is better and more special in every aspect than the F1. The same guy pain-stakingly designed them both, and he has even better and more advanced manufacturing techniques and technologies available to him. There is no quantifiable area the F1 is better than the T.50. And even though hypercars are far more common now than in the mid 90s, the T.50 is still more special.

HOWEVER, my personal opinion is the F1 looks far better, and if I had the $20mil needed for one, I'd be getting that and driving the shit out of it. I gotta hit the lottery or get several promotions to get the 90s trifecta of an F1, F50, and CLK-GTR.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the T.50 is better and more special in every aspect than the F1. The same guy pain-stakingly designed them both, and he has even better and more advanced manufacturing techniques and technologies available to him. There is no quantifiable area the F1 is better than the T.50. And even though hypercars are far more common now than in the mid 90s, the T.50 is still more special.

HOWEVER, my personal opinion is the F1 looks far better, and if I had the $20mil needed for one, I'd be getting that and driving the shit out of it. I gotta hit the lottery or get several promotions to get the 90s trifecta of an F1, F50, and CLK-GTR.

It's certainly heavily subjective, but it's a "iynyn" type of thing. Plus, it spawned all these awesome iterations.

Crank up your speakers.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

I think the F1 is a way better looking car, but I'm sure the T.50 is more exciting drive.....maybe, unfortunately I'll never know.

Also you need to add the Porsche 911 GT1 to that list
porsche-911-gt1-strassenversion-front-1987.jpeg

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
@GTSpartan Yes, that is one serious check mark in the special column of the F1, how a car designed as a somewhat comfy, driver-focused fun car transitioned so easily into a dominant race car. Definitely will be the last street-car to win overall at Le Mans.

@2011 gtcs Yes, the 911 GT1 is gorgeous and badass, but I actually prefer the XJ220 over it for twin-turbo 6-cylinder supercars. In my Need for Speed 2 90s fantasy, my top 5 is rounded out by the Diablo GT and XJ220, with 993 911 GT2 in 6th.

Users who are viewing this thread